KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
Kenny Chesney's 2010 break from the stage spotlight this summer proved to be just what the superstar needed. Years of back-to-back tours wore Kenny out physically, mentally and creatively, and while he didn't miss the daily grind of life on the road this summer, Kenny tells us he did miss a few things, namely the fans. "I missed certain things. I missed the first note of every night. I missed the energy that's exchanged between me and the crowd. I have missed that, but I haven't missed bein' on a bus all day, and I haven't missed going to catering at five o'clock. You know what I mean? I haven't missed certain things that come along with that stuff, but I do miss it. We haven't got the dates settled yet but we're already workin' on next year. I mean, I know what my stage looks like already. I know what the screens look like. I know all that stuff."
Kenny filled his time with some R&R as well as a few new adventures. "I've been travelin' and I've just been hangin' out. I've been workin' a lot. I made two movies in my year off, believe it or not. That (3-D movie) consumed me from late November all the way until May, and then we started on this football thing, so that's kind of what I've been doin'. (I've been) playin' some music, writin' some songs. I feel more creative now than I have in a while. Makin' this film has allowed me to stay creatively. . . feed myself creatively in other ways than makin' music, and I enjoy it."
Twenty-eight of Trace Adkins' biggest hits and fan favorites will be included on a two-CD compilation, called The Definitive Greatest Hits: Til the Last Shot's Fired. The collection will be in stores on October 12th.
- Kenny also found time to record his new album, Hemingway's Whiskey, which will be in stores on September 28th.
- The special limited-edition deluxe version includes two bonus tracks and a 30-minute DVD which features Kenny talking about each track on the CD.
- Kenny's new football documentary, Boys Of Fall, premiered on Sunday (August 29th) on ESPN.
The Definitive Greatest Hits will track Trace's career from his 1996 debut single, "There's a Girl in Texas," through 2009's "All I Ask for Anymore." It features his three Number One singles -- "You're Gonna Miss This," "(This Ain't No) Thinkin' Thing" and "Ladies Love Country Boys" -- and other hits, including "The Rest of Mine," "I'm Tryin'," "Then They Do," "Hot Mama," "Songs About Me" and "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk."
- The compilation is being released by Trace's former label, Capitol Nashville, where he spent the last 13 years.
Blake Shelton's very first television concert special will premiere on September 8th on GAC at 9 p.m. ET. The 90-minute show was shot at Roberts Stadium in Evansville, Indiana.
- In January, Trace announced plans to move from Capitol to Show Dog-Universal Music, a company headed by Toby Keith.
- His first project for the label, Cowboy's Back in Town, was released on August 17th and debuted at the top of Billboard's country albums chart.
Blake said, "When I was a teenager in Oklahoma, Garth Brooks had his first television special and everybody I knew taped it. It was the biggest thing ever. I probably watched it 100 times; there was this huge stage and I remember thinking, 'That's what you do and that's what I want to do one day.'"
Blake Shelton Live: It's All About Tonight will include Blake's biggest hits as well as some new music and a special performance of his hit "Home" performed as a duet with Miranda Lambert.
- Blake's latest "six-pak" project, It's All About Tonight, was released earlier this month.
- The album's title track recently topped the country charts.
- Blake's first greatest hits compilation will be released in November.
- Blake charted another Number One hit, "Hillbilly Bone," earlier this year.
- His "six-pak" of the same name was released in February of this year.
James Otto has spent the last few days doting on his brand new daughter, Ava Katherine. This is James and his wife, Amy's, first child, and as James tells us, the whole experience has forever changed him."I've been anticipating it for the last nine months and talking about it, and it's just an abstract concept until she's there, right? You think about it and wonder what it's gonna be like, and now five days in, and no sleep in the last five days, I can say with all honesty I already know that it's been a huge life-changing event."
James said he knew he was wrapped around little Ava's finger from the first moment she took her first breath. was
real calm and completely together and pulled together even during all of the labor -- she (Amy) was in labor for like 11 or 12 hours -- and I wasn't worried, wasn't like overly emotional, and then as soon as I heard her cry it just completely broke me down. I was like, 'Oh my God! Here we go!'"
- James' other new baby, his new album, Shake What God Gave Ya, will be released on September 14th.
- It includes his brand new single, "Soldiers & Jesus," which is currently climbing the country charts.
