KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
Keith Urban lost most of his equipment and musical instruments in the Nashville flood in May, but that hasn't slowed the singer down. Initially, he had to borrow a guitar just to perform on the subsequent telethon fundraisers, but Keith tells us he's gathering a new collection and making lemonade out of lemons. "Slowly but surely I've just acquired a few new pieces and taken it as just more of a new beginning than an ending, and just sort of, 'What should we do with this to make it positive?' And for me it's like, 'Okay, well, then let's get new pieces, new instruments that have new songs in them, and it'll be a whole new beginning.'"
One thing Keith is not getting rid of is his most prized guitar, which was also damaged in the flood water."This guitar I've had for a long time is something that is probably one of the things that's priceless to me cause I bought it in 1989. It was my first trip to America, and I bought it at Manny's in New York, and I managed to salvage it out of the water and I'm havin' it rebuilt. I don't know if it's gonna sound very good, but it's one of those things (that) to me, even if it had to go up on the wall, I would never part with this guitar."
- Keith will fill in for Brooks & Dunn at Countryfest, the Canadian country music festival, in Dauphin, Manitoba, on Friday (July 2nd). Brooks & Dunn were forced to cancel their appearance because ofRonnie Dunn's prescribed vocal rest.
- In other Keith news, the singer and his wife, Nicole Kidman, celebrated their fourth wedding anniversary last week with a romantic dinner at Nashville restaurant Flyte (FLIGHT). A source told people.com, "They were smiling and holding hands across the table. You could tell they were so in love."
- Keith and Nicole's daughter, Sunday Rose, will celebrate her second birthday on July 7th.
- Keith is nearing the top of the charts with his latest single, "I'm In."
- The song was written and originally recorded by Radney Foster.
When songwriter Kyle Jacobs popped the question to Kellie Pickler recently, the singer says she was taken so off guard that she almost lost the engagement ring in the sand on that Florida beach. She told People.com, "We weren't paying attention to the ring at all. After I got myself together, Kyle was looking around for the ring and thought I lost it. It was in my lap but he said, 'I thought we lost it in the sand.' But then he picked it up and put it on my finger and we cried again and laughed again. It was the most spiritual, incredible, amazing day."
Kellie is thrilled with the sparkler Kyle put on her finger, but she says the ring is not what's important. She told a Raleigh, North Carolina radio station, "I could care less if it was a Cracker Jack ring. As long as I get to spend the rest of my life with (Kyle) and wake up every morning and see him, I don't care."
- Kellie and Kyle have yet to announce a wedding date.
- In the meantime, Kellie is on the road with Rascal Flatts. Her next show with the trio is on July 16th in Stateline, Nevada.
- Her latest single, "Making Me Fall In Love Again," is climbing the charts.
CHECK IT OUTJustin Moore gets another crack at pranking tour headliner Brad Paisley as he continues on the singer's current H2O trek. He was at the receiving end of one of Brad's pranks during the American Saturday Nighttour earlier this year, and Justin's attempt to get even backfired, through no fault of his own. He tried to prank Brad during the last night of the American Saturday Night tour back in March, but it was during that show that Brad fell on stage, injuring himself and winding up in a Charleston, South Carolina hospital.
Justin tells us that his prank didn't have the impact he'd hoped it would. "What's unfortunate is the fact that I pranked him that night. I sent all my band and crew out onstage during 'Water' in Speedos, but it got overshadowed by him fallin' and prankin' himself, so on one hand I'm disappointed about that. On the other hand I'm thinkin' maybe he forgot that we did that and won't feel the need to retaliate quite as harshly."
Loretta Lynn will be honored at the Recording Academy's Grammy's Salute to Country Music on October 12th at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium. There, the "Coal Miner's Daughter" will be presented with the Recording Academy President's Merit Awards, in addition to being paid a musical tribute by a star-studded line up of artists.
- The H2O tour takes a break over the July 4th holiday, but resumes on July 16th in Tinley Park, Illinois.
- Justin's new single, "How I Got To Be This Way," is climbing the country charts.
- Loretta has been awarded three Grammys throughout her career, including two for Van Lear Rose, her 2004 album with White Stripes member Jack White. Earlier this year, the legendary singer received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement award.
- Neil Portnow, President and CEO of the Recording Academy said, "It is only fitting that we celebrate Loretta at our Salute to Country Music event, as she has worked diligently to ensure that country music remains a vital part of our culture, and has paved the way for many of today's talented artists and likely for generations to come."
- There is no information yet on the entertainers who will be paying homage to Loretta.
- This is only the second Salute to Country Music celebration. The first, which was held last year, honored Vince Gill.
- Loretta continues touring, with her next scheduled concert at the Hodag Country Festival in Rhinelander, Wisconsin on July 8th.
