Jamie Foxx Singing at the CBS George Strait Special
WHAT 'JON & KAYE PLUS 8' TEACHES PEOPLE ABOUT LOVE: (YourTango.com)
- If you really love someone, you don't let cameras film every second of your relationship. Have Nick and Jessica, Carmen and Dave, and the Hogan family taught us nothing? Unless it's a 22-minute episode of the Family Feud or a brief interview segment on the Today Show about America's greatest hubbies, you do not mix marriage with national TV. Ever.
- The road to divorce is paved with controlling women. Women who treat their husbands like servants and talk to them like children shouldn't be surprised when said husbands begin to stockpile resentments, recoil from the occasional expression of tenderness, and run around with questionable company in suburban Pennsylvania.
- Rolling your eyes whenever your wife opens her mouth will not fix the fact that she has no respect for you. It's hard not to make dumb faces when your wife constantly talks to you as though you're stupid. But if Jon and Kate have taught us anything, it's that passive aggressive clowning will not make your spouse suddenly perceive you as intelligent or competent.
- If you don't want people to think you're having an affair, don't act like you're having an affair (or: the problem with running around with questionable company in suburban Pennsylvania; see point 3). Jon has insisted repeatedly that he and his schoolteacher friend were just "being innocent and hanging out" when the paparazzi snapped them sunbathing and riding around in his car at all hours. Maybe. But it's hard not to wonder: What married man behaves this way who's not having an affair?
- Multiples are a wonderful way to ruin your relationship. A singleton means you'll be up all night. Twins mean you'll be up around the clock. Triplets (or more) mean you'll be heading to divorce court before you know it. Even Kate admits she knows about the gloomy statistics. "Parents of multiples have like three times the divorce rate," she says in the season 5 premiere of Jon & Kate Plus 8, "And [I thought] we were gonna beat that, but I'm not sure I can say that anymore."
- Don't rush things. Jon and Kate met when she was only 22 and he was a mere 20. Three years later, they were married and parents to twins Cara and Mady. And less than three years after that, they were expecting the sextuplets. Maybe if they'd slowed things down a bit, Jon and Kate would have been able to develop the skills necessary to nurture their relationship a little more and fight over diaper duty a little less.
- Don't marry a man who already has a girlfriend or a woman who interrupts you. In a now-classic episode of Jon & Kate Plus 8 entitled "How We Got Here," the heads of the Gosselin family explain how they met. Kate says they were both at a picnic and it was love at first site. Jon then begins to say, "I had a girlfriend at the time," but Kate quickly interrupts, saying, "She was gone the next day." Ah, love. It's so grand that you can't see the millions of red flags waving around you, even when you're the one waving them.
STATES ADOPTING 'NO SMILE' POLICY FOR DRIVER'S LICENSES:
USA Today reported that four states are adopting 'no-smiles' policy for driver's licenses. "Neutral facial expressions" are required at departments of motor vehicles (DMVs) in Arkansas, Indiana, Nevada and Virginia. That means you can't smile, or smile very much. Other states may follow. The serious poses are urged by DMVs that have installed high-tech software that compares a new license photo with others that have already been shot. When a new photo seems to match an existing one, the software sends alarms that someone may be trying to assume another driver's identity. However, face-recognition software can fail to match two photos of the same person if facial expressions differ in each photo, meaning that dull expressions "make the comparison process more accurate," says Karen Chappell, deputy commissioner of the Virginia DMV, whose no-smile policy took effect in March.
TOP FIVER SIGNS YOU'RE HEALTHIER THAN YOU THINK
From Woman's Day:
- You have several cups of coffee each day -- A recent Swedish study found that people who drink 3 to 5 cups of coffee daily at midlife are less likely to develop dementia and Alzheimer's later on.
- You say "thanks" -- A new study reveals that expressing gratitude may be the key to happiness and overall well being.
- You laugh a lot -- Research has shown that laughter expands blood vessels and might even lower your heart attack risk.
- You tidy up your house -- Just 20 minutes of sweeping, scrubbing and doing other household chores can boost your mood, not to mention burn calories.
- You surf the Internet. UCLA research shows that it stimulates brain activity.
YOUR MAN IS MAKING YOU FAT
Hey, ladies, if you've mysteriously begun packing on the pounds, the culprit may be the man in your life, says a recent study. Getting married or moving in with a beloved can wreak havoc with a woman's healthy habits, including her diet and exercise program, says obesity expert Dr. David Haslam. When a woman lives with a man, their meals often become social events loaded with hefty-size, calorie-rich dishes intended to please the guys. Blinded by love, the damsels often end up eating larger portions of less healthy foods, perhaps replacing salads and fish with meat and potatoes, the doctor reports in the British medical journal The Lancet. In a cruel twist of fate, men gain proportionally less weight because their more muscular bodies require more calories, anyway. Making the problem even worse:
- The lovebirds are more likely to consume calorie-laden romantic meals in restaurants.
- Women often start skipping exercise sessions to spend "quality time" with their guys or to handle family errands.
- Taking the contraceptive pill causes many women to pack on about four extra pounds.
- Having babies often causes women to gain weight that can be difficult to shed after the little ones are born.
REASONS IT'S GREAT TO BE A WOMAN
- When a ship sinks, women (and children) get off first.
- A woman can hug her best friend without worrying she'll think she's gay.
- Women can talk to attractive members of the opposite sex without having to picture them naked.
- If a woman cheats on her spouse everyone will assume it's because she was being emotionally neglected.
- Women live longer than men.
- If a woman inexplicably disappears for two weeks, one of her friends will notice.
- There are times when a woman can make all her problems disappear with a piece of chocolate.
- A woman can fully assess a person just by looking at their shoes.
- A woman can take a drive without trying to beat her best time.
- If a woman forgets to shave, no-one has to know.
- Women are capable of going longer than five minutes without thinking about either sex or football.
- Women never lust after a cartoon character or the central figure in a computer game.
- Women can be groupies. Male groupies are stalkers.
- Women can cry and get off a speeding ticket.
- A woman can congratulate her team-mate without ever touching her rear.
