FATHER OF NICK HOGAN CRASH VICTIM ARRESTED FOR PLOTTING TO KILL WIFE: Edward James Graziano, the father of the man injured in Nick (Bollea) Hogan's 2007 car crash, was arrested on Thursday (February 26th) for plotting to kill his estranged wife. Bay News Nine in Florida reported that authorities had been investigating Graziano for two-and-a-half months, during which time he is alleged to have held multiple meetings and negotiations with a tipster and an undercover detective disguised as a go-between to a hit man. Detectives say that the 53-year-old paid $1,100 in cash, the same amount in a personal check and a pizza gift card to have Debra Graziano murdered. The couple's son, John, was left in serious condition from the 2007 accident, which led to Hogan serving eight months in jail for reckless driving.
TOM BRADY AND GISELE BUNDCHEN GET MARRIED: Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen got married in a small, private ceremony in Santa Monica, California, on Thursday (February 26). The New England Patriots quarterback and the Brazilian supermodel tied the knot just before 6 p.m. at St. Monica Catholic Church. The bride wore Dolce & Gabbana as did her three dogs, US Weekly reported. Brady and Bundchen got engaged in January.
JEWEL HEALING FROM INJURY: A day after she announced that a knee injury could affect her participation on Dancing With the Stars, Jewel assured fans that she's still in contention for the title. The singer blogged on Thursday (February 26th), "I went to the physical therapist yesterday and I can say that I am feeling better! He said if I take time now to heal I will be good to go by next week." She added that her husband, fellow contestant Ty Murray, is strategizing how to beat her. She added, "Ty said he thinks his best chance of beating me is if I get pregnant during the show so I would be too tired to dance," Jewel writes. "Talk about a strategy! Of course, that would be fine with me if it did happen, so either way would be a win!"
RICK SCHRODER SUED FOR ALLEGEDLY STEALING TOOLS: Rick Schroder is being sued for allegedly stealing $7,000 worth of tools from a woman, TMZ reports. Alicia Roberts claims her ex-boyfriend, Brent Black, who is a friend of the actor, stole the tools from her property and has named Schroder as a co-conspirator. Black tells TMZ that Roberts is just a "crazy, bitter bitch," who suing out of revenge. Schroder is counter suing for $5,000, claiming he's never even met Roberts and has lost work due to the case.
JONATHAN RHYS MEYERS IN REHAB AGAIN: Jonathan Rhys Meyers has checked in to rehab for the third time since 2005. Independent.ie reports that The Tudors actor is seeking treatment for his problems with alcohol at a facility in England. Meyers checked into California's Promises rehab center in 2005 and his rep confirmed that he'd returned to treatment in 2007. Suspicions about his current condition arose after he failed to appear at a couple of important recent events and was spotted purchasing what appeared to be a bottle of of vodka. In 2007, Rhys Meyers was arrested at Dublin Airport and charged with being drunk and in breach of the peace.
JASON WAHLER CALLS OFF ENGAGEMENT: MTV reality star Jason Wahler has called off his engagement. Lauren Conrad's 22-year-old ex-boyfriend proposed to now-21-year-old Katja Decker Sadowski not long after his split from The Hills star. He told Usmagazine.com, "I have decided to end my engagement, and it's an amicable split," adding, "We agreed we are both just too young to be considering getting married right now." Wahler is currently shopping around his own reality show called Jason and the Cougars.
SALMA HAYEK HONEYMOONS AT WORK: Salma Hayek's Valentine's Day wedding in Paris might have been romantic, but the newlywed spent her honeymoon on the set of NBC's 30 Rock. Hayek, who is in the midst of filming a multi-episode plot line on the comedy, "flew right from her wedding to come shoot with us," on screen beau Alec Baldwin told Us Weekly magazine. Baldwin added that he wasn't surprised that Francois-Henri Pinault exchanged nuptials with the mother of his 17-month-old daughter, exclaiming, "He's a genius. Of course he should marry her!"
DAVID BECKHAM LIVING AT GEORGE CLOONEY'S HOUSE: David Beckham is currently living in George Clooney's Italian home while the actor is away. People magazine confirmed that the soccer star has taken up residence in Clooney's digs while he's playing for AC Milan under a loan agreement with his Los Angeles soccer team, the LA Galaxy. Hello! magazine reported that the two hunky stars developed a friendship after being introduced by Giorgio Armani at a New York event last year.
'DANCING WITH THE STARS' PROS PLANNING 2009 WEDDING: Dancing With The Stars pros Karina Smirnoff and Maksim Chmerkovskiy plan to tie the knot before the end of the year. The couple, who got engaged last New Year's Eve, told Us Weekly magazine, "We started talking about it and figuring out when and where we're going to have it. But there's so many family members that have a say that we got to try to make sure that everyone will be happy. But we think it will be sometime before the end of this year. So, not so long." Smirnoff and Chmerkovskiy, who are respectively paired with Steve Wozniak and Denise Richards on the upcoming season, will face off on the dance floor beginning March 9th.
Water Cooler Talk
- New statistics show that Britons are turning to stomach stapling for losing weight. Those procedures were up 40% in 2008.
- Holly Madison and Criss Angel have ended their four-month romance.
- According to Woman's Day, 60% of you believe in ghosts.
- Paul McCartney and his latest lady friend Mary are resurrecting his late wife's line of vegan frozen food products.
- Wheel of Fortune celebrates its 5,000th show today. For the record, Jeopardy is over 5,700.
- Singer-guitarist Steven Page has left the Barenaked Ladies.
- Jerry Seinfeld is producing a new reality show for NBC called, "The Marriage Ref"... which will be on next summer.
- It's the bank of mom and dad: The average 25-year-old gets about $2,300 annually from her folks, a study shows.
- Chris Brown started taking anger management classes this week.
- Juilianna Margulies and George Clooney will both be back for the March 12th episode of "E.R." The show began filming its final episode this week. That will air April 2.
- The woman who was with Morgan Freeman when he crashed his car earlier this year is suing the actor because of her injuries.
- Playing drums in a rock band requires the extraordinary stamina of a professional athlete, according to researchers from the University of Chichester and the University of Gloucestershire in the UK. It also burns 600 calories an hour.
- Jewel's tendinitis in her knees is bothering her so much, she may have to drop out of the upcoming "Dancing with the Stars."
- 36% of Americans aged 18 to 29 have at least one tattoo.
- In Florida, they found the body of a man missing for a week. It was in the back seat of his parked car... that had received seven parking tickets.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, Toby Keith, Sugarland, and Taylor Swift will all be paying musical tribute to "King" George Strait as the Academy of Country Music's Artist of the Decade. Strait will be honored during a special TV taping at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on April 6th, the night after The Academy of Country Music Awards. The special will air at a later date on the CBS Television Network.
- Tickets to the live concert event are available to the public for $200, $150 and $100 through Ticketmaster.com. Proceeds of all sales benefit the Academy of Country Music Charitable Fund (ACMCF).
Billy Currington has been splitting his time between Nashville and Hawaii these days. When he's not touring or recording, Currington told us he's soaking up the sun whenever possible: "When I'm off I love spending time over there in Hawaii. Pretty much my whole off-season I go over there. Being over there is just such a peaceful place for me, and I've made a lot of friends over there. I joined a paddling team over there. Once or twice a week we're six-man canoe paddling out there. (I do) a lot of hiking, a lot of surfing."
- Only four other acts have received the Artist of the Decade honor, including Marty Robbins in 1969; Loretta Lynn in 1979; Alabama in 1988; and Garth Brooks in 1998.