Tropical storm Alex has forced Jimmy Buffett to postpone his free Gulf Shores, Alabama concert, which was originally scheduled to take place tomorrow (Thursday, July 1st). The beach-side show will now take place on Sunday, July 11th. The 35,000 tickets that were given away for the event will be honored on the new date.
- In 1972, Loretta was the first woman to receive the CMA Award for Entertainer of the Year.
- She was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1988.
- Kenny Chesney and Zac Brown Band were among the special guests scheduled to join Jimmy, but there is no word yet if their schedules will allow them to be part of the rescheduled show.
- Jimmy Buffett and Friends Live from the Gulf Coast was set to air live on CMT, but the change in plans has the network scrambling to try to air at least a portion of the concert on the 11th.
- The free show was arranged in the wake of the BP oil spill that is affecting the coastline.
Lee Brice and Jerrod Niemann will be among the acts joining Brad Paisley at the Aquapalooza concert on July 10th. The event will take place at The Reserve at Lake Travis near Austin, Texas. The free concert is only accessible by boat or other floatation device. To register to see the show, log onto aquapalooza.com.
- The U.S. Coast Guard said tropical storm Alex has forced a temporarily suspension of oil spill cleanup efforts.
- So far, 27 million gallons of oil have been collected in the clean up effort.
Q. Who did Keith Urban originally pair with for his first CMT Crossroads episode?
A. John Fogerty
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!!
LIVE WITH REGIS & KELLY/SYN (check local listings)
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 11:00AM (ET)
GAC NIGHTS/GAC 12:00PM (ET)
Lady Antebellum, Josh Turner
BROKEN BRIDGES/CMT 2:00PM, 10:00PM (ET)
GAC NIGHTS/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
JOHNNY CASH IN SAN QUENTIN/CMT 9:00PM (ET)
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 10:00PM (ET)
Lee Ann Womack, Billy Currington
CELEBRATING BIRTHDAYS TODAY!
Vincent D'Onofrio (actor, Ed Wood, Men In Black) (51)
- David Alan Grier (actor and comedian, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka) (55)
- Mike Tyson (ear-biting former heavyweight boxing champ and ex-con) (44)
- Stanley Clarke (jazz fusion bass pioneer) (59)
- Fantasia Barrino (American Idol winner) (26)
- Matisyahu (Hasidic Jewish reggae rapper) (31)
- Monica Potter (actress, The Last House on the Left, Con Air, Patch Adams, Head Over Heels, Along Came A Spider, Saw) (39)
- Michael Phelps (swimmer, has won 14 gold Olympic medals, the most by any Olympian) (25)
- Hal Lindes (guitarist, Dire Straits) (57)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Brad Paisley's album, American Saturday Night, was released in 2009.
- Rascal Flatts guitarist Joe Don Rooney got engaged to Tiffany Fallon while aboard a cruise ship in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in 2005.
- Brad Paisley's "Ticks" topped the Billboard country chart in 2007.
- Chet Atkins died of cancer in Nashville in 2001 at the age of 77.
- Garth Brooks received a star in front of Capitol Records on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1995.
- Kenny Chesney signed his first recording contract with Capricorn Records in 1993.
- Ronnie Milsap debuted on the charts with "I Hate You" in 1973.
'ECLIPSE' PRODUCER HINTS ROB AND KRISTEN ARE TOGETHER: Eclipse producer Wyck Godfrey insinuated that stars Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson are dating in real life, telling Timemagazine, "The thing I do think about is, Oh my God, I hope they stay together. Because it could be awkward on set in the next movie if they have a huge falling out. It's like, Wow, they have to portray this love story through two more movies. God, I hope they stay together; please stay together. That's what affects my day-to-day." He added, "If you look at people who have a stable personal life, the rags get tired of them. I think we're heading to that place where they are together and that's their life and we better find someone new to create drama out of."
LIEV SCHRIBER NEEDS TIME AWAY FROM NAOMI WATTS? There's reportedly trouble in paradise for Liev Schreiber and Naomi Watts. The New York Daily News claims that Schreiber recently flew to Tahiti where he plans to spend a week contemplating the state of his relationship with Watts. Although he was supposed to be accompanying his longtime partner to her Salt press junket next month, insiders say Liev bailed because he needs free time away from work and family, to "sort things out mentally." His rep called the story "ridiculous," insisting, "Liev went on a diving trip with a group of friends, and his boys are too young to go."
'JERSEY SHORE' CAST CONTINUES POSING: The Jersey Shore cast members are practically professional models. PerezHilton.com reports that the camera-happy cast was recently photographed on a New Jersey beach for the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine. It's unclear when the issue will come out.
CARRIE PREJEAN GETTING MARRIED THIS WEEKEND? Controversial former Miss CaliforniaCarrie Prejean will reportedly marry NFL quarterback Kyle Boller this Friday in San Diego. TMZ.comreports that the couple will tie the knot at Grand Del Mar hotel. The couple became engaged in February and have been dating since last year.