- If a woman says something stupid, most men will just think she's cute.
- If a woman cries, she's sensitive; if a man cries, he's a wimp.
- Women know who their children are without having a DNA test.
- Women can watch one TV channel at a time without getting bored.
- A woman won't drive to Hell and back before she asks for directions.
Improve Your Cellphone Battery Life.
Check out these tips to extend your cellphone's battery life.
- Turn Off The Vibrate Feature - The energy required for turning the tiny motor which causes the phone to vibrate is almost double to that required for the same phone to ring.
- Turn Off Back Light - If you do require to use the back light then its best to keep your back light time out to no more than 3 seconds.
- Use Cellphone Just For Talking - Avoid playing games, using the built in camera feature, listening to music, instant messaging or surfing the web.
- Reduce Volume Level - Another way to increase your cellphones batteries is by lowering down the volume for the ring tone and by turning of unnecessary sounds.
- Turn Off Your Cellphone When Necessary
- Take Care Of Your Cellphone Battery - If possible try to fully charge your batteries nightly at minimal once every three days.
Cellphone batteries do lose their charge capacity as they age. This is due the general wear and tear and is to be expected. On average you can expect a modern cellphone battery to last for a couple of years before needing replacement.
Wedding proposals Gone BAD
Wedding proposals are usually the high point of couples' relationships, but not all of them go as planned. Here are seven wedding proposals that went awry:
- The woman who swallowed the engagement ring hidden in a milkshake.
- The engagement ring that took off inside a helium balloon.
- The quirky marriage proposal that triggered an UFO alert.
- The man who dropped the ring on Brooklyn Bridge.
- The woman who was swept out to sea before proposal.
- The man who got rejected in front of 20,000 people.
- The woman who swallowed her engagement ring hidden in a cake.
Find details of all seven ill-fated proposals. at http://www.oddee.com/item_96647.aspx
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- In the Netherlands, they've had such a drop in the crime rate that they're going to close 8 prisons and layoff 1200 prison employees.
- AT&T is looking into reports that their employees encouraged "power texting" -- sending 10 text messages at a time -- that could have played a part in the American Idol vote. More to come.
- Los Angeles police say they arrested Tom Sizemore, again, on a warrant issued on a court case in Central California. Sizemore's probation was revoked by a judge in April.
- Lindsay Lohan's father has been charged with making a threatening phone call to his girlfriend in Long Island.
- Rihanna's attorney says the singer will appear at a hearing next month as a possible witness in the assault case against Chris Brown.
- Hot than hot Halle Berry has cut her hair again... very, very short.
- Bob Hope, famed for his tireless travel to entertain American servicemen and women around the world, is being honored with a 44 cent postage stamp on Friday in ceremonies aboard the USS Midway in San Diego.
- Jessica Simpson is going to star in a new reality show called "The Price of Beauty," about what women go through to maintain their looks.
- John Lithgow will play Miami's latest serial killer in the next season of the Showtime series, "Dexter." It'll start September 27.
- Simon Cowell is flying in Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore for the finals of Britain's Got Talent on Saturday... because they're such Susan Boyle fans.
- ER's Parminder Nagra and her husband James Stenson have welcomed a son into the world, Kai David Singh Stenson.
- Toys R Us has bought FAO Schwarz.
- With all the spending that's been going on back in Washington, D.C., just so you know, there's talk of a national sales tax. It's come up before, but this time around, it may get the backing...
NASCAR On TV This Weekend
All action takes place at Dover International Raceway
(All Times Eastern)
- Camping World Truck Series qualifying - Today at 10:00 a.m. on Speed
- Sprint Cup Series practice - Today at 11:30 a.m. on Speed
- Nationwide Series final practice - Today at 1:30 p.m. on Speed
- Sprint Cup Series qualifying - Today at 3:00 p.m. on Speed
- Camping World Truck Series racing: The Autism Speaks 300 - Today at 5:00 p.m. on Speed
- Nationwide Series qualifying - Saturday at 10:00 a.m. on Speed
- Sprint Cup Series practice and final practice - Saturday at 11:30 a.m. on Speed
- Nationwide Series racing: The Heluva Good! 200 - Saturday at 2:00 p.m. on ABC
- Sprint Cup Series racing: The Autism Speaks 400 - Sunday at 1:30 p.m. on FOX
JON CRYER'S EX WIFE ARRESTED FOR CHILD NEGLECT: Jon Cryer's ex-wife was arrested for felony child neglect on Thursday (May 28) at her home in Hermosa Beach, California, TMZ reports. Trigger and Cryer have an eight-year-old son together, but police could not confirm that their child was involved in the alleged crime. TMZ is reporting that the child's neck had rope or chord marks when police arrived. Trigger was released on $100,000 bail.
DAVID HYDE PIERCE REVEALS MARRIAGE: David Hyde Pierce is a married man. The Frasier alum revealed on Thursday's (May 28th) The View that he and his longtime companion, Brian Hargrove, tied the knot last fall. Pierce said that although he's normally very quiet about his personal life, he wanted to speak out in the wake of California upholding anti-gay marriage initiative Proposition 8. He said, "Brian and I always kept a low profile. We didn't hide our lives. We got married very quietly last October 24 and thought that was fine, and then suddenly the state of California said, 'No, it's not.'"
TOM BRADY DENIES GISELE PREGNANCY: Although it's been rumored that Gisele Bundchen is carrying her husband Tom Brady's baby, the quarterback says it's not true. TMZ.com reported that after practicing with the New England Patriots, Brady said "No," when asked if he was going to become a father again. Brady, who has a young son with ex-girlfriend Bridget Moynahan, added, "One is enough."
BIJOU PHILLIPS CHEATS ON FIANCE WITH A GIRL? Bijou Phillips reportedly cheated on her fiance, actor Danny Masterson, with a woman. Fox News's Pop Tarts claims that the actress/heiress began grinding against a mystery blonde during a recent night out. A source told the paper that, "Eventually Bijou grabbed the girl and they started making out and getting it on ... Danny (Masterson) was nowhere to be seen."