- This marks the first time the Artist of the Decade honor will be presented as a separate television special.
s with living by the water:"I was actually born on an island in Savannah, Georgia -- an island called Tybee Island -- and that's where I grew up for a little while, so, I mean, the ocean and all that kind of stuff has always been in me, but Maui's just a whole different place. I've seen a lot of things over there that I really fell in love with and I just can't let go of, so anytime I'm off I'm trying to figure out how I can get back over there."
Jewel has been temporarily sidelined from Dancing With The Stars rehearsals due to a knee problem. The singer told fans on her website that she has developed tendinitis in both knees and is taking steroids to deal with the problem. At one point she wondered if she would be able to compete on the show, but received some good news on Wednesday (February 25th), writing, "So, I went to the physical therapist yesterday and I can say that I am feeling better! He said if I take time now to heal that I will be good to go by next week. I hate missing these days, but it's all for the best in the long run, because I'm in it for the long haul and I wanna win it!"
- The singer celebrated his latest chart-topper, "Don't," at a party in Nashville earlier this week.
- Currington's new single is called "People Are Crazy."
Jewel also revealed that her husband's strategy to beat her is to get her pregnant during the season so she's too tired to dance. The singer said, "Of course, that would be fine with me if it did happen, so either way would be a win!"
- Both Jewel and her husband, rodeo champ Ty Murray, are competing on this season of Dancing With The Stars.
- The new season will begin on March 9th at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.
FAST FACTS Jake Owen considered himself still very much a fan when he landed his first opening slot on Kenny Chesney's tour a couple years ago. Though he tried to play it cool, Owen tells us he was starstruck by the headliner: "I remember walking the hallways and I'd see Kenny by the bus or something and I'd walk by and not want to say anything and Kenny would be like, 'Jake! What are you doing? What's going on?' and I'd try to be cool and carry on a conversation and be like, 'Oh nothing, man. I'm just hanging out,' and then I'd walk away and I'd grab my cell phone and I'd call my brother and I'd be like, 'Dude, Kenny just said hey to me. I was talking to him . . . (laughs)' I've come so far because now it's like it's not a big deal anymore."
Owen says that while some may still consider him a newbie, he's never made to feel that way by his fellow entertainers:"I haven't sold as many records. I'm not a huge superstar like they are, but they treat me like I'm one of them, you know? It's such a validating feeling, cause I feel like I finally made it. I'm not the kid trying to fit in anymore."
Actor Jack Black will be among the 14 Grammy and 30 International Bluegrass Music Association Award winners taking the stage of the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday (February 28th). The evening's two shows will be held at the historic Ryman Auditorium, the Opry's original home. Black is the son-in-law of Grammy-winning jazz icon Charlie Haden, who will be making his Opry debut with an all-star band.
- Owen released his sophomore album, Easy Does It, earlier this week.
- His debut single, "Don't Think I Can't Love You," is a Top 10 hit on the country charts.
- Black played on the Charlie Haden Family & Friends 2008 Grammy-nominated release Rambling Boy, which also features appearances by Ricky Skaggs, Sam Bush, Stuart Duncan, Mark Fain, Rob Ickes, Jim Mills, and Bryan Sutton.
- For tickets to the Grand Ole Opry, call (800) SEE-OPRY or log on to opry.com.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
STAY MARRIED FOR THE PLANET'S SAKE: Staying married is better for the planet because divorce leads the newly single to live more wasteful lifestyles, an Australian lawmaker said earlier this week. When couples separate, they needed more rooms, more electricity and more water. This increased their carbon footprint, Australian Associated Press (AAP) quoted the lawmaker as telling the hearing on environmental issues.
'SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE' SPAWNS BOLLYWOOD DANCE CRAZE: Bollywood dance workouts, already popular in New York City, are getting a boost from "Slumdog's" success. One instructor told the New York Daily News that her class sizes doubled as the movie took off.ARE GUYS WITH LESS TO SPEND LESS OF A CATCH? The market crash has had a particular impact on young adults who developed their dating skills in fat times, the twentysomethings who spent lavishly to show that they could afford the finer things. Now, with national unemployment rates at 8.8 percent for people 25 to 34, they are looking for more creative ways to attract partners -- and reassessing what all that big spending really meant. One woman told the Washington Post, "They're spending more time at networking events, happy hours, with their guy friends -- trying to get leads on jobs, rather than spending it on women. I feel bad for the guys who don't have jobs." She added that she won't date them, "I guess I'm kind of traditional. So if a guy can't really take you out or doesn't have the money or the state of mind to take girls out, then it's not going to go anywhere."
WHY MEN PREFER BLONDES: The science behind what people find attractive remains largely theoretical. However, a consensus emerges among theorists: We are generally attracted to people who are most likely to protect and preserve our genes as a human race. For example, we are more likely to be attracted to a healthy young face than an old diseased one because this increases the chances of producing healthy offspring. Following this theory, it is believed by some that the reason blond hair, which is much rarer than brown or black hair, is deemed more attractive is due to a subconscious human desire for a bigger, and therefore healthier, gene pool. (MSN)
WOMEN DON'T WANT MAJOR COSMETIC OVERHAUL: Given a choice, more women would opt for simple nonsurgical cosmetic procedures over drastic changes, a study in the European Journal of Plastic Surgery reports. Here's a look at what procedures women hope for, rated on a scale of 0 (no way) to 7 (hell ya):
- Teeth whitening: 4.10
- Body-hair removal: 4.04
- Facial-hair removal: 3.40
- Acne scarring reduction: 3.15
- Minimization of sun damage or scarring: 3.14
- Liposuction or fat removal: 2.38
- Tummy tuck: 2.27
- Eye-bag removal: 2.14
- Ear pinning: 1.99
- Anti-wrinkle eye treatment (e.g., Botox): 1.98
- Breast enlargement: 1.36
HOLLY MADISON AND CRISS ANGEL SPLIT: Hugh Hefner's ex-girlfriend Holly Madison and her rebound beau, Mindfreak star Criss Angel have split after four months of dating. A source close to the pair told E! News, "She was very much in love with him, and they're still very close friends," adding, "It was a conflict of schedules. She felt she couldn't devote 100 percent of her time in Vegas and his career at the expense of her career and her goals."
'DANCING WITH THE STARS' PRO DATING 'IDOL' REJECT: Dancing With the Stars pro Mark Ballas has been dating recent American Idol cast-off Joanna Pacitti for the past eight months, the couple revealed to People magazine. The reality couple went public at Tuesday's (February 24th) premiere of the Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience, where Ballas told the magazine, "We both love music, we both love art, we both love dance. That's what we're all about so we are always there for each other." He revealed they'd been friends for a long time, but only struck up a romance last year when both were spending time in North Carolina. Pacitti, who producers deemed ineligible for American Idol because of her pre-existing music connections, added, "I think we have the perfect situation. We both get each other and understand schedules and even on a musical level, I've never met someone that's so passionate about music . . . that's what I live for so it's amazing to be with someone who gets it."
OWEN WILSON AND KATE HUDSON VISIT PARIS: Owen Wilson and Kate Hudson, whose rekindled romance was reported earlier this month, are visiting the city of love together. The couple wore dark glasses and hats in an unsuccessful attempt to avoid being spotted.
'SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE' KIDS GETTING NEW HOMES: The child stars of Slumdog Millionaire will no longer live lives mirroring those of their destitute characters. Reuters is reporting that Indian government authorities are providing new homes in Mumbai for Rubina Ali and Azhar Ismail, the two lead child actors in the Oscar-winning film. Gautam Chatterjee, head of the state-run Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority, said, "These two children have brought laurels to the country, and we have been told that they live in slums, which cannot even be classified as housing." As the movie rose to prominence, there were protests about the living conditions of the youngsters and their families. Director Danny Boyle denied claims that the two were exploited and said they were paid above local Indian wages.