'KARATE KID' SPARKS OUTRAGE: The Karate Kid has sparked outrage in Australia, with protesters condemning the movie for showing "brutal" violence inappropriate for children. The film, which was originally rated M (for mature audiences) was downgraded to PG after an appeal from distribution chiefs at Sony Pictures. Elizabeth Handsley, vice-president of the Australian Council on Children and the Media responded to the change, saying, "The movie presents violence as a solution to bullying, which is absolutely wrong. Strong violence by a sympathetic character with little or no consequences is shown. Just because your 12 year old can watch the movie, doesn't quite mean that your eight year old can too. It might be very inappropriate."
NO MORE 'SEX AND THE CITY'? Is the Sex and the City franchise over? The British magazine Grazia is reporting that all plans for a third Sex and the City movie have been shelved. The report, which is unconfirmed, blames the cancelation on scathing reviews and disappointing box office results for the second film.
JAMES EARL JONES AND VANESSA REDGRAVE TO STAR IN BROADWAY'S ''DRIVING MISS DAISY': James Earl Jones and Vanessa Redgrave will star in a Broadway production of Driving Miss Daisy beginning in the fall. Variety noted that the show will be a limited engagement, which will only run though the end of January.
JANEANE GAROFALO JOINING 'CRIMINAL MINDS' SPIN-OFF? Janeane Garofalo is reportedly in talks to join the cast of CBS's upcoming Criminal Minds spin-off. EW.com reports that Garofalo would play an "elite agent" within the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit who works for show star Forest Whitaker. Garofalo became available after her fall pilot, an untitled medical drama, failed to make it on the network's fall lineup.
'TOP GUN' SEQUEL IN THE WORKS? The sequel machine continues. Supposedly movie bosses are talking to Tom Cruise about making a follow-up to his 1986 hit, Top Gun. The original film's producer,Jerry Bruckheimer, told MTV.com, "We were recently approached again to start talking about it but, you know, nothing yet. We kicked around some ideas because the aviation community has completely changed since we made the movie a long time ago. So we have to find a way in and how to incorporate the Maverick character into it."
SOURCE: REPORTED NUDE PHOTOS OF ALI FEDOTOWSKY AREN'T HER
ABC sources are denying that Bachelorette Ali Fedotowsky is featured in nude photos leaked onto the web. Zack Taylor of ZackTaylor.ca posted pictures of a blonde woman stripping in front of a webcam, claiming that Fedotowsky "is the latest celebrity to be allegedly caught in a nude photo scandal!!"
Taylor said that a "source" told him that Ali stripped a few years ago for an "unknown guy" who now is looking to sell the shots to a tabloid. He noted, "We cannot confirm or deny that the photo in the middle is of Ali, but I can't wait to see more if they're real!!"
- Although Taylor said that there's been no comment from ABC, a source at the network toldGossipCop.com that the shots of the woman with her back to the camera are not of Fedotowsky.
CHECK IT OUT: Look at Taylor's posting: http://tinyurl.com/37yk5og
OPRAH DETHRONES ANGELINA JOLIE ON FORBES' CELEBRITY 100 LIST
Oprah has regained the top spot on Forbes' annual list of The World's Most Powerful Celebrities. Angelina Jolie, who dethroned Oprah in 2009, dropped to number 18 this year. The top ten was still a great place for women, with six girls scoring places in the top tier.
The list -- determined by a celebrity's earnings and fame -- placed Beyonce (who made $87 million) second and Avatar mastermind James Cameron third after he banked $210 million. Lady Gagaand Tiger Woods rounded out the top five.
- Twilight was a dominant force on the list as Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart placed at 50 and 66 respectively. Author Stephenie Meyer even beat out Kristen, coming in at number 59.
- Arguably the year's most lovable lady, Sandra Bullock, placed at number eight.
CHECK IT OUT: See the complete list: http://tinyurl.com/2aun83w
IS 'GLEE' REALITY SHOW BACK ON?
Plans for a Glee reality show are back on! Although just last week sources claimed that such a program was a no-go, EW.com reports that Oxygen is developing a reality companion series for when it begins airing the Fox hit in syndication.
The website noted that details of the reality show -- such as how involved co-creator Ryan Murphy and the cast will be -- are unclear, but the program will likely air sometime in 2011.
- Oxygen nabbed the syndication rights to Glee, with reruns set to premiere in 2013.
NAOMI CAMPBELL'S BALD PATCH EXPOSED
Supermodel Naomi Campbell was spotted at a fashion shoot in NYC on Monday (June 28th) -- with a huge bald patch underneath her wig. RadarOnline.com reported that onlookers were stunned after seeing the supermodel's vanishing hairline.
- The site reported that Naomi could be suffering from a condition called "traction alopecia" which is associated with braiding, weaving and extensions.
- The tight traction can cause hair breakage and permanent hair loss. It is reversible if caught early enough and treated by hair specialists.