REDMOND O'NEAL DOING WELL IN TREATMENT: Redmond O'Neal is reportedly doing well in his drug and alcohol rehab program. Commissioner Jane Godfrey informed the Los Angeles Superior Court of his condition during a progress report hearing on Thursday (May 26th). Usmagazine.com reports that although he's still in the trial phase of the program, his record could be wiped clean if he completes the whole thing successfully.
DRAMA ON 'THE HILLS': Drama on The Hills is already heating up between Audriana Patridge and newcomer Kristin Cavallari. When asked about the show's new addition by Ryan Seacrest, Patridge confessed, "I don't like her." Patridge admitted that the two had a fight during the first day of filming together, which Usmagazine.com speculates could involve her ex-boyfriend, Justin Bobby. She didn't explain the details but said, "When someone gets in my face, I have to defend myself. And, you guys, I mean, I can't say much. They'll show it, but I mean, all I have to say is, it's really pathetic and desperate what people will do when the cameras are around."
ON THE TUBE
TODAY SHOW/NBC 7:00AM (ET)
TOP 20 COUNTDOWN/CMT 11:00AM (ET)
GAC NIGHTS/GAC 12:00PM (ET)
LARRY THE CABLE GUY UNCUT: 60 MINUTES SPECIAL/CMT 1:30PM (ET)
KEITH URBAN: CONVERSATIONS FROM THE ROAD/GAC 5:00PM (ET)
Dan Haren slipped and fell after delivering a pitch in the eighth inning. It was one of very few stumbles for the right-hander all night. Haren outpitched Derek Lowe and the Arizona Diamondbacks took advantage of second baseman Kelly Johnson's error to score four times in the fourth inning on their way to a 5-2 victory over the Atlanta Braves last night. In the only other game in the National League on Thursday, the L.A. Dodgers beat the Chicago Cubs, 2 to 1.
Scores from the American League on Thursday...
Cleveland 2 Tampa Bay 1
Boston 3 Minnesota 1
Baltimore 5 Detroit 1
The Cleveland Cavaliers are heading to Orlando still alive in the NBA Eastern Conference finals. LeBron James had his fourth career triple-double -- 37 points, 14 rebounds and 12 assists -- in the Cavaliers' 112-102 victory that cut the Magic's series lead to 3-2 heading to Saturday night's Game 6 in Orlando.
The Denver Nuggets are facing a must-win game tonight in the Mile High City, trailing the L.A. Lakers 3-2 in the Western Conference final. The Lakers took the series lead with a 103-94 victory Wednesday night at Staples Center.
Pac-10 champion Arizona State plays Kent State in a first-round game of the Tempe Regional of the NCAA baseball tournament. The Sun Devils are 44-12 and are seeking their third College World Series appearance since 2005. Kent State is 42-15 and is facing ASU for the first time ever.
Defending national champion Arizona State faces Washington today in a second-round game of the college softball World Series in Oklahoma City. The Sun Devils opened with a 7-3 win yesterday over Missouri. Meanwhile, Arizona faces Alabama tomorrow in a must-win game. The Wildcats lost their opener last night 3-0 against Florida.
Arizona State faces Texas A&M in the team quarterfinals at the men's NCAA golf championship being played in Ohio. The Sun Devils wound up 13 strokes behind leader Oklahoma State yesterday. Eight schools qualify for the new match-play format which begins today. The team championship match is set for tomorrow morning.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UP DATE
John Rich turned himself in to the Metro Davidson County Criminal Justice Center in Nashville yesterday (Thursday, May 28th) to face misdemeanor assault and harassment charges brough against him by Jared Ashley, a 2006 finalist on Nashville Star. Rich says the charges are false, but Ashley claims the Big & Rich member hit him in the face while he was visiting Rich's private club in Nashville, called The Spot, with a mutual friend back in March.
Because Ashley discussed the incident during an interview with a Florida radio station, Rich slapped him with a countersuit for defamation.
Unable to reach a settlement with Ashley, Rich has decided to fight the charges leveled against him through the legal system.
Rich issued a statement through his attorney about the situation. It reads:
"This entire ridiculous situation is nothing more than an effort by singer, Jared Ashley, and music row attorney Chris Sevier, to try to obtain money from me. Mr. Sevier and Mr. Ashley have falsely accused me of misdemeanor crimes. I trust that the truth will come out through the process of our American justice system and that I will be completely exonerated at the end of the day.
It's unfortunately common in my line of work that there are a very small number of people who want to take advantage of another person's success and try to get something for nothing. I truly did make every effort to work this out in connection with the defamation lawsuit I filed against Mr. Ashley. Yesterday, I decided that a civil settlement would be impossible due to the fact that Mr. Ashley and his attorney demanded that I pay Jared Ashley 2.9 million dollars, even though he is the one who has defamed me. He has now chosen to bring these false charges against me.
Ultimately, and out of principle, I will not allow myself to be coerced into paying 2.9 million dollars to Mr. Ashley and his attorney Chris Sevier in exchange for dropping these frivolous misdemeanor charges. I intend to defend myself through the legal process to the fullest extent of the law."
- Ashley's claims of harassment include threatening voice mail messages from Rich and Gone Country winner Sebastian Bach, which he played on the air while visiting a station in Tampa.
- Rich also showed up at one of Ashley's Nashville shows, jumping on stage and threatening the singer. Watch a fan's cell phone video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEeAUadXYnw&NR=1 .
Dateline NBC recently hit the road with Taylor Swift on her first headlining sold out Fearless tour. They share their exclusive behind-the-scenes look at Swift's life on tour in their upcoming show, Dateline: On Tour With Taylor Swift, set to air on Sunday (May 31st) at 7 p.m. ET. The one-hour show was shot on three continents over a period of three months. Both concert and backstage footage was compiled from Swift's shows in the U.S., the UK and Australia.
- Swift tells Dateline how much the Fearless tour means to her: "This tour is my baby. I'm just so excited about every angle of this tour."
- At another point in the filming, Swift says she is very aware of how far she's come. "It's one of the craziest feelings -- to be onstage and know that you were sitting on your bedroom floor when that song came to be, and now there's an arena full of people singing it."