LIZA MINNELLI DOESN'T REGRET HER MARRIAGES: Liza Minnelli has had a flair for the dramatic since she was born, and that translates into her love life. In an interview with Liz Smith for Parade magazine, the 62-year-old actress said she'll never marry again. She said, "I mean, Peter Allen -- Liz, I was with him when he died. He was a great love. Jack Haley was a genius, a wonderful man. And Mark Gero -- well, that was hard." She did not address her last ex-husband, David Gest, by name, but when asked about him said, "Darling, I was recovering from brain encephalitis!"
TAYLOR LAUNTER READY TO STEAL HEARTTHROB SPOTLIGHT: Rob Pattinson might have reaped the female fan benefits of Twilight, but 17-year-old Taylor Launter is set to steal the spotlight in the film's sequel. MSNBC's The Scoop reports that Pattinson's character leaves town after just two scenes in New Moon, leaving Launter's character Jacob Back to romance Kristen Stewart's Bella. Rachelle Lefevre, who plays Victoria in the films, told Life & Style magazine, "Taylor's very serious about forming a connection with Kristen. He'll make sure his relationship with her is just as intense and has just as much chemistry as Rob's. I think Rob should watch out!"
KIM KARDASHIAN APOLOGIZES FOR POSTING CHIMP PICTURES: Kim Kardashian admits that it was insensitive of her to post pictures on her website of a chimp she was pet-sitting during the same week that the species made headlines for mauling a Connecticut woman. The reality star wrote on her blog, "I understand my timing was not appropriate and it was insensitive of me, so I want to explain. The pictures I posted are from six months ago when we were filming season three of Keeping Up With the Kardashians. I had held onto these pictures for months and preset them to run the month before my show was going to air, to give you guys exclusive glimpses into season three." She added, "What happened to the woman that was attacked by the chimpanzee was devastating! Our family is praying for everyone involved in that traumatizing attack. In no way did I mean to insult or offend anyone by posting these pictures."
LINDSAY LOHAN AND SAMANTHA RONSON RESCHEDULE CANCELED VALENTINE'S DAY EVENT: Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson have rescheduled the Valentine's Day event they were supposed to host in Miami. Although the couple was photographed arguing outside a nightclub just a day before the event, they canceled at the last minute, claiming they were both too sick to fly. In a statement from the hotel where they are scheduled to appear, Ronson said, "I'm really looking forward to making up the Valentine's gig on March 7 at Passion Nightclub at the Seminole Hard Rock."
KFLAG Country Music News
Taylor Swift seems to be living among the so-called "beautiful people" since catapulting to superstardom. The singer has been spending her fair share of time in Hollywood, befriending fellow celebrity teens like Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato and the Jonas Brothers. Swift says that despite the perception, her famous friends are just like her -- normal: "Hanging out with Hollywood kids is really, really fun because they're not that different from me. They're normal people with abnormal schedules, and that's what I am, you know? I'm a normal girl. I just have a really crazy schedule, and I think when you approach your life from that direction and that way it's like you try to find other people who are down to earth and haven't let it affect them."
Swift adds that she has chosen friends who share her moral character: "I'm lucky to be, you know, close to people who haven't let their lives and the way that their lives have gone completely affect them, so being friends with Selena Gomez and people like that, and Kellie Pickler, you find people that you mesh really well with, and hanging out with them, they're not gonna pressure me to do things that I don't believe in cause they have the same morals as I do. They're not going to act like they really care too much about the whole Hollywood thing cause we're just trying to live our dreams and be the same people we started out being."
Alan Jackson is a world away from being the blue collar working man he was when he first pursued his dream of being a singer and songwriter. Though his music still speaks to the common man, Jackson tells us his life today is hardly relatable: "You definitely change. You have to because I'm so removed from normal life anymore. I mean, I don't work, you know, and I've made a lot of money so I'm not struggling to get by. You know, it's just a totally different life, so it is, I think, harder to really be able to connect with what people are going through every day just trying to get by and pay bills and keep everything going."
- Swift holds firmly to the Number One spot on the all-genre Billboard 200 album chart this week, for an overall 10th week at the top. More than 62,000 copies of her Fearless CD were sold last week.
- Swift kicks off her first headlining tour on April 23rd in Evansville, Indiana with opening act Kellie Pickler.
Jackson says he often draws from his life before fame and wealth came his way in order to connect with listeners: "I think what helped me is I didn't come out of high school and come to Nashville and become a country star. I was working when I was 12 years old and I'd had every job you can imagine. I mean, I was 30 years old before I got a record deal so I had lived as an adult and done a lot of things, and I think that's where I acquired enough information about real life to be able to pull from that all these years, and then since then, even though it's been a celebrity lifestyle, I've had enough ups and downs in my personal life to be able to pull from love songs and tragedies in your life and so forth, so that's how I've been able to stay connected."
Toby Keith will host his sixth annual Golf Classic to benefit Ally's House, an organization that the singer helped establish to assist pediatric cancer patients and their families throughout the state of Oklahoma. The event will kick off on June 12th at the Riverwind Casino in Norman, where golfers and their guests will enjoy food, live music and an auction. The tournament itself will be held on June 13th.
- Jackson's brand new single, "Sissy's Song," is already climbing the country charts. He wrote the song about a former employee of his who died unexpectedly.
- Keith said, "I will always be committed to these kids. More of them are diagnosed all the time and they need our help now like never before."
- Ally's House is named for Allison Webb, the daughter of Keith's friend and original bandmate Scott Webb. Ally died of cancer in August of 2003, one month short of her third birthday.
- To date, the annual event has raised more than $2.3 million for the organization.
- Since its inception in 2004, Ally's House has helped the families of nearly 300 children during their cancer treatments.
Martina McBride will be among the performers taking part in the Stevie Wonder In Performance at the White House: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize airing on Thursday (February 26th) on PBS. McBride performs "You And I" as part of the tribute to Wonder and his receipt of the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. President and Mrs. Obama were in attendance at the event, which was taped on Wednesday (February 25th) at the White House.
Naomi Judd will return as a judge for the second season of CMT's Can You Duet. The singer will weigh in on determining country music's next great duo.
- Stevie Wonder In Performance at the White House: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize also includes performances by Tony Bennett, Diana Krall, Esperanza Spalding, Will.i.am, the gospel duo Mary Mary, and Wonder himself.
- Two additional judges will be announced in the near future.
- Auditions for the show will take place through open casting calls, showcases and videotaped submissions. The producers of Can You Duet will hold an open call audition on Saturday, March 7th at the Wildhorse Saloon in Nashville.
- Last year's winners, Caitlin & Will, signed to Sony Music Nashville's Columbia Records. Their debut single, "Even Now," is headed to radio.
- Finalists Joey + Rory signed to Vanguard/SugarHill and released their debut album, Life Of A Song, in October 2008. Since then, the married couple have become the national spokespeople for Overstock.com. They are nominated for Top Vocal Duo at the upcoming Academy of Country Music Awards.
The Country Music Association (CMA) has decided to change voting procedures for the Country Music Hall of Fame. Three inductees will continue to be elected, however the categories have been renamed and redefined to include the Veterans Era, for "professionals that have been in the industry longer than 25 years," the Modern Era, for "professionals that have been in the industry at least 20 years, but no more than 25 years," and a rotating category that changes every three years to include the Recording and/or Touring Musician, Non Performer, and now the Songwriter category.