CONAN O'BRIEN'S 'TONIGHT SHOW' RATINGS BETTER THAN LENO'S
Was the NBC late night debacle more of a disaster than we originally thought? TVByTheNumbers.com reports that in the weeks that Jay Leno on The Tonight Show in 2010 has overlapped with Conan O'Brien's hosting back in 2009, Jay hasn't been able to beat Conan's ratings.
The website noted that if Jay continues pulling in the .9 rating he scored last week, he'll finish below Conan's ratings for the entire summer.
- Even though Leno beat David Letterman, NBC's numbers alone determine their advertising potential. Therefore, the site points out that NBC cares about the Tonight Show's current ratings and their trend -- which is down versus last year.
STRIPPER CLAIMS SHE WAS AT MICHAEL JACKSON'S HOUSE WITH DR. CONRAD MURRAY
Joe Jackson's lawyer will reportedly interview a stripper who claims that Dr. Conrad Murray was at a strip club hours before Michael Jackson died -- and that she had been to MJ's house. According toTmz.com, the stripper -- who says she was working at Sam's Hof Brau on June 24th 2009 -- claims that Dr. Murray was at the club drinking just before midnight.
Joe's lawyer, Brian Oxman -- who is representing him in his wrongful death suit, will also discuss the stripper's claims of being at Michael's home weeks before he died. She claims she went there late one night after the club closed and MJ was there -- in a deep sleep.
- In Oxman's letter of intent to sue Dr. Murray, he accused the doctor of drinking at Sam's Hof Brau before treating MJ.
- Dr. Murray's reps have strongly denied he was at the club on June 24. And, they say, Murray doesn't drink.
MOVIE OPENING: 'TWILIGHT: ECLIPSE'
Opening today (Wednesday July 1st) is the third installment of the Twilight Saga, Eclipse, starring Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner, Ashley Greene and Billy Burke. In the next chapter of the vampire films, Bella finds herself in danger once again when Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings. Bella is forced to choose between her friendship with Jacob and her love for Edward as her graduation approahes and a malicious vampire hunts her.
- Eclipse is rated PG-13 and has a running time of 2 hours and 5 minutes.
- Eclipse was directed by David Slade.
KAGAN ANSWERS QUESTIONS ON SECOND DAY OF HEARINGS: Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan answered questions from senators Tuesday (June 29th) on the second day of her confirmation hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Kagan, who showed flashes of humor during the day, told Republican senators that her work for two Democratic administrations won't cloud her judicial decisions, saying, "It's all about law when you put on a judge's robes." The most heated exchange came with Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, the ranking Republican on the panel, who accused Kagan of violating federal law by barring military recruiters from Harvard Law School's career services office when she was dean because of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Kagan said she was trying to balance Harvard's nondiscrimination policy, with a federal law that required schools to give military recruiters equal access as a condition of eligibility for federal funds. On other issues, Kagan said recent Supreme Court rulings upholding gun rights are, quote, "binding precedent," and said the Citizens United decision this year that corporations and unions were free to spend their own money on political activity was, quote, "settled law."
OIL CLEANUP SLOWED BY HURRICANE ALEX: Hurricane Alex, swirling the western Gulf of Mexico, slowed the oil spill cleanup efforts yesterday (June 29th) because of high waves and winds. The storm is expected to stay away from the oil spill site and make landfall near the Mexico-Texas border, but its effects led skimming efforts off the coasts of Louisiana, Florida, Alabama and Mississippi to be mostly stopped. Additionally, officials were scrambling to reposition boom, and had to remove barges that had been blocking oil from reaching wetlands. However, the storm hasn't affected the vessels capturing oil from the gushing well or the relief wells that are being drilled.
- In related news yesterday, the U.S. accepted offers of help from 12 countries and international organizations, such as skimmers and more boom.
LARRY KING ANNOUNCES HE'S ENDING HIS CNN SHOW: Larry King announced last night (June 29th) that he's ending his prime-time CNN show after 25 years, saying he will step down this fall. In making the announcement at the start of Tuesday's broadcast, King said he will do occasional specials for CNN after his show ends, but, quote, "it's time to hang up the nightly suspenders." Although King's show had been fading in the ratings lately, he said in an interview yesterday that he'd felt no pressure from CNN to leave. He said instead that he began thinking about stepping down as his 25th anniversary week ended earlier this month, explaining, "I'm tired of the nightly grind." King's 53 years in broadcasting include a longtime career as a radio host, as well as being a pioneer in cable TV. CNN is in the middle of remaking its prime-time lineup, and that will now include looking for a King successor. King said that if it were up to him, he'd choose Ryan Seacrest as the best person to fill his shoes.
- Look in "Last Night's TV Audio" for the soundbite of King announcing the end of his show."