- She shares what it's like in the seconds before she takes the stage each night with Dateline: "In the 30 seconds before I go on stage when I hear that scream, when I hear that high-pitched sound of all those people screaming together, it's like I want to get on stage right now. Like, I want to be on the stage now. It's the most amazing feeling!"
- Other highlights of Dateline: On Tour With Taylor Swift include interviews with Swift and her band and crew, an exclusive look at Swift's tour bus, dressing room, crew meetings, dancer auditions, and concert performances, as well as video diaries shot by Swift herself.
- NBC News' Hoda Kotb also talks with Swift and her mom, Andrea Swift, about the road to fame and life in the spotlight.
The title track of Reba McEntire's upcoming album, "Keep On Loving You," came compliments of Ronnie Dunn. McEntire tells us she hit up her good friend for the song after the duo opted not to put it on their album. "They had recorded it, and they said they were really trying to put more up-tempo songs on the album, and I said, 'Man, you missed it. That is a killer song,' and he said, 'Well, I like it.' I said, 'Why don't you let me have it?' He said, 'What?' I said, 'Why don't you let me have it. I'll record it.' He said, 'Are you serious?' I said, 'Yeah.' He said, 'Alright, you can have it.' I said, 'Oh no, you sleep on it. You talk to me in the morning.' He said, 'No, you can have it.' And so I called him the next morning and he said, 'Still you can have it,' and so, boy, I went in there and recorded it quick (laughs), and that's the title of our album -- 'Keep On Loving You.'"
- Video excerpts from Dateline: On Tour with Taylor Swift are currently posted on www.dateline.msnbc.com.
- Swift will perform live on NBC's Today Summer Concert Series in Rockefeller Plaza this
The case against Gary Allan's alleged stalker will go before a grand jury in Sumner County, Tennessee on July 24th. Forty-seven-year-old Katherine Walker appeared in court on Wednesday (May 27th) to face charges of burglary, vandalism and stalking after throwing potted plants around the outside of Allan's home, breaking a kitchen window, tossing patio furniture into the singer's pool and throwing an outdoor heater from a second-story balcony. Her actions were captured by security cameras at Allan's Hendersonville, Tennessee home.
- Keep On Loving You will be released on August 18th.
- The debut single, "Strange," is a Top 15 hit on the Billboard country chart.
Allan was also in court on Wednesday. He claims the woman has been stalking him for four years, but Walker told the media that he has been stalking her for two years, saying "He's really, really hurt me and basically ruined my life."
Mindy McCready will star on the new season of VH-1's Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew. McCready's battles with drugs and alcohol have been well documented over the past few years, including her arrests in 2004 and 2005 for fraudulently obtaining prescription drugs and DUI, respectively. Just last year, McCready entered rehab twice, the second time after a suicide attempt.
- Walker's wrath was provoked when she spotted another woman's car at Allan's home on May 3rd, the same night she says Allan led her to believe via online messages that he would meet her at a local bar for drinks, according to The Tennessean.
- Allan told police that Walker had shown up at his residence several times, in addition to recently causing a scene at a Nashville club.
- Allan's attorney has also filed a civil lawsuit against Walker.
- In the meantime, Walker has been ordered to stay away from Allan and anyone associated with him.
Former NBA star Dennis Rodman, actress MacKenzie Phillips (One Day at a Time), former Hollywood Madame Heidi Fleiss, former America's Next Top Model contestant Lisa D'Amato, former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr, former Miss United States Teen Kari Ann Peniche and former Real World Hollywood star Joey Kovar will also be seeking help from Dr. Drew next season.
- The new season of Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew will premiere in early 2010.
Big & Rich's Big Kenny and Big Machine Records President and CEO Scott Borchetta will join Naomi Judd as judges on the second season of CMT's Can You Duet. The show will be hosted by CMT personality Lance Smith. This year's winning duo will win a recording contract with Big Machine, which is home to Taylor Swift, Trisha Yearwood and Jack Ingram. There is no word yet on when the new season starts.
- McCready's affair with baseball star Roger Clemens was big news last year. The singer admitted to the relationship with the married father, which lasted through 2006. The two met when was McCready was just 15 years old.
- Borchetta is also the show's executive producer.
- Last year's winners, Caitlin & Will, signed to Sony Music Nashville's Columbia Records.
- Finalists Joey + Rory signed to Vanguard/SugarHill and released their debut album, Life Of A Song, in October 2008. Since then, the married couple have become the national spokespeople for Overstock.com.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
A house in the college town of Manhattan, KS, is being given away free. There is a catch, though. The new owner has to pick up the 6-bedroom, two-story house and move it.
Mike Tyson's 4-year-old daughter, Exodus, has died after accidentally hanging herself on a piece of home exercise equipment.
Elizabeth Taylor is out of the hospital and back home again. I'm afraid I never knew she was in.
American Idol finalist Danny Gokey says he'd like to try "Dancing with the Stars." Sounds like a match.
Victoria's Secret supermodel Adriana Lima and her NBA star husband Marko Jaric are expecting their first child together.
Remember the house where Cameron lived in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"? The one where his dad's Ferrari went flying. The real Chicago home is up for sale, all yours, for just $2.3 million.
Add this to your knowledge base: the pharmacy people at Costo told me that, for whatever reason, the day after Memorial Day is their biggest day of the year.
ARE YOU OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE?
(Sun) Cleaning more often and enjoying it less? Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Modern day anxiety causes more of us to act out in a compulsive way, say experts. "Stress caused by money troubles, job loss or caring for a sick relative can intensify a person's obsessive tendencies," explains Houston psychologist Gregory Pearl. So do you have full blown obsessive-compulsive disorder or just an excessive amount of nervous energy? Find out by taking this quiz.
Once you shake hands with someone, you:
- Often worry you might have picked up germs.
- Make a quick trip to the restroom to wash your hands.
- Immediately spritz with a germ killing hand cleaner.
Thoughts of something bad happening to a loved one make you:
- Silently fuss at yourself for thinking such nonsense.
- Whisper a quick prayer of protection.
- Grab a cloth and begin dusting your work area.