These changes will be effective beginning with the 2010 ballots.
- The CMA created the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1961 to recognize and honor noteworthy individuals for outstanding contributions to the advancement of Country Music.
- The 2009 recipients are Roy Clark, Barbara Mandrell, and Charlie McCoy. They will officially be inducted into the Hall in May.
WATER COOLER TALK
- After 33 years, the New York Post has dropped 86-year-old gossip columnist Liz Smith.
- The CW has just announced that "Gossip Girl," "One Tree Hill," "90210," "America's Next Top Model," "Smallville" and "Supernatural" will all be back in the fall.
- Victoria's Secret supermodel Adriana Lima has eloped with NBA player Marko Jaric, who plays for the Memphis Grizzlies. The two were married in a small civil ceremony on Valentine's Day that took place in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, reports People magazine.
- Researchers at Harvard Medical School in Boston conducted a long-term study founding that people who eat just one egg a day are 58% to 77% more likely than non-egg-eaters to develop type 2 diabetes.
- Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger will play himself later this year in a movie by Sylvester Stallone. The governor said he has done just three cameos for friends since becoming governor in 2003.
- One of the gossip web sites out there has pictures of the "wardrobe malfunction" Beyonce experienced at the Oscars Sunday night. Brief, but photos show there was a nipple-slip.
- Rosie O'Donnell says that she gave up drinking because her 13-year-old son told her that she might be ready to join "the drunk club."
- Andy Richter is reuniting with Conan O'Brien and joining him June 1 as Conan's announcer and sketch player.
- Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green have called off their engagement.
- Jennifer Aniston and her steady John Mayer have been hanging in New York lately... and doing lots with their friends, Jessica and Jerry Seinfeld.
- The trendy tattoo: Rihanna, Lily Allen and Lindsay Lohan all have "Shhh..." on their index fingers.
- Where do you think the Slumdog kids went immediately after their Oscar appearance: Disneyland!
- Hitting the hay can give you a mental edge. The brain is better able to cement new information after you get your beauty rest, the journal Learning & Memory finds.
- The Killers are in a legal battle in Nevada, countersuing their former manager.
- Nicole Richie is pregnant with child #2.
- July 15, 2011. Write it down. That's the date the final Harry Potter movie will hit theaters.
Facebook Obsession Leading Folks To Crime
Isn't Facebook just great! You get to keep up with all your peeps and find the ones you haven't talked to in years! Apparently one 19-year-old man in Bradenton, Florida thinks so. His Facebook obsession was so great he asked a stranger in Starbucks if he could check his Facebook account on the stranger's laptop. When the stranger refused the guy grabbed the laptop and ran out. Two people in the parking lot tackled the Facebook-crazed teen and held him there until a mall security guard arrived. (Sarasota Herald-Tribune)
50 Jobs in 50 States
While many in America are just trying to find one job, 26-year-old Daniel Seddiqui of Theresa, Wisconsin, has lined up 50 -- one for each state of the union! Each job symbolizes its respective state's most famous industry, and each lasts just one week-- just long enough for the 26-year-old to appreciate the labor and explore the region. So far he's been a park ranger in Wyoming, a corn farmer in Nebraska, a wedding coordinator in Las Vegas and last week a cheese maker in southeast Wisconsin. Seddiqui, who grew up in Los Altos, California, insists his job-hopping isn't a gimmick but rather a legitimate effort to travel the U.S., learning about cultures across the country and developing a respect for what other people do. By example, at his Nebraska job he was surprised that every farmer he met had a college degree. (myway.com)
Huge Criminal Gets U-Hauled To Jail!
In Auburn, New York, police say 56-year-old Stephen A. Turo is the biggest criminal they've ever arrested. We're not talking about the scope of his crimes -- we mean the scope of his waistline! After being arrested for the alleged sale and possession of prescription painkillers, police had to use a U-Haul rental truck to haul the 700-pound man off to jail! Turo sat on a chair covered with a blanket in the back of the rental truck, shivering in the 18-degree cold, as Cayuga County Judge Thomas G. Leone arraigned him Monday on a 24-count indictment. If found guilty of just one of the felony charges, he could be sent to state prison for 25 years. If he lands in prison, he would be the heaviest inmate ever housed by the state Department of Correctional Services. Turo remained in the truck to be fingerprinted and have his "mug" shot taken by a sheriff's investigator. (The Post Standard)
A Really, Really Drunk Driver!
There wasn't much question that 50-year-old Johnnie Ed Roberts had been drinking when police in Fort Pierce, Florida pulled him over. Roberts had a beer can on the top of his pick-up truck and a cold Natural Ice in his hand when a Sheriff's Deputy approached. He also had bloodshot eyes, incoherent speech, and peed on himself in the deputy's patrol vehicle on the ride to jail. At the jail, Roberts urinated again all over himself. Rather than blow into the breath test machine, he tried to suck the air out. (TC Palm)
WHY MEN ARE LAZY AFTER BEING LAID OFF:
The fundamentals of American manhood have gone remarkably unchanged over the last century. Sure, men today may be taking care of kids, their skin and their feelings more than Grandpa Ralph ever did, but they still grapple with the same core problem: proving that they weren't just born male -- they've become Men. And during economic crises, men humiliated by their loss of work often compensate by reasserting their worst hypermasculine impulses (snacking, sleeping and channel surfing ) -- doubling down on old alpha-male stereotypes, rather than happily baking the bread that women now win in the workplace. (Newsweek)
EVERYDAY MYSTERIES EXPLAINED (MSN.com)
- Why do we shake hands with people? The origin of the handshake lies in medieval history. By offering a right hand to a stranger, a hand that could otherwise be used to draw a sword, men were overtly displaying their intentions of peace toward one another. Nowadays, from signing a treaty to settling a bet with friends, "shaking on it" remains a symbolic sign of agreement.
- Why do we have bad breath in the mornings? The unpleasant smell comes from bacteria living in your mouth. The bacteria are in fact in your mouth day and night, but while you're sleeping, the flow of saliva -- and thus oxygen -- decreases greatly. This allows the anaerobic bacteria to multiply, feeding on leftover food particles and skin cells. The waste product of this process often contains sulfur, and this is what smells so unpleasant.
- Why do we blush? When you're embarrassed or ashamed, your body releases a tiny amount of adrenaline. Adrenaline causes blood vessels in your face to dilate, allowing more blood to flow to your cheeks. This causes reddening, or blushing.
- Why do onions make you cry? When you slice through an onion, you cause a series of chemical reactions to occur within its cells. A gas called propanethiol S-oxide is released into the air and travels upward into your eyes. The gas then reacts with the water in your eyes to form a mild sulfuric acid, which causes itchiness. Your brain reacts by producing more water, or tears, to dilute the irritant and protect your eyes.
- Why are wedding rings worn on the fourth finger? There was an ancient belief that a vein, known as the "vena amoris," or "vein of love," ran directly from the fourth finger of the left hand to the heart. It was thought that this direct blood flow to the heart made it the perfect candidate for a wedding ring, as it solidified the union of love. However, in reality the veins running from the fourth finger are no different from those of any other finger, and it seems as if shrewd marketing, hearsay and tradition have designated the fourth finger as the "ring finger."
According to the online dating service:
Match.com has uncovered some fascinating facts about the American dating game. According to the online dating service:
- The ideal woman is flirtatious and a thrill-seeker who has an average build with long, light brown hair. She's educated and possesses a college degree. She doesn't smoke, but she does drink socially. She also enjoys public displays of affection.