BYRD'S BODY TO LIE IN REPOSE IN THE SENATE: The body of the late Democratic Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia will lie in repose Thursday (July 1st) in his beloved Senate, where he served for a record-setting 51 years. The last time a senator lay in repose in the Senate was in 1959, the year Byrd joined the chamber. Byrd's casket will then be flown to West Virginia, where he will lie in repose in the state capitol's Rotunda from Thursday evening to Friday morning. That will be followed by a memorial service, which both President Obama and Vice President Biden will attend. Byrd died early Monday at age 92.
OBESITY INCREASES IN 28 STATES: A new report out Tuesday (June 29th) found that the obesity rate increased in 28 states over the past year, with the adult obesity rate now over 25 percent in more than two-thirds of the states. Jeff Levi, executive director of the Trust for America's Health -- which co-authored the report with the Robert Wood Johnston Foundation -- said yesterday that not one state had an obesity rate over 20 percent less than two decades ago, in 1991. Mississippi was the fattest state for the sixth year in a row, with 33.8 percent of its adults obese, and all of the top 11 most obese states were in the South except for Michigan, which was tied for 10th place. Colorado was the least fat state, with 19.1 percent of adults obese. The report showed that income is tied to obesity, with more than 35 percent of adults who make less than $15,000 a year obese, compared to only 24.5 percent of those who make over $50,000 annually. Blacks and Latinos were also more likely to be obese than whites, likely tied to income disparities.
VERIZON WIRELESS TO START SELLING iPHONE NEXT YEAR: Bloomberg News reported Tuesday (June 29th) that Verizon Wireless will start selling the iPhone next year, ending AT&T's exclusive on the phone in the U.S. Citing two people described as being familiar with the plans, Bloomberg said the iPhone will be available via Verizon Wireless to customers in January. Apple has sold more than 50 million iPhones since they were introduced in 2007. The latest version, iPhone 4, debuted on June 24th and sold more than 1.7 million units in the first three days.
SEATTLE AUTHOR WINS ANNUAL BAD WRITING CONTEST: Author Molly Ringle of Seattle is this year's winner of the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest for bad writing, which San Jose State University has sponsored annually since 1982. Entrants are asked to submit bad opening sentences to imaginary novels, and Ringle won the grand prize for her entry: "For the first month of Ricardo and Felicity's affair, they greeted one another at every stolen rendezvous with a kiss -- a lengthy, ravenous kiss, Ricardo lapping and sucking at Felicity's mouth as if she were a giant cage-mounted water bottle and he were the world's thirstiest gerbil." The competition honors the memory of 19th-century English writer Edward George Earl Bulwer-Lytton, who famously opened his novel Paul Clifford with the sentence, "It was a dark and stormy night."
VENUS WILLIAMS OUT AT WIMBLEDON AFTER UPSET: Venus Williams was eliminated at Wimbledon yesterday (June 29th) in a stunning upset by 82nd-ranked Tsvetana Pironkova of Bulgaria 6-2, 6-3 in the quarterfinals. Second-seeded Williams, a five-time Wimbledon champion, double-faulted five times in the match and made 29 unforced errors. Meanwhile, sister Serena Williams advanced after beating ninth-ranked Li Na of China 7-5, 6-3 in their quarterfinal match.
SPAIN, PARAGUAY ADVANCE TO WORLD CUP QUARTERFINALS: Spain and Paraguay will advance to the World Cup quarterfinals after winning their Round of 16 games Tuesday (June 29th). Spain beat neighboring Portugal 1-0 on a goal by David Villa, while Paraguay needed a penalty shootout to beat Japan 5-3. Spain will face Paraguay in their quarterfinal match on Saturday (July 3rd).
SOUTH CAROLINA WINS FIRST-EVER COLLEGE WORLD SERIES: South Carolina won its first-even College World Series last night (June 29th) with a 2-1 victory over UCLA on a RBI single in the bottom of the 11th. Whit Merrifield got the winning hit for South Carolina, which won six straight games after losing their College World Series opener to Oklahoma. The championship was the first decided in an extra-inning final since 1970, when Southern California beat Florida State in 15 innings.
(Headline News, FYI and Sports stories were compiled in part from reports by the Associated Press and Reuters.)
ON THE TUBE TODAY!
- HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (repeat)
- RULES OF ENGAGEMENT (repeat)
- CRIMINAL MINDS (repeat)
- CSI: NY (repeat)
- AMERICA'S GOT TALENT (repeat)
- AMERICA'S GOT TALENT - More acts audition for the judges.
- LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT (repeat)
- SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE - The top 9 contestants perform.
- THE MIDDLE (repeat)
- THE MIDDLE (repeat)
- MODERN FAMILY (repeat)
- COUGAR TOWN (repeat)
- CASTLE (repeat)
- AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL (repeat)
- AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL (repeat)
- THE REAL WORLD - (seaon premiere) Strangers move to New Orleans in time for Mardi gras.
- HOT IN CLEVELAND - Elka finds love at first sight; Melanie turns out to be a dead ringer for her date's lost love.