Brad Paisley, LeAnn Rimes and Carrie Underwood will be featured in the ABC special, In the Spotlight With Robin Roberts: All Access Nashville, set to air on November 9th on ABC. The show will be broadcast the night before the CMA Awards. Another ABC special, CMA Music Festival: Country's Night to Rock, will air tomorrow (Wednesday, September 1st) night at 8 p.m. ET. The show will be hosted byTim McGraw.
- James' latest album, Sunset Man, was released in 2008.
- "Just Got Started Lovin' You" became James' first Number One hit, as well as the Number One country single of 2008, according to Billboard.
Fans can pre-order the limited edition, one-of-a-kind box set, Hank Williams: The Complete Mother's Best Recordings....Plus! online at hankwilliamsmothersbest.com or by calling 212-991-5195. The first one hundred pre-orders will be accompanied by a specially designed T-shirt or other memorabilia.Buddy Jewell will hit the road on a 40-market tour beginning on Thursday (September 2nd) in Munster, Indiana. After wrapping the fall leg in Union City, Tennessee on October 2nd, Buddy will head across the Pacific for dates in Japan and China.
- His show on Saturday (September 4th) in Lewisburg, Tennessee is a benefit for the Caney Springs Volunteer Fire Department.
- Buddy's latest single is called "Somebody Who Would Die For You."
- Buddy won the debut season of the USA Network show Nashville Star in 2003.
- The grand prize was a recording contract with Columbia Records in Nashville, where he released two albums.
- His self-titled debut album entered the Top Country Album Charts at Number One and was later certified gold. His first two singles were Top Five hits.
Q. Who originally recorded "Fancy," which was later recorded by Reba McEntire and became a big hit?
A. Bobbie Gentry
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY
ON THE STREETS/GAC 2:00PM, 9:00PM (ET)
Randy Rogers Band
SUPERSTAR SESSIONS: TOBY KEITH/GAC 10:00PM (ET)
LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN/CBS 11:35PM (ET)
Richard Gere (actor, An Officer And A Gentleman, Pretty Woman, Dr. T & The Women, Chicago; husband of Carey Lowell; former husband of Cindy Crawford) (61)
- Itzhak Perlman (famous violinist) (65)
- Frank Robinson (Hall Of Fame baseball player, the first black manager in the major leagues) (75)
- Deborah Gibson ('80s pop star, formerly Debbie Gibson) (40)
- Gina Schock (drummer of the Go-Gos) (53)
- Van Morrison (rock legend) (65)
- Glenn Tilbrook (singer-guitarist, Squeeze) (53)
- Rudolf Schenker (guitarist, the Scorpions) (62)
- Reb Beach (guitarist, Winger, Alice Cooper, Dokken, Whitesnake) (47)
- Chris Tucker (actor-comedian, The Fifth Element, the Rush Hour movies) (38)
- Marcia Clark (prosecutor in the O.J. Simpson murder trial) (57)
- Joe Budden (rapper) (30)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
The Dixie Chicks' Fly album was released in 1999.
- Clay Walker earned his first platinum album with his self-titled debut in 1994.
- George Jones topped the Billboard country singles list with "The Grand Tour" in 1974.
- Dolly Parton's "Love Is Like A Butterfly" became her third Number One in a year in 1974.
- Merle Haggard's prison-themed "Mama Tried" claimed the top spot on the Billboard country singles chart in 1968.
- Jeannie C. Riley made her Opry debut in 1968.
- Roy Clark married Barbara Joyce Rupard in 1957
BROOKE SHIELDS BREAKS HAND: Theater is dangerous -- just ask Brooke Shields. A rep for the actress confirmed that she was injured during rehearsals for her upcoming Los Angeles show, explaining, "Brooke broke her hand during rehearsal for the musical Leap of Faith. The cast will be off before previews on Sept. 11. It was a minor break and did not affect the production schedule."
SAMANTHA RONSON IMPLICATED IN DOG DEATH: Lindsay Lohan's ex-girlfriend Samantha Ronson has been named in a dog attack that occurred near her L.A. apartment, which left one animal dead. TMZ.com reports that someone called 911 on Monday, claiming a pit bull attacked a smaller dog, and then attacked the smaller dog's female owner. When police arrived on the scene, the smaller dog was dead -- and they believe the pit bull belongs to Ronson. The small dog's owner only suffered minor injuries.
FARRAH FAWCETT'S DAD DIES: Farrah Fawcett's father James died last week at the age of 92.RadarOnline.com reports that Farrah's son, Redmond O'Neal attended a memorial service last Friday, however his dad Ryan choose not to attend. Radar claims that Ryan and James had a "dramatic" falling out after Farrah's death last year. James' obituary asked that donations be made to the American Cancer Society in his name and not his daughter's charity, the Farrah Fawcett Foundation.