When you leave the house, you:
- Allow extra time to double check locks and faucets.
- Sometimes worry you left an appliance running.
- Always make sure everything is turned off.
After chatting with a pal at a get together, you:
- Never worry that you said the wrong thing.
- Often agonize that you said something embarrassing.
- Call your friend the next day to make sure you were not misunderstood.
Mostly "a" - Don't lose any sleep over your minor quirks, you're definitely not an OCD candidate. It's human nature for most of us to say a prayer to ward off tragedy. And thoroughly check over the house before you leave is a smart habit that could prevent numerous problems later.
Mostly "b" - There's no doubt your behavior patterns include some compulsive actions you can't control. But being a bit fussy is no sure indication of obsessive compulsive disorder. The few rituals you do repeatedly practice aren't enough to disrupt your everyday life.
Mostly "c" - Face it, kiddo, you've definitely got some OCD tendencies. Luckily, you manage to keep a lid on most of your wackiest impulses. However, if you think it's appropriate, there's nothing wrong with a visit to a therapist so you can talk about your problems and find solutions.
BREAK THE ICE
(Woman's Day) Making new friends isn't always easy, especially if you get tongue tied. Debra Fine, author of The Fine Art of Small Talk, tells you how to get a conversation going and keep it flowing:
- Next time you're at a gathering, look for an approachable person. In a room of many, you're bound to see one person standing alone.
- Find common ground. Rather than asking if she's married, ask her about her family. Or ask how she knows the host.
- Stay on topic for a few minutes. If you're chatting with another mom, ask what keeps her busy outside of the kids. Use verbal cues, like "Really?" to encourage her to continue.
- Suggest lunch, but be sure to request her number or e-mail so you can set a date. "Let's do lunch sometime" gets you nowhere.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
If you're planning a party, don't worry about inviting blondes just make sure you put plenty of right handers on the list. And, while you're at it be sure and snub the lefties. An old Clairol hair dye commerical claims that blondes have more fun. But scientists report that right handers are more adventurous and more playful across the board and across species. In contrast, left handers are more timid and stodgy. This tendency comes from the quirky way mammals' brains are hardwired, say experts. The right side of the brain which handles fear controls the left side of body. The brain's right side also favors logic and calculation. The left side of the brain which stifles fear controls the right side of the body. The brain's left side prefers creativity and instinct. (National Examiner)
The best way to shake off stress is to read a good book. Novels take your mind off your worries as your brain turns the words into mental pictures, experts explain. "The words on the page stimulate your creativity and cause you to enter what is essentially an altered state of consciousness," says neuropsychologist Dr. David Lewis. Lewis and his team at the consulting firm Mindlabs International recently tested the soothing effects of several activities. And reading fiction came out number one, clamming people's stress levels by 68%. Second came listening to music, which slashed stress 61%, followed by a serving of either tea or coffee, which reduced tension 54%. Finally, going for walks cut stress 42%. (National Examiner)
The sickest state in the U.S. is Mississippi. Also on the sick list are Louisiana, New Mexico, Nevada and South Carolina. That's the word from the "2009 Heath Care State Rankings: Health Care Across America" compiled by CQ Press, which ranked all 50 states in order of best and worst health care. The top 15 sickest states in the U.S.:
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
The healthiest states? Minnesota, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Iowa and New Hampshire.
Bizarre new vehicles let riders get a leg up on pedestrians and drivers alike by being as fast as a car and as nimble as a person on foot. "The road of tomorrow is going to be the sidewalk," explains engineer Geoff Sophinae. "Cars will take a back seat to personal mobility." The Chariot, a hands free device created by Exmovere Holdings, balances itself and is steered by reading subtle body movements. Users control speed and direction without lifting a finger. Students at the University of Louisiana built an electric scooter that, like the Chariot, is controlled by the user's body movements but that moves on insect-like legs instead of wheels. It's not as fast as the competition, crawling at 3 miles per hour, but later models could be outfitted with larger legs capable of going much faster and climbing up stairs. (Sun)
The harder you think, the more you eat. Volunteers attended a lab three times: once to recline in a chair for 45 minutes, once to read and summarize documents, and once to complete a memory test. When offered an all you can eat buffet following each task, they ate an average of 860 calories, 1,063 calories, and 1,113 calories, respectively. Using your brain may cause fluctuations in key appetite hormones, says study author Jean-Philippe Chaput, Ph.D. After a stressful day, hit the gym exercise helps stabilize hunger regulating hormones. (Women's Health)
If you have a favorite movie, you probably have a favorite romantic movie couple.
According to Premiere magazine, these are the most romantic movie couples:
- Mickey Knox (Woody Harrelson) and Mallory Knox (Juliette Lewis) in "Natural Born Killers" WHAT?? You have got to be kidding me!!
- Harry Burns (Billy Crystal) and Sally Albright (Meg Ryan) in "When Harry Met Sally"
- Lucy Eleanor Moderatz (Sandra Bullock) and Jack Callaghan (Bill Pullman) in "While You Were Sleeping"
- Scott Wormer (Devon Sawa) and Roberta Martin (Christina Ricci) in "Now and Then"
- Doug Dorsey (D.B. Sweeney) and Kate Moseley (Moira Kelly) in "The Cutting Edge"
- Landon Carter (Shane West) and Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore) in "A Walk To Remember"
- Jonathan Trager (John Cusack) and Sara Thomas (Kate Beckinsale) in "Serendipity"
- Kat Ellis (Debra Messing) and Nick Mercer (Dermot Mulroney) in "The Wedding Date"
- Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) and Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman) in "Casablanca"
- Cliff Poncier (Matt Dillon) and Janet Livermore (Bridget Fonda) in "Singles"
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UP DATE
Montgomery Gentry will be the newest members of the Grand Ole Opry. The duo were surprised with an invitation to join during their performance at the Opry on Tuesday (May 26th). Charlie Daniels appeared in the audience and made his way on stage, saying, "I have been chosen to do something very special. I have known you guys for a long time, and I am very proud of all your accomplishments. If you agree to it, on June 23rd you're gonna be made members of the Grand Ole Opry!" Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry hugged each other and Daniels. Gentry replied, "I'm speechless," while a visibly emotional Montgomery borrowed a handkerchief from Daniels to wipe his eyes.