DAY TIME TALK SHOW
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW - (repeat)
THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW - (repeat)
THE VIEW - James Franco
LATE NIGHT TALK SHOWS
THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN (CBS) - Julianne Moore, Mike Massimino, New Pornographers
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO (NBC) - (repeat)
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE (ABC) - Peter Facinelli, J.B. Smoove, Ralph Macchio, 3OH!3
THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG FERGUSON (CBS) - Mindy Kaling, Myron Mixon
LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON (NBC) - (repeat)
LAST CALL WITH CARSON DALY (NBC) - (repeat)
THE DAILY SHOW WITH JON STEWART (COMEDY CENTRAL) - Landon Donovan
THE COLBERT REPORT (COMEDY CENTRAL) - Nicholas Carr
LOPEZ TONIGHT - Kristen Stewart, Julia Jones, Billy Burke, Cee-Lo
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
POLICE SEEK "CATWOMAN" ROBBER: Police in New York are looking for a woman who robbed a store while wearing a cat mask. The suspect first struck in April 2009 at a Nine West store in Queens but most recently robbed a Manhattan shoe store for $66 and a Queens beauty shop for $500. New York City police say that the suspect, who they believe to be around 5' 6" and less than 115 pounds could be Middle Eastern. She donned the cat mask just once, opting for a scarf during the other robberies. (CBS)
GIRL EATS 60 MEALS A DAY BUT CAN'T GAIN WEIGHT: A 21-year-old girl, with a rare disorder preventing her from gaining weight must eat 60 meals a day to stay healthy. Lizzie Velasquez eats quite frequently, consuming between 5,000 and 8,000 calories each day but her condition makes it very difficult for her to gain weight. She told The Sun, "I eat every 15-20 minutes to keep my energy levels up," adding, "I weigh myself regularly and if I gain even one pound I get really excited." While many doctors are fascinated with the girl's case, Professor Abhimanyu Garg, M.D. at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas says she may have a form of Neonatal Progeroid Syndrome (NPS) which causes accelerated aging, fat loss from the face and body, and tissue degeneration. Doctors will continue to study her condition. (The Sun)
ANGRY MAN CHASES TACO STAND OWNER WITH MACHETE: An 81-year-old Oregon man is under arrest after he threatened a taco stand owner with a machete. The man was reportedly angry about a stolen drill and accused the unidentified stand's owner of being the thief. When he denied the crime, the elderly man left to get his machete. Police say that the old man returned, machete in hand, and chased the taco stand owner until officers arrested him for attempted assault. The taco stand owner wasn't injured in the chase. (AP)
THINGS THAT PISS OFF STARBUCKS EMPLOYEES (PhoenixNews.com)
1.) Needless use of the lingo: I'm paid barely enough to refer to a "medium" as a "grande." You have no excuses to call that medium coffee a "grande bold."
2.) Using the order as a way to showcase the useless knowledge of coffee you have received from some other barista: I don't want to hear about the "hints of cinnamon" you can detect in the Ethiopan blend.
3.) Rigidly upholding inevitable service distinctions. (It's not like we can say "no" to your inane requests.): For example: ordering a latte and asking that it be made at 170 degrees. Or, sending back a caramel macchiato because it mixed together. The latte WILL cool and the macchiato WILL mix together. Deal with it.
4.) Suggesting "unique" drink concoctions to me: Yes, I know that a vanilla bean frap with a little bit of Strawberry cream and a half pump of mocha tastes like a Neopolitan. I work here. Your discovery is by no means anything new. And even if these mixtures weren't obvious, I still wouldn't want to hear your train of thought.
5.) Sharing information about the progress of your so-called "big project": Sure, I'll smile, nod, and offer compliments, but that doesn't mean I'm any less convinced of the inevitable failure of your novel than your estranged spouse "Emma" is. Dear customer, she is your wife, so she can afford to be discouragingly honest with you. I, on the other hand, must make money; if I need to brown-nose, so be it.
6.) Quizzing me or offering comments about corporate performance: I don't give a crap about the press interview given by the CEO, and I don't know or want to know about any regional expansion plans. I am the equivalent of a bag boy. Memorizing the drink formulas is enough of a waste of my processing power.
What World Cup set the record for the number of yellow and red cards issued?
A: The 2006 World Cup.
The 2006 World Cup was the first Cup staged in a reunified Germany and proved a huge success. The referees in the tournament set a new record by issuing 326 yellow cards and 28 red cards, including 14 yellows and 4 reds in one match alone (Portugal vs. Netherlands). An estimated audience of 715 million people worldwide watched the final, where the most infamously earned red card was issued to head-butting French midfielder Zinedine Zidane during extra time against Italy.