- The ideal man is bold, assertive, and flirtatious. Mr. Right does not smoke, but he is a social drinker. He has dark brown hair, an average body, and a college degree. And one more tidbit: He likes to dance.
Cosmopolitan gives us five things in your room that drive him nuts:
- All the clothes you have shoehorned into your closet and drawers he can't even find a spot to cram a spare pair of boxers.
- Your array of scented candles. To guys Midnight Jasmine smells like tear gas.
- Your childhood stuffed animals and dolls. Why? Because the never stop staring.
- All 108 of your fluffy decorative pillows.
- The black and while prints of little kids holding hands, kissing, posing with annoyed dogs, etc. You don't even know those little brats.
WATER COOLER TALK
- The ratings for the Academy Awards were up from last year, but still appear to be the third lowest rated show in history.
- Paris Hilton's little sister Nicky made a citizens' arrest of a 50-year-old guy in southern California after he pushed her in the back. Drama runs in that family.
- Teenagers who listen to popular music with degrading sexual lyrics are more likely to have sex than teens who don't listen to this kind of music, according to a new study from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.
- Former NBA star Charles Barkley will spend five days in jail starting March 21st after pleading guilty to drunk driving.
- John Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston have started up the Jett Travolta Foundation, to help children with medical and emotional needs.
- For the record, Sean Penn left his wife out of his Oscar acceptance speech on purpose. He and Robin Wright Penn talked about it and decided, in order to get everything in on time, he'd skip thanking her.
- A geophysicist at Tel Aviv University in Israel says those UFOs aren't aliens from another planet. They are actually "sprites," which are flashes of light high in the atmosphere triggered by thunderstorms. Space.com reports that this puzzling natural phenomenon appear as dancing lights.
- Insiders say that Chris Brown sent a diamond bracelet and necklace, plus an iPod Touch to Rihanna for her birthday.
- Slumdog's Freida Pinto has already landed a role in Woody Allen's next film.
- Google had a g-mail crash on Monday. Still don't know why... they're working on it.
KFLAG Country Music News
Billy Currington celebrated his most recent Number One hit, "Don't," at a party in Nashville on Tuesday (February 24th). "Don't" is the lead single from Currington's Little Bit Of Everything album, which was released in October.
Prior to the release of "Don't," it had been nearly a year since Currington had new music on the radio. The singer told us that absence made topping the charts so much sweeter:"It's been a while since we had a song on the radio, and it's the first song off the album, so to have it go Number One is really special."
Currington says he was immediately drawn to "Don't," which is his favorite tune on Little Bit Of Everything: "It was probably my favorite recording on the album. I loved the song when I first heard it -- the soulfulness. The R&B side of it is what hit me at first. That's the kind of music I really, really love. I mean, I love the really, really country stuff but I love the R&B country the most. I'm glad we got pitched that song. It's special to me."
Garth Brooks played a private show in a small restaurant and bar located in a Nashville suburb on Sunday (February 23rd). The occasion was a thank-you concert for the Nashville Predators hockey team. Each member of the NHL team had made a donation to Brooks' Teammates For Kids charity, which provides financial assistance to children's charities.
- Currington's new single, "People Are Crazy," is headed to radio soon.
- The vibe was very low-key for Brooks. The performance area was "set up like a campfire scene," venue manager Jason Sheer told The Tennessean. He said, "He (Garth) wanted him, his guitar and a bar stool. There were about 60 people there, mostly from the Preds, and nobody was more than five or six feet away from Garth."
- In addition to his own hits, Brooks reportedly covered Bob Seger, James Taylor and others.
- Immediately following the show, Brooks jumped on a plane and headed to Detroit to do a similar show for the Red Wings.
- Brooks created the Teammates For Kids charity in 1999 with three separate sporting divisions -- hockey, baseball and football.
- The superstar officially retired from touring and recording in 2001.
- Since 2005, however, Brooks has resurfaced several times for various concert appearances and has released two compilation albums.
Rascal Flatts will roll out their new album song by song in the month leading up to the official April 7th release date of Unstoppable. The trio will release one track each week on iTunes, beginning March 10th with their current single, "Here Comes Goodbye."
- Rascal Flatts' JCPenney-sponsored American Living Unstoppable tour kicks off on June 5th. While the dates have not been officially announced, the trio will play in at least 60 cities each year for the next two years.
- Rascal Flatts are set to perform their first headlining stadium show on July 18th at Chicago's Wrigley Field. A local group of community members are pushing for the show's cancellation, however, saying it will conflict with the city's annual Summer On Southport Festival, another live music event.
LeAnn Rimes will star in the new Nora Roberts TV movie, Northern Lights, debuting on the Lifetime network on March 21st. Rimes plays the lead role of Meg Galligan, a pilot who is handy with a gun, as she tells us: "I was a bush pilot in Alaska and got to handle some guns, which I haven't done in a very long time. I grew up in Mississippi and Texas, so I definitely know my way around a gun (laughs). It was my second day on set. They took me out to a shooting range and I had to learn how to handle rifles and handguns, so it was fun. It was an interesting role. I was in Canada for a month. It was freezing, but it was beautiful. I had a lot of fun working with the people that I worked with -- Rosanna Arquette, Eddie Cibrian are the people that are in the movie -- and we enjoyed it. I just saw it the other day. I'm really, really happy."
- Rimes will also star in the upcoming film Good Intentions, co-starring Luke Perry.
- The singer will receive the Home Depot Humanitarian Award at The Academy of Country Music Awards on April 5th. The show will air live from Las Vegas on CBS.
MISCHA BARTON ADDRESSES WEIGHT RUMORS: Mischa Barton is addressing media reports that she's recently lost weight, but insists the dropped pounds are nothing to worry about. The 23-year-old wrote on her website, "Just so you guys know I'm happier and healthier than ever. Things are really well in Mischa world and I've just been watching what I eat." The actress, who was previously criticized by blogs for having too much cellulite on her thighs, added, "I still love my Pilates and yoga, and have cut back on fatty foods a bit. My time in India and Paris really just helped me lose a little bit of weight but there's nothing drastic going on!"
SIMON COWELL TO BE FROZEN? Simon Cowell doesn't want his death to be permanent. The American Idol host is quoted by the U.K.'s Daily Mail as stating that he wants to have his body cryogenically frozen at the time of his death. He said, "Medical science is bound to work out a way of bringing us back to life in the next century or so, and I want to be available when they do. I would be doing the nation an invaluable service." After many news outlets took his comments seriously, Cowell's rep specified on Tuesday (February 24th) that Cowell was only joking.
PORTIA DE ROSSI DENIES IVF STORY: Portia de Rossi is denying reports that she is undergoing in vitro fertilization treatments in the hopes of starting a family with Ellen DeGeneres. The actress told Access Hollywood, "There's a story around right now about me that could not be further from the truth. (The IVF story) was just completely made up. The baby thing comes around annually. I find once a year, you know, whether I deny it or not! It doesn't make any difference."
AUDRINA PATRIDGE ROBBED: Audrina Patridge's Los Angeles home was robbed on Sunday (February 22nd). On Monday (February 23rd), The Hills star blogged, "I had a really rough day today -- I got home late last night and realized that my house had been robbed. It was pretty devastating!" She added, "I spent most of the morning filling out police reports and going through the house room by room making lists of everything that had been taken. Most of the items are replaceable, but they took off with a few very sentimental things too. Definitely not a good way to start the week." Patridge has posted surveillance footage of the intruders online in the hopes of catching them.