Kenny Chesney's new album, Greatest Hits II, debuts at Number One on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart this week. More than 89,000 copies of the compilation were sold its first week, landing the album at Number Three on the all-genre Billboard 200 chart.
- Gentry told us earlier this year that Opry membership was the duo's next big goal. "We've been on the Opry for many years -- well, ever since we've been in the business. We always try to make it our business to get in there and play the Opry, so that's probably the next biggest milestone Eddie and I would like to accomplish is to become members of the Grand Ole Opry, and I think it'd be a great honor cause it is kind of an elite club to be a member of and it'd be very flattering and honoring to be a part of that club."
- Montgomery Gentry made their Grand Ole Opry debut on March 3rd, 2000.
- The duo join Kenny Chesney at his Sun City Carnival tour stop on Saturday (May 30th) in their hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.
- Greatest Hits II includes five multiple-week and four single-week Number One hits.
- The album's only new single, "Out Last Night," is a current Top Five hit.
Miranda Lambert's new single, "Dead Flowers," was the very last song she wrote and recorded for her upcoming untitled album, due out in September. She quickly penned the song by herself and then immediately sought out her boyfriend, Blake Shelton, for his opinion, she tells us: "I wrote it by myself, and it was just a very kind of last-minute thought to add it to the record cause I wrote it -- it was the last song I wrote -- before I recorded, and Blake and I put it down. I wrote it in about 30 minutes and I took it over to his house and I was like, 'Do you think this song is good or what do you think about it?' and he was like, 'I love it!' So he played it for me on a guitar vocal on my little computer thing, and he actually invented the guitar riffs that are in the song."
Lambert says that Shelton added his touches here and there on the album, which she tells us is different from her previous two CDs. "It's definitely so diverse. It's very throwback. A lot of the songs on there, the style is, I think, kind of vintage feeling a little bit. Honestly, Blake and I, we collaborated on three songs on this record. We wrote three songs together, and I branched out a little bit when it came to songwriting. I wrote a lot by myself and I wrote a lot with him and with different writers."
What will likely be George Strait's 58th Number One hit is being released to radio today (Thursday, May 28th). The song is called "Living for the Night," and it's the first single from Strait's upcoming album, Twang, which is due in stores this fall.
- Lambert is currently on tour with Kenny Chesney. The Sun City Carnival tour plays another stadium show on Saturday (May 30th) in Louisville, Kentucky.
- Strait continues his tour tonight with a show at the P.N.C Bank Center in Holmdel, New Jersey. He plays the first show at the brand new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas on June 6th. That concert, which also features Reba McEntire, Julianne Hough and Blake Shelton, sold out in one hour.
- Strait was recently named the ACM Artist of the Decade for the 2000s, joining only four other artists who have received this distinction: Marty Robbins for the 1960s, Loretta Lynn for the 1970s, Alabama for the 1980s and Garth Brooks for the 1990s.
Martina McBride will perform at the 2009 Canadian Country Music Awards (CCMA)on September 13th in Vancouver. This is her first time to participate in the CCMA's. Other performers that night include Terri Clark and Johnny Reid. The 2009 CCMA nominees will be announced on July 29th in Toronto.
Members of the military stationed at Norfolk Naval Station and Fort Bragg will be the first to hear Tracy Lawrence's new inspirational album, The Rock. Lawrence will spend Sunday (May 31st) and Monday (June 1st) personally delivering the project. The Rock won't officially be released until June 9th, but it will be made available to military personnel on these bases 10 days prior to the retail sale date.
- Lawrence said, "I've been told by a number of listeners that The Rock has really touched them in some way. I cannot imagine the emotions and turmoil our service men and women endure on a daily basis and to bring an emotional or moving message 'home' to them is the least I can do as a memento of my heartfelt appreciation for taking care of me and my family and our entire country."
- As part of his visit to Fort Bragg, Lawrence will visit the Womack Hospital and the Wounded Soldier Support Center to meet injured soldiers.
- The Rock is Lawrence's third project to be released on his own independent label, Rocky Comfort Records.
- Lawrence co-produced the album.
Adrian Gonzalez hit his majors-leading 18th home run and drove in three runs, and the San Diego Padres defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks 8-5 last night. It was the 11th win in 12 games for the Padres. David Eckstein added three hits and an RBI as the Padres took two of three in a wild series between the NL West rivals.
Other National League scores...
St. Louis 3 Milwaukee 2
Chi Cubs 5 Pittsburgh 2
L.A. Dodgers 8 Colorado 6
Florida 6 Philadelphia 2
Cincinnati 6 Houston 1
N-Y Mets 7 Washington 4
San Francisco 6 Atlanta 3
In the American League...
Baltimore 12 Toronto 10, 11 Innings
Detroit 8 Kansas City 3
Seattle 6 Oakland 1
Cleveland 12 Tampa Bay 7
N-Y Yankees 9 Texas 2
Minnesota 4 Boston 2
L.A. Angels 3 Chi White Sox 1
The Los Angeles Lakers have taken a three-games-to-two lead in the NBA's Western Conference finals by dominating the fourth quarter of a 103-94 triumph over the Denver Nuggets. The game was tied until the Lakers opened the final period on an 11-0 run and held the Nuggets to 18 points. Kobe Bryant finished with 22 points and Lamar Odom added 19 and 14 rebounds for the winners.
In the NBA Eastern Conference Finals, Game 5 is tonight with Orlando at Cleveland. The Magic lead series 3-1
Darren Helm has put the Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup finals, scoring at 3:58 of overtime to end a 2-1 win over the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals. Dan Cleary also scored and Chris Osgood handled 30 shots as the Wings earned the right to take on the Pittsburgh Penguins in the finals for the second straight year. Detroit won last year's finals in six games for their fourth Stanley Cup since 1997.
WANT TO KNOW YOUR CHOLESTEROL?