WATER COOLER TALK
Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan has been praised by supporters not only for her intelligence and legal knowledge, but for her engaging and warm personality. She showed some of that on Day Two of her Senate confirmation hearings Tuesday (June 29th) with flashes of humor that drew laughs from senators and spectators alike. In one example, when asked about her statement that she supports televising Supreme Court proceedings, Kagan said, "Televising would be a good idea," then joked, "It means I'd have to get my hair done more often." In another, GOP Senator Lindsey Graham was beginning to question Kagan about her views on fighting terrorism when he asked her where she was last Christmas Day, when a suspected terrorist tried to blow up a plane as it neared Detroit. Kagan joked, "You know, like all Jews, I was probably in a Chinese restaurant." And when Democratic Senator Pat Leahy sparred with GOP Senator Orrin Hatch and Hatch said that the fight was something that keeps Congress from being, quote, "boring as hell," Kagan jovially encouraged the senators to continue, saying, "It gets the spotlight off me. I'm all for it."
A Funny Supreme Court Justice? Kagan Flashes Humor in Confirmation Hearings
Elizabeth Edwards Says It Wasn't Easy to Leave Her Husband
Elizabeth Edwards says in a new chapter for the paperback edition of her memoir, Resilience, out Tuesday (June 29th) that it wasn't easy to leave her husband, two-time Democratic presidential candidateJohn Edwards, saying she still sees the memories of their 30 years together in him. Edwards writes that she spent two years trying to, quote, "reinvent" her role as a wife so they could stay together despite her husband's admission of an affair with Rielle Hunter, with whom he fathered a baby. But she says that changed at the end of 2009, three years after John first admitted his infidelity to her. She says, "One day, I did not want to try anymore." The couple have since separated, but Edwards writes of the difficulty of leaving her law school sweetheart with whom she had four children, including a son who died at age 16. She writes, "When I closed the door on the John of today, I also had to say good-bye to that sweet man whom I had loved for so long. It was not as easy as it might have seemed to anyone looking in from the outside, who knew only the John of today." Edwards, who is battling incurable breast cancer that was first diagnosed in 2004 and then returned and spread in 2007, told People magazine that the cancer has worsened and she now has tumors in her legs, spine and skull. She says in her book that she'd like to live eight more years to see her youngest child graduate from high school.
Scientists Say World Cup Soccer Ball is Too Perfect
One of the controversies surrounding this year's World Cup soccer tournament in South Africa has been about the Adidas-made Jabulani ball, with many players complaining that it performs differently than a standard soccer ball. Scientists who've examined the Jabulani -- which means "to celebrate" in the language of South Africa's Zulu people -- have concluded that the problem may be that it's too perfect -- too round to fly straight. Eric Burton of the Institute of the Science of Movement in France said part of the problem may be that the stitches on the ball are internal, making the ball a perfect sphere. He explained to AFP, "Because of the shape, the time of contact with the foot is reduced. As a consequence, it practically doesn't spin. The ball travels a little less far, and will have a floating and unpredictable trajectory... " Wind-tunnel tests conducted in Japan also found the Jabulani was close to a perfect sphere and has a tendency to slow suddenly in mid-flight. And an Australian scientist who conducted a series of computer tests concluded that the Jabulani goes faster and is more unpredictable than a standard soccer ball.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
Jason Aldean is making serious progress on his next album. As usual, Jason says fan can expect the unexpected on this fourth release, he tells us: "We've got some things on there that are really different, really different-sounding stuff that we've never done on the other three records, so it's fun! We're still kind of right in the middle of it right now. We've got about half of it finished. We don't even have a title for it yet, but I believe that our next single's gonna be from that album, so they'll be some new music out really soon, and hopefully give everybody a taste of what to expect on the new album."
Jason says he has earned a reputation for pushing the boundaries of country music a bit, and he's proud of it. "We've kind of created a spot for ourselves where I think at times it's almost expected out of us to kind of push the envelope a little bit, and for me that's a good place to be. I never wanted to paint myself into a corner where I could only get away with doing certain kinds of songs, so we're gonna push the envelope a little bit on each record. It's not gonna be way drastically different, but just enough."
- There is no word yet on when Jason's new CD will be released.
- In the meantime, his current single, "Crazy Town," sits at Number Two on the Mediabase chart. The song is on his Wide Open CD, which was released last year.
- In other Jason news, the singer's weekend show in Orange Beach, Alabama set a venue attendance record at The Amphitheater at The Wharf with 9,301 fans in attendance. Kenny Chesney held the previous record with 9,270 fans in August of last year.
Carrie Underwood is still amazed at the simple way that her current single, "Undo It," came together. She was in Los Angeles for a series of writing appointments, a couple of which were with American Idol judge Kara DioGuardi, Luke Laird and Martin Frederiksen, and the song was basically born out of a groove, Carrie tells us: ["I don't even know. The guys had their guitars out and they were just kind of playin' something bluesy, and Kara's got such a great kind of R&B sense about her, and I know what works for me. I started na na na-ing to whatever they were playing, and it was like, 'What if that was like the hook?' I was like, 'Oh, I don't know!' Before you knew it we had 'uh uh uh undo it.' I mean, who'd have thought? How do you write that down on paper? But it didn't take that long to write, and it's so much fun to sing on stage and people get into it, and, you know, you listen to it twice (and) you know all the words, so that's always good when it's stuck in there, but, yeah, we have a lot of fun with it."] SOUNDCUE (:39 OC: . . . fun with it.)