NATALIE PORTMAN ROMANCING ROB PATTINSON? Rumors of a romance between Natalie Portman and Twilight's Rob Pattinson began circulating earlier this week after the pair was spotted hanging out together at a post-Oscar soiree. A reported friend of Pattinson told E!, "[Portman] seemed really into him, and went right up to say hello once she spotted him." According to the pal, Pattinson, who earlier in the night told E! that he was nervous about presenting an award at the big show, took the edge off his nerves with "Whiskey and Natalie Portman." Despite the flirtation, the two went their separate ways at the end of the evening.
'TRUE BLOOD' CO-STARS DATING: True Blood co-stars Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer are dating. Moyer recently told TV Guide that the romance has been going on for a while. He said, "The reason it was dodged last year was very intentional on both our parts. It was very important to me that the cast and crew we were working with didn't feel it was fickle, and didn't feel it could possibly potentially encroach on their lives, you know, just like, 'Oh the two stars are having a thing.' We didn't want to take anything away from the show. The show is the star, not the two people having a relationship."
EVAN RACHEL WOOD AND MARILYN MANSON BACK TOGETHER: Evan Rachel Wood recently denied reports that she was dating her The Wrestler co-star Mickey Rourke, and she's likely telling the truth in light of new evidence that the 21-year-old has gotten back together with her ex, Marilyn Manson. The New York Post reports that the odd pair was seen leaving a Los Angeles hotel together before Sunday's (February 22nd) Oscars. A source added that Manson emerged first and "said he was waiting for his girlfriend."
MEGAN FOX AND BRIAN AUSTIN GREEN SPLIT: Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green have reportedly split. Us Weekly magazine claims that the couple, who had been engaged since 2006, split because "the relationship had run its course." An insider told the magazine, "It's completely amicable, and they are remaining friends." Green, who is 35-years-old, has a six-year-old son from a previous relationship. When Fox, who is now 22-years-old, was asked about their nuptials last year, she told Us Weekly, "It's not going to be a big wedding. I'm not one of those girls. If it happens, it will be very low-key and quick and unplanned." Although the couple doesn't have to worry about a divorce, they do still have each other's names inked on their bodies.
ON THIS DAY
Pope Gregory XIII established the Gregorian calendar way, way back in 1582. The Gregorian calendar is a reformed version of the Julian calendar, and is the calendar most commonly used in the world today -- Bet you didn't know this, but your calendar tells more than the day and date. It also speaks volumes about the kind of person you are -- and the kind of person you're destined to be. So says psychologist Dr. Richard Rodmund, author of the forthcoming "Weeks, Months and Daylight: How Your Calendar Reveals Your Destiny."
- Plain -- Choosing an unadorned calendar without pictures or extraneous graphics marks you as a no-nonsense, goal-oriented person. You march to your own drum. The year ahead will move you closer to your financial objectives and you'll live more comfortably. But be sure to set aside special time for the ones you love.
- Wildlife -- If you picked a calendar with pictures of wild animals in outdoor settings this year, you have a hunger to be free of some limitation in your life. You could be heading for a new job or less stifling relationship in 2005. But think major changes through carefully.
- Celebrities -- If your calendar contains photos of sexy movie stars or rock singers, you may feel unappreciated. You yearn for acceptance in some are of life. You'll make a big breakthrough this year. People who've been ignoring you will sit up and take notice.
- Humor -- If your calendar is full of cartoons or jokes, you're headed for good things. Research shows people who value their sense of humor have a perspective on life that their more serious counterparts don't. Chances are good you'll be learning a new skill or taking up a challenging new sport this year.
- Cute animals or babies -- Adorable animal or baby pictures on your calendar indicate a desire to protect or care for another person -- or yourself. This is the year when you will joyously meet a responsibility you've been unintentionally ignoring. The year's end will find your self-esteem soaring because of the action you take.
- Contact sports -- Football, boxing or soccer calendars mark you as someone who's ready to face opposition this year, and the opponent is likely to be some aspect of yourself. Don't be surprised if you quit smoking, stop overeating or give up some other undesirable habit.
- Non-contact sports -- Picking a running, gymnastics or figure skating calendar indicates that this will be a year in which you'll declare your independence from people or situations that have been holding you back. You may ruffle some feathers, but you'll be far better off by 2005.
- Wise Quotations -- Choosing a calendar containing Bible passages or quotes from great thinkers shows you're open-minded and hungry to expand your knowledge of the world. You could be going back to school this year, or embarking on a challenging new career. Travel is a very real possibility.
SIMON COWELL BACK WITH EX? Although they both confirmed having split amicably late last year, Simon Cowell and Teri Seymour may be giving their breakup a second thought. Rumors are flying that the pair is back together after the New York Daily News reported that they attended Elton John's Oscar party together over the weekend.
ROB PATTINSON AND KRISTEN STEWART ARE JUST FRIENDS: Rob Pattinson's place in Kristen Stewart's love life is solely on screen, the Twilight actress insists. Despite rumors of a romance between the co-stars, Stewart told Nylon magazine, "Rob and I are good friends. We went through a lot together, so we feel very close." She said that because they're close friends, the relationship gets taken out of context, adding, "If we go out in public, every little detail is scrutinized, like the way I stand next to him. And it's like, I know this guy really [expletive] well. It's only natural that we're sort of leaning on each other, because we're put in the most . . . psychotic situations."
PARIS HILTON IS EXCITED ABOUT NICOLE RICHIE'S PREGNANCY: Members of the Hilton clan, who Nicole Richie grew up alongside, are thrilled that their friend is expecting her second child. Former BFF Paris Hilton told People magazine, "I'm so excited for Nicole," while her mother Kathy added, "I think it's going to be a boy. I'm never wrong." Richie's longtime beau Joel Madden announced that they were expecting another baby over the weekend. The couple has a one-year-old daughter named Harlow.
RACHEL MCADAMS AND JOSH LUCAS GETTING SERIOUS: Although the romance between Rachel McAdams and Josh Lucas only recently became public knowledge, the relationship is reportedly more than just a fling. The New York Post reports that the actors skipped the official New York Oscar Night Party because they "went to Toronto together to meet Rachel's family. It's getting serious."
MOM WANTS MATILDA LEDGER TO BE A DOCTOR: Although she's the daughter of two thespians, Matilda Ledger will not grow up in Hollywood, her mother Michelle Williams insists. Williams told the told the U.K.'s Daily Telegraph that she hopes the three-year-old becomes a doctor, but admits Matilda is leaning towards becoming a cowgirl right now. She explained that her daughter's upbringing will happen away from Los Angeles "for all the obvious reasons. Being an actor's daughter. It's a town that's about one thing, and I want her to have options." Williams is currently enjoying life as a stay-at-home mom and looks forward to taking a year off before returning to work.
DIANE KRUGER SAYS SHE DID NOT HAVE A NOSE JOB: Diane Kruger is denying reports that she's had a nose job. The actress sparked speculation that she'd undergone rhinioplasty after she showed up at a New York Fashion Week event with bruises under her eyes. Her rep chalked the marks up to a different procedure, clarifying to Us Weekly magazine, "The truth is she had laser eye surgery the day before." PETER FALK'S DAUGHTER GRANTED VISITATION WITH DAD: A Los Angeles judge ruled on Monday (February 23rd) that Peter Falk's daughter Catherine, who recently filed papers to establish a conservatorship of her father, can meet with him for a brief time within 30 days. An attorney for the younger Falk said that his client has not seen her father, who suffers from Alzheimer's disease, in about six months. Although a story printed by the Associated Press
did not mention details about Falk's wife, last month Shera Danese Falk filed papers opposing Catherine's bid to be named her father's conservator. Catherine wants to be in charge of her father's affairs for fear they are being mismanaged, however Shera, who is currently entrusted with her husband's estate, contends that her husband is receiving adequate care and does not have a close relationship with his daughter.