FIND OUT THE NEXT TIME YOU GIVE BLOOD
Having your cholesterol checked is a good idea for everyone. Did you know that you can find out your number and do a good deed at the same time? United Blood Services began providing free cholesterol testing for blood donors last year and it’s been a hit.
Cholesterol is a waxy, fat-like substance that occurs naturally in all parts of the body. Your body needs some cholesterol to work properly. But if you have too much in your blood, it can stick to the walls of your arteries. This is called plaque. Plaque can narrow your arteries or even block them. If you have high levels of cholesterol in your blood, it can increase your risk of heart disease. Your cholesterol levels tend to rise as you get older. There are usually no signs or symptoms that you have high blood cholesterol, but it can be detected with a blood test. United Blood Services does a “total cholesterol” test that allows donors to eat before the test—no fasting required.
“We use the ‘total cholesterol’ test because it’s important for donors to have a healthy meal before they donate,” said Ann Trilby of United Blood Services. It is recommended that adults have a different cholesterol test, called a lipoprotein profile, every 5 years. A lipoprotein profile requires a 12-hour fast and is done at a physician’s office or lab.
Donors can check their confidential results at www.bloodsystems.org the week after their donation.
Donors are encouraged to eat a meal that is high in iron the night before they donate and drink at least six bottles of water to keep them hydrated.
Blood donors must be 17 years or older and in good health. People who have given blood at least three times—with one of those donations in the past six months—are eligible for a streamlined health interview with fewer questions before their donation. Donors are asked to bring a photo ID and Donor Card every time they donate. First-time donors receive a Donor Card with their blood type in the mail shortly after their first donation.
United Blood Services has been this area’s non-profit community blood provider since 2002 and serves patients in all hospitals in the Tri-State area The United Blood Services network is one of the nation’s oldest and largest non-profit blood service organizations, and is a founding member of America’s Blood Centers and the AABB.
Make an appointment to get your cholesterol checked and save a life at any of the following blood drives in June:
12:00 to 5:00PM
Bullhead Health Club
Hancock and Lakeside
For appointment, visit www.bloodhero,com Sponsor Code: BHChealth
Or call (702) 562-2166
1:00pm to 6:00pm
Bullhead City Community Police Training Room
City Complex on Marina
For appointment, go to www.bloodhero.com Sponsor Code L1017 or call 702-562-2166
8:00am to 1:00pm
Bullhead City Community Police Training Room
City Complex on Marina
For appointment, go to www.bloodhero.com Sponsor Code: L1017 or call 702-562-2166
1:00pm to 7:00pm
Riverside Resort and Casino
Harbor Ports conference rooms
Call Lisa at (702) 298-2535 ext 5792 or visit
Website www.bloodhero.com Sponsor code: Riverside
8:00am to 2:00om
Riverside Resort and Casino
Harbor Ports conference rooms
Call Lisa at (702) 298-2535 ext 5792 or visit
Website www.bloodhero.com Sponsor code: Riverside
CONSUMER CONFIDENCE AT EIGHT-MONTH HIGH:
U.S. consumer confidence soared in May to its highest level in eight months, the Conference Board reported Tuesday (May 26th), saying it had jumped to 54.9 from 40.8 in April, well above forecasts of around 42, and up from a record low in February. The increase was the biggest one-month jump since April 2003, when many Americans believed the Iraq war was drawing to a quick end. The Dow Jones industrial average finished up 196.17 -- or 2.4 percent -- on the news to close at 8,473.49
MEXICAN FOOD REVEALS PERSONALITY
(Women's Health) Ole Your go to Mexican entree actually says a lot about you, reports a survey for Qdoba Mexican Grill. No lie: Taste and personality reside in the same part of the brain, says study author Alan Hirsh, M.D.:
- Tacos lovers are conscientious and perfectionist. They're most romantically compatible with quesadillas lovers.
- Quesadillas lovers are dependable, true friends, and a follower, not a leader. They're most romantically compatible with taco lovers.
- Salsa and chip lovers are competitive, ambitious, and natural leaders. They're most romantically compatible with other salsa and chip lovers.
- Burrito lovers are dramatic, flirtatious, gregarious, and witty. They're most romantically compatible with pretty much everyone.
DID YOU KNOW?
BOSSES LOOK DOWN ON CHILDLESS WOMEN? TresSugar.com reports that research conducted over six years shows that far from bosses and colleagues always being suspicious of a working mother, the opposite is becoming true: it is the childless woman who is regarded as cold and odd. An outspoken mother and former boss is quoted in the Daily Mail as saying that she simply cannot understand why a healthy woman would choose not to have kids. She says that women who chose to focus on their careers, instead of starting a family, make employers question their "essential humanity."
FATHERS WITH DAUGHTERS MORE LIKELY TO TURN LIBERAL: Economists claim to have found a correlation between the number of daughters and sons in a household and their father's political views. Professor Andrew Oswald, from Warwick University, and Dr. Nattavudh Powdthavee, of York University, wrote in an unpublished article that has been submitted to an economics journal: "This paper provides evidence that daughters make people more Left-wing, while having sons, by contrast, makes them more Right-wing." Professor Oswald said that having daughters made men "gradually shift their political stance and become more sympathetic to the 'female' desire for a . . . larger amount for the public good. They become more Left-wing. Similarly, a mother with sons becomes sympathetic to the 'male' case for lower taxes and a smaller supply of public goods."
ANTI-SNORE PRODUCTS REPORTEDLY DON'T WORK: Expensive treatments for snoring are more likely to keep you awake rather than providing a peaceful night's sleep, a consumer watchdog has warned. The study by Which? concluded that more than 70 percent of people who have tried the over-the-counter remedies found they do not work. Supposed snoring cures included wire up the nostrils, nasal strips and even a three month singing course on a CD.
OPPOSITES DO ATTRACT: When it comes to choosing a mate, opposites really do attract, according to a Brazilian study that found people are subconsciously more likely to choose a partner whose genetic make-up is different to their own. They found evidence that married couples are more likely to have genetic differences in a DNA region governing the immune system than were randomly matched pairs. "Although it may be tempting to think that humans choose their partners because of their similarities, our research has shown clearly that it is differences that make for successful reproduction, and that the subconscious drive to have healthy children is important when choosing a mate," Maria da Graca Bicalho of the University of Parana said in a statement.