It definitely stuck! The song hovers just outside the Top Five on the Mediabase country chart.
- Carrie recently wrapped up the first leg of her Play On tour. She resumes the trek on September 25th in Portland, Oregon.
- The superstar and her hockey player fiance, Mike Fisher, will reportedly tie the knot on July 10th in Nashville.
- "Undo It" is the third single from Carrie's current Play On CD. The previous two -- "Cowboy Casanova" and "Temporary Home" -- reached the top of the country charts.
- "Temporary Home" became Carrie's 9th Number One single on the Billboard country chart.
Sugarland's upcoming The Incredible Machine CD will be in stores on October 19th. Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush co-wrote the entire record along with co-producing it with Byron Gallimore. The album's lead single, called "Stuck Like Glue," heads to radio in late July.
- Jennifer said, "'Stuck Like Glue' is just plain, unashamed, Sugar-fun! It sticks in your brain, no pun intended. To me it feels young, hip and of course sassy! I can't wait for it to get out there so we can play it live in our show. We've been sitting on our hands to not play it live 'til it was released!"
- Sugarland is currently out on the Lilith tour. They play on Thursday (July 1st) in West Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Their next Incredible Machine date is on July 8th at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles. Special guests include Michelle Branch and Will Hoge.
- Sugarland is keeping fans up-to-date with their "The Week In Review" weekly video which takes fans behind the scenes and on the road. To view the first installment, log onto youtube.com/sugarland. Check back every Wednesday for a new posting.
- Sugarland is up for best Country Group at next month's Teen Choice Awards.
Trace Adkins will release a new CD, called Cowboy's Back In Town, on August 17th. The project is his first for Show Dog-Universal Music, which is co-headed by Toby Keith.
- Sugarland has sold over eight million records since releasing their debut CD, Twice The Speed Of Life, in 2004.
- To date, the duo has charted six Number One singles.
A special deluxe version of Cowboy's Back In Town will also be released. It features four extra tracks, including Trace's chart-topping duet with Blake Shelton, "Hillbilly Bone."
Trace co-wrote the album's title track with singer Jeff Bates and songwriter Kenny Beard.
Trailer Choir makes a special guest appearance on a song called "Don't Mind If I Don't."
- Trace said, "There's an excitement surrounding this whole new chapter in our lives, and it's reflected in the work I've done on this record. The musicians I brought together are long-time friends, and it doesn't get much better than that. I had a great time making it, I'm in a great spot creatively, and I think all that shows in the way it sounds."
- In addition to headlining his own concerts, Trace is on the road as part of Toby Keith's American Ride tour. Their next show is on July 10th in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Trace will be the headliner at the July 4th celebration at Nashville's Riverfront Park on Sunday.
Little Big Town will take to their motorcycles for their fourth annual Ride For A Cure in Nashville to benefit the T.J. Martell Foundation on July 11th. The motorcycle ride will begin at the Tin Roof in Nashville restaurant and bar and continue to the Harley-Davidson Superstore in Columbia, Tennessee.
- Trace has sold more than 10 million records since releasing his debut CD, Dreamin' Out Loud, in 1996.
- He has charted three Number One hits and 14 Top 10s.
The Ride will conclude with a concert by Little Big Town, Luke Bryan, Josh Thompson and The Band Perry, among others.
- The T. J. Martell Foundation is offering a special VIP ticket for $300 that includes breakfast, access to the VIP areas during the ride, lunch, a gift bag, T-shirt and performance. Rider plus concert tickets are $35 and include the ride, lunch, t-shirt and performance. Concert tickets alone are $20. Tickets may be purchased online at nashvillerideforacure.com.
- Proceeds from Ride for a Cure locally supports cancer research at the Frances Williams Preston Laboratories at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center.
Only five country stars have made Forbes' Celebrity 100 List, which ranks the richest and most powerful actors, actresses and musicians. Taylor Swift comes in at Number 12, followed by Kenny Chesney at Number 54; Rascal Flatts at Number 62; Toby Keith at Number 67; and Keith Urban at Number 76.Willie Nelson's Annual 4th of July Picnic will include performances from Jack Ingram, Jamey Johnson, Kris Kristofferson, Kevin Fowler, the Randy Rogers Band and Willie himself. The show starts at noon on Sunday and will air live from Austin on Sirius XM's Willie's Place.
- Little Big Town's latest single, "Little White Church," is a Top 15 hit and climbing on the charts.
- Their new CD, The Reason Why, will be released on August 24th.
- Little Big Town continues to play fairs and festivals as well as opening for Sugarland on theirIncredible Machine tour.