WATER COOLER TALK
- Kelly Groucutt, one-time bass player for the Electric Light Orchestra, has died of a heart attack. He was 63.
- Prince Harry is said to be romancing Aussie singer Natalie Imbruglia.
- Fed up hearing that harsh alarm clock in the morning? There's a new alarm clock uses the smell of freshly cooked bacon to wake you up in the morning. The 'Wake N Bacon Clock' will even cook frozen bacon, placed inside the clock the night before.
- Wow, it's been 10 years since movie-reviewer Gene Siskel's death.
- Joel Madden and Nicole Richie are expecting their second child together.
- The two stars of "Slumdog Millionaire" Freida Pinto and Dev Patel, are dating.
- A Utah woman who hadn't cut her fingernails since 1979, lost them all when she was involved in a car crash. The longest had been 2-feet, 11-inches. She did make it into the Guinness Book of World Records with a combined length of 28-feet long.
- Rumor was that Rhianna was supposed to be a special presenter at Sunday's Oscars... but couldn't because of her injuries.
- Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has just signed a 3-book deal.
- This year's Academy Awards was up 6% over last year's ratings, but is still likely to be among the three least-watched Oscars ever. Last year's audience of 32 million was the smallest ever for an Oscar telecast.
- Charlie Sheen's wife Brooke is expecting twins in April. Over the weekend, they held a sports-themed baby shower. Guests included Paris Hilton and Barry Bonds.
KFLAG Country Music News
Toby Keith has the Number One song in the U.S. this week on both the Billboard/R&R and Mediabase/USA Today country charts with "God Love Her." This is Keith's 25th chart-topper of his career. * "God Love Her" is the second single from Keith's latest CD, That Don't Make Me A Bad Guy. SIDE NOTES * Keith unveiled his new line of clothing, called TK Steelman, last week during a fashion show in Las Vegas. * He will begin shooting a new movie, called Provinces of Night, in Wilmington, North Carolina in the coming weeks. The film also stars Hilary Duff. Jake Owen releases his sophomore album, called Easy Does It, on Tuesday (February 24th). Owen wrote eight of the 10 songs on the new CD, including his debut single, "Don't Think I Can't Love You." He will perform the song live on the Tuesday edition of Good Morning America. Owen says he's too laid back to actually get nervous about the release of Easy Does It, but tells us he did put some extra effort into the project so as not to let down his faithful supporters: "Making the second record was just a lot different because I had a lot of people that had a lot more invested in it this time than the first record. Now I've had so many people that have supported what I've done, believed in me, and I've got the fans that were on the road who have listened for the last few years now to me playing older songs, newer songs, songs they heard once and never heard again, and so I had to think about all that to appease the people that've helped me get where I am. There was a lot more thought involved, I think, in this record than the first." Owen says the songs on Easy Does It were pulled from a catalogue of tunes that were written over the past few years: "I don't write for records. I write all the time anyway because that's what I enjoy doing, so this record was kind of fun because I just pulled from a ton of songs that I'd already written. It represents where I am kind of right now in my life as opposed to when I was 23 when I got my record deal." * Owen will be in Las Vegas on April 5th to hear the winners announced at The Academy of Country Music Awards. The singer is nominated for Top New Male Vocalist and Vocal Event of the Year for "Life In A Northern Town" with Sugarland and Little Big Town. * Fans can vote online for Owen for Top New Male Vocalist at gactv.com. Voting continues through March 5th. George Strait and Reba McEntire will perform the grand opening concert at the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium on June 6th. Blake Shelton and Julianne Hough will join the two headliners at the $1.1 billion stadium. * This concert marks the first time that Strait and McEntire will actually perform a show together. McEntire said, "Our paths have passed many times at many different places, but the opportunity to do a show together like this has never presented itself. It's something I've looked forward to for a long, long time." * She added, "I appreciate that it is special for the fans to see us on the same show, and that makes me want to put on a great show. Plus, being a Cowboys fan for so long, I'm thrilled to be a part of the new grand opening. I can't wait!" * Tickets to the concert go on sale on Saturday (February 28th). SIDE NOTES * The first single from McEntire's next album is due out in April. * Strait will kick off his summer tour in May with openers Shelton and Hough. Jimmy Wayne visited the set of the ABC series Extreme Makeover: Home Edition on location in Montgomery, Alabama last week. He spent two days helping the show's crew and volunteers build for the family in need. Wayne also organized an impromptu benefit concert that raised more than $2000 for the family. During the concert, Wayne was joined onstage by Extreme Makeover regulars Ty Pennington, Paul DiMeo and Tracy Hutson, who all performed with him. * Wayne said, "It was an awesome feeling knowing that so many volunteers were involved, especially during a time when people are struggling so hard. It shows how selfless people can still be." * There is no word yet on when the installment of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition featuring Wayne will air. FAST FACTS * Wayne recently received the Dr. Richard H. Carmona Doorway of Hope Award for his efforts on behalf of HomeBase Youth Services, an organization that teaches at-risk and homeless youth to live healthy, independent lives. * Wayne will be a special guest on Brad Paisley's upcoming summer tour, which begins in June. Teenagers, get your texting fingers ready! Verizon Wireless has partnered with Taylor Swift for a national contest in which the high school with the most valid entries will win the opportunity to host a free concert by Swift at their high school. From now through March 23rd, students can text 'TS' to '3401' on their Verizon Wireless phones or enter online at taylorswiftconcerts.com. FAST FACTS * Swift spends her 9th week at the top of Billboard's Top 200 Albums sales chart. * Her single, "Love Story," is the first country crossover to land at Number One on the CHR/Top 40 in the 16-year history of Billboard's Nielsen BDS chart. * "Love Story" was the lead single from Swift's latest album, Fearless, which has sold more than three million copies. Jamey Johnson's latest single, "High Cost Of Living," is raising some eyebrows with its painfully honest description of a life derailed by drug use. Johnson says the song is meant to grab the attention of the listener to deliver a very serious message. 'The High Cost of Living' is not a song that's put out for the purpose of shock factor. It's not built for that. That's not the intent for that song. It's not there to be a joke, and it's not there to be made light of. It's there for the same reason those public service announcements air on Saturday morning cartoons about 'talk to your kids about drugs' and with those messages in mind. It's important." Johnson says that some might be offended by his choice of language in the song, but he feels it's best not to mince words. "There are people sitting in jail today that that song is their story. Why should their story not be told, and why should it not be played on the radio, and if the word is 'cocaine and a whore' then the word is 'cocaine and a whore'. Don't smooth it over with words that rhyme and don't exactly get the point across." * "High Cost Of Living" is the second single from Johnson's Grammy-nominated album, That Lonesome Song. * Johnson is nominated for three Academy of Country Music Awards, including Top New Male Vocalist and Single and Song of the Year for "In Color."
WHAT'S BEHIND YOUR SLEEP POSITIONS?
(Cosmopolitan) Sure, you might think you're just getting comfortable, but it's not that simple. How you slumber with your man can clue you in to some of your subconscious feelings:
- Face to face -- You're not only breathing on each other but also creating an enclosed circle with your bodies, which indicates how totally at ease you feel with each other. But for crying out loud, be conscious of your morning breath.
- Snuggled up -- It isn't easy to snooze wrapped around another person, so by doing so, you're choosing physical closeness over your own comfort a great sign of emotional intimacy. Chance are, the sex isn't half bad either.