MEN UPSET WITH BIOLOGICAL CLOCK REPORTS: Salon.com reported on a recent study that suggests men have their own biological clock. Researchers found children born to 50-year-old fathers scored slightly lower on intelligence tests than children of a 20-year-old father, regardless of the mother's age. The researchers analyzed data from more than 33 thousand American children. The study's outcome is a hot topic in the blogosphere. Lisa Belkin of the New York Times said, "The men are getting really angry and the women are a little too gleeful ..." Salon added that now "there is a new sense of urgency with some men."
The Pittsburgh Penguins are heading back to the Stanley Cup finals. Max Talbot had a goal and an assist to help the Penguins beat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-1 and finish off a sweep in the Eastern Conference finals and Pittsburgh now awaits the winner of the Detroit-Chicago series.
The defending Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings take a 3-1 series lead into tonight's home game against the Chicago Blackhawks. If the Red Wings beat Chicago in the West finals, it will set up the first finals rematch since the Edmonton Oilers and the New York Islanders met in 1983 and 1984.
The Orlando Magic are heading to Cleveland with a 3-1 series lead in the NBA Eastern Conference finals following their 116-114 overtime win last night. The Magic offset a 44-point performance by LeBron James with 27 points and 14 rebounds from Dwight Howard and a career playoff-best 26 points from point guard Rafer Alston.
L.A. Lakers coach Phil Jackson is $25,000 lighter in the wallet after being fined that amount by the NBA for criticizing the officiating in his team's 120-101loss to Denver in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals. That series shifts to L.A. for tonight's Game 5 with the winner taking a 3-2 series advantage.
The San Diego Padres' 10-game winning streak is over. Arizona held off the Padres 6-5 last night as winning pitcher Max Scherzer struck out 10 and drove in two runs.
Other Scores from the National League....
Philadelphia 5 Florida 3
Cincinnati 6 Houston 4
N-Y Mets 6 Washington 1
Chi Cubs 6 Pittsburgh 1, 5 Innings
St. Louis 8 Milwaukee 1
L.A. Dodgers 7 Colorado 1
San Francisco 4 Atlanta 0
And in the American League....
Cleveland 5 Tampa Bay 1
Baltimore 7 Toronto 2
Texas 7 N-Y Yankees 3
Minnesota 5 Boston 2
Kansas City 6 Detroit 1
Chi White Sox 4 L.A. Angels 2
Oakland 4 Seattle 3
THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT FAT (Discover magazine)
They're doing something right out West. Sixty-six percent of Americans are overweight or obese, and the national obesity rate doubled between 1976 and 1999. But as of 2007, California was the only state not getting any fatter.
- The root of the problem? Depending on gender and how active they are, adults should eat 2,000 to 3,000 calories per day. U.S. agriculture now produces 3,900 calories of food per inhabitant per day.
- People who regularly eat dinner or breakfast in restaurants double their risk of becoming obese.
- The National Institutes of Health believes obesity is one of the reasons why the fastest-growing group experiencing infertility is that of women under 25.
- Each year nearly $50 billion is spent on diet programs.
- People who lose just 10 percent of their weight report significant improvement in their sex lives.
- Over the course of a year, about 10 percent of an adult's fat cells die. Alas, the body promptly replaces them.
- The total number of fat cells in your body remains constant once you reach adulthood.
- Even after radical weight-loss procedures such as stomach stapling, fat cells return to their pre-surgery numbers within two years.
- Liposuction is the only way to actually reduce the number of fat cells in your spare tire. Diet and exercise just shrink them.
- New Zealander Pete Bethune gave a whole new meaning to biofuel when he used his own fat, removed via liposuction, to power the world's fastest eco-boat. A way to solve the obesity epidemic and the fuel crisis?
- It may make you prettier, but not healthier. Liposuction doesn't remove fat from around the internal organs, so your fat-related health risks are unchanged.
- Obesity is more heritable than schizophrenia, high blood pressure and alcoholism.
- The brain is about 70 percent fat.
TOP LIES WOMEN TELL
Fibs about shopping top the list of tall tales women spin to get what they want in the world, says the author of a new book that rips the lid off the secret lives of gals. "Women lie more cleverly and successfully than men," says Susan Shapiro Barash, the author of "Little White Lies, Deep Dark Secrets: The Truth About Why Women Lie." "They lie as a survival technique but also to get what they want." After interviewing 500 women across the country. Barash discovered:
- About 75% of women hide how much money they spend. These women confessed to stunts like sneaking purchases home and hiding price tags.
- The second most common reason for women to lie is cheating. About 60% of the gals confessed to having had an affair.
- Motherhood comes in at number three on the hit parade of female falsehoods, with about 50% of moms having mixed feeling about rearing their kids.
- Women often lie to get what they want from people, including lovers, co-workers and bosses.
- They also tell lies either to keep up appearances or one up others, including untruths about plastic surgery, children's accomplishments or husbands' success.
WORST THINGS YOU COULD EVER SAY ON YOUR RESUME
When you're looking for a job, you obviously want your resume to work for you, not against you. One of the ways you can turn all your hard work into a fiasco is to give your prospective employer too much personal information. A recent survey conducted by Harris Interactive for CareerBuilder.com asked hiring managers to share the most unusual resumes they've seen.
- Candidate mentioned in his resume that he spent summers on his family's yacht in Grand Cayman.
- Candidate attached a letter from his mother.
- Candidate used pale blue paper with teddy bears around the border.
- Candidate explained a gap in employment by saying he was getting over the death of his cat for three months.
- Candidate specified that his availability was limited because Friday, Saturday and Sunday were "drinking time."
- Candidate included a picture of herself in a cheerleading uniform.
- Candidate drew a picture of a car on the outside of the envelope and said it was the hiring manager's gift.
- Candidate included the fact that her sister once won a strawberry-eating contest.
- Candidate explained that they worked well in the nude.
- Candidate explained an arrest by stating, "We stole a pig, but it was a really small pig."
- Candidate included a family medical history.