JESSE JAMES AND KAT VON D ARE ON: There's now photographic evidence that Jesse James andKat Von D are dating. Onlookers saw (and snapped) the two walking hand-in-hand around Texas over the weekend. One witness told RadarOnline.com, "I saw Jesse and Kat holding hands while walking down the main street sidewalk of Fredricksburg, Texas. They came into town early afternoon Sunday on a motorcycle. They were chatting, holding hands and headed towards the Admiral Nimitz Museum." Check out the pictures: http://tinyurl.com/2brw3bx
'DANCING WITH THE STARS' CAST REVEALED
The latest cast of Dancing With the Stars was no secret. Tom Bergeron and Brooke Burke confirmed during Monday night's (August 30th) Bachelor Pad that Bristol Palin and Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino will be among the contestants competing on the reality show's 11th season, which kicks off on September 20th.
The complete cast is as follows:
- Brandy, singer
- Jennifer Grey, actress, Dirty Dancing
- Margaret Cho, comedienne, actress
- Audrina Patridge, reality star, The Hills
- Florence Henderson, actress, The Brady Bunch
- Bristol Palin, former first daughter of Alaska
- Rick Fox, former NBA champ
- Michael Bolton, singer
- Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino, reality star, Jersey Shore
- David Hasselhoff, actor, Baywatch
- Kurt Warner, former NFL champ
- Kyle Massey, actor, Disney's Cory in the House
SLIGHT INCREASE IN EMMY AUDIENCE: A slightly larger audience tuned into the Emmys this year compared to 2009. Reuters reported that 13.5 million people watched Sunday night's show, compared with 13.3 million the year before. The show was bumped up nearly a month to avoid competition with football games. This year also marked the first time that the show aired live in all time zones.
BRAD PITT VOICING SUPER BOWL DOCUMENTARY: Brad Pitt will voice the NFL's upcoming documentary about the New Orleans' Saints Super Bowl victory. In America's Game: 2009 New Orleans Saints, Pitt will narrate the story behind the team's win over the Indianapolis Colts last February. The film debuts on the NFL Network on September 8th -- the night before the Saints begin their defense of the Super Bowl title. Past narrators have included Alec Baldwin, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, Ed Harris, Martin Sheen, Bruce Willis, James Gandolfini and Jon Hamm.
BRADLEY COOPER AND RYAN REYNOLDS TEAMING UP: Bradley Cooper and Ryan Reynoldshave signed up to star in an action movie as a pair of cops who bring their retired police dads along for a ride-along. According to E!, the guys ask their fathers to help solve a case, "all the while predictably dealing with their own paternal issues."
JOHN CUSACK PLAYING EDGAR ALLEN POE: John Cusack will play Edgar Allen Poe in the new murder mystery, The Raven -- a fictionalized account of Poe's mysterious last days chasing a serial killer. Cusack announced on Twitter, "Official I will play Edgar Allen Poe in fall. A film called The Raven, send any Poe gold my way as I begin this journey into the abyss." Ewan McGregor and Jeremy Renner are reportedly in talks to join the cast.
'TOY STORY 3' MAKES $1 BILLION: Toy Story 3 has broken another box office record -- it's become the first ever animated movie to make $1 billion. The film already surpassed Shrek 2 earlier in the month to become the world's most successful cartoon film of all time. The film is the second Disney picture to reach the billion-dollar total this year -- joining Alice in Wonderland.
LEA MICHELE REPORTEDLY DISPLAYS DIVA BEHAVIOR AFTER EMMYS
Lea Michele apparently isn't going out of her way to disprove the "diva" reports that have been floating around over the past year. HollywoodLife.com reports that on her way out of an Emmy afterparty, the Glee star grabbed her boyfriend Theo Stockman's hand and said, "Oh my God, I totally need bodyguards. Ugh!"
That wasn't the only gossip HollywoodLife noted at the parties:
- Although it was reported that she's dating her Parenthood co-star Peter Berg, Lauren Grahamappeared to be rekindling her romance with former Friends star Matthew Perry. Supposedly the two didn't kiss, but were "very touchy feely with each other."
- Anna Paquin was spotted "dragging her new hubby around by the hand all night, declining interviews, but posing prettily for photos with anyone who asked."
- Jenny McCarthy showed some major