- With your backs to each other -- If it's a recent phenomenon, it may be a subconscious indication that you're both pulling away. If it's the norm, you're likely just two independent people who don't need to be attached at the hip to be happy.
- With a hand or foot touching your partner -- This is a way to reassure him that your love is still alive and kicking. If it's something you've noticed happening more often, it may mean that you've been caught up in other things. So you're reaching out as a way to reconnect.
PERFUME REVEALS YOUR PERSONALITY
If something doesn't smell right, you might be wearing the wrong perfume for your personality. Scents, like the clothes and shoes you choose, should be just right to go with your inner self, so check out the following tips to see which is the whiff for you:
- Girly Girl -- need to go flowery. Think gardenia, hyacinth, lavender, lilac, jasmine or rose. Choose the right bouquet, and you'll smell beautiful.
- Woodsy Women -- want something foresty. Choose sandalwood, cedar or rosewood, and you'll be sending the signal that you're an earthy mama.
- Athletes -- nothing says sporty like citrus. Orange, lemon and lime are all perfect for putting pep in your step.
- Romantics -- range from sultry and sophisticated to downright mysterious. Experts recommend a mixture of exotic flowers and herbs.
- Self-Contained -- sorts smell best when they go spicy. Ginger, cloves and cinnamon all say individualist, loud and clear.
- Traditional Types -- tend to go for the classic kinds of aromas made up of blends of flowery fragrances.
- Career Gals -- make out best by opting for modern perfumes with subtle undertones. Never use anything overbearing, though, because you don't want people to smell you coming.
Want to be still holding hands after 40 more years?
Want to keep your loving relationship in tact? Want to be still holding hands after 40 more years? Here are some suggestions (from MSN.com Dating and Personals) on how to keep it together:
- Start solid. Remember that best friend you had when you were a kid? Whether blissfully playing side-by-side in the sandbox or building an awesome fort together, you two just grooved on being in each other's presence. Happy couples share that same serendipitous groove, if in the all-grown-up world.
- Keep it fresh. Routines and traditions can give a couple a comforting sense of predictability that's both grounding and reassuring. But surprises and adventures are also essential to really keeping that spark alive.
- Clear the air. It's perfectly natural for any couple to encounter frustrations, disappointments, and miscommunication from time to time. But if grievances go un-aired, they can pile up to a mountain of resentment and put the relationship at risk.
- Have a life. A healthy relationship consists of two individuals who each maintain a strong sense of themselves and take a genuine interest in the other. One may decide to go back to school to pursue a higher degree, while the other may get involved in a volunteer project or a photography workshop. Maintaining individual identities and pursuing individual interests ensures that there'll always be new things to share and to learn about each other.
- Tune it up. Whether it be once a month or once a year, a regularly scheduled sit-down can allow for some essential upkeep and maintenance of a healthy relationship. Happy couples may agree to a periodic summit meeting to check in with one another about the overall well-being of their partnership.
NICOLE RICHIE AND JOEL MADDEN EXPECTING SECOND CHILD: Nicole Richie and Joel Madden are expecting their second child together. In a posting on the Good Charlotte blog Saturday (February 21st) night, Madden announced that his longtime girlfriend, with whom he has a 13-month-old daughter named Harlow, is pregnant. On the blog, Madden asked, "What's better than winning an Oscar?" answering, "I am so happy to tell everyone that Harlow is going to be a big sister! God has truly blessed my family. Hope you're all feeling as good as I am right now."
BABY SHOWER HELD FOR CHARLIE SHEEN'S TWINS: Charlie Sheen is apparently excited to be adding sons to his brood of three daughters, holding a sports-themed baby shower on Saturday (February 21st) in anticipation of his twin boys with wife Brooke who are due in April. People magazine reports that Paris Hilton, Eric Dane and baseball star Barry Bonds were among the guests who attended the soiree at the home of Dr. 90210 star Dr. Nassif. Also in attendance was the actor's father, Martin Sheen, and his two young daughters from his marriage to Denise Richards.
SAMANTHA RONSON DENIES HAVING $500 HAIRCUTS: Samantha Ronson is denying a report in OK! magazine that claimed her gal pal Lindsay Lohan pays for her to get $500 haircuts. The DJ took to her blog to dispel the rumor, stating, "1. it doesn't cost $500 to cut my hair . . . have you seen my hair? I don't even have that many strands. 2. if for some reason i decided that I was going to throw $500 away on a hair cut I would pay for it myself, however- I have a great exchange going with my hair dresser- i make him cds- he cuts my hair. yay! cheap and cheerful!"
HAYDEN PANETTIERE HOOKS UP WITH 'GRIZZLY' MAN: Hayden Panettiere is not crying about her split from Heroes co-star Milo Ventimiglia. The 19-year-old, who the Chicago Sun-Times claims ended things with Ventimiglia after a pregnancy scare, attended a Los Angeles party last week with a "grizzly bear-looking" man. A source told the New York Daily News, "His name was Vladimir and everyone kept talking about how he was a wrestler," adding the the couple was so oblivious to anything besides one another, that they did not even notice a drunken partygoer urinating in a fireplace nearby to where they were standing.
DYING BRITISH REALITY STAR WEDS: A dying U.K. reality star who gained international fame in the wake of her cervical cancer diagnosis married her boyfriend in England on Sunday (February 22nd). Twenty-seven-year-old Jane Goody has made headlines in recent weeks for broadcasting her life after doctors said her illness was terminal. The former Big Brother star was reportedly paid $1.4 million for the media rights to her wedding, which she says will go towards financing the education of her two young sons from a previous relationship. Goody's rep said on Sunday that the wedding was a "happy ceremony with lots of tears, lots of smiles, lots of laughter . . . (a) very beautiful, very moving service," adding that she had taken painkillers to get through the day.
VIETNAM VETS PROTEST JANE FONDA ON BROADWAY: Jane Fonda's performance in Broadway's 33 Variations was protested on Saturday (February 21st) by about a dozen Vietnam veterans and others who are still angry that the 71-year-old actress made radio broadcasts critical of U.S. policy and sat on an anti-aircraft gun laughing and clapping in Hanoi during the Vietnam war. Dan Maloney of the Gathering of Eagles said, "Jane Fonda is a traitor. She got on Hanoi radio and called every U.S. serviceman a war criminal." Fonda has defended her anti-war activism but acknowledges that the incident sitting on the gun was "a betrayal" of American forces.
When men see a woman in a bikini, they see her as a sexy object.
Well, duh. But researchers at Princeton University have confirmed this scientifically. When men see a bikini-clad woman, the areas of the male brain that are associated with handling tools and the intention to perform light up. Men depersonalize sexual images of women. "This is just the first study which was focused on the idea that men of a certain age view sex as a highly desirable goal, and if you present them with a provocative woman, then that will tend to prime goal-related responses," psychology professor and said study leader Susan Fiske.
The top 10 fattest U.S. cities:
Miami, FL, is the fattest city in the U.S., according to an annual ranking by Men's Fitness of the nation's 50 largest cities. Salt Lake City was the fittest city. Each city was evaluated in more than a dozen categories, including the percentage of overweight citizens and the number of fitness centers and sports stores. The top 10 fattest U.S. cities:
- Miami, Florida
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- San Antonio, Texas
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- New York, New York
- Houston, Texas
- El Paso, Texas
- Jacksonville. Florida
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Louisville, Kentucky
Miami was the fattest city for six reasons:
- A large number of overweight people.
- A high rate of TV viewing among residents.
- Almost three times as many fast food restaurants as the average city.
- Low participation in outdoor activities such as biking, running and fitness walking.
- Long commutes.
- Poor air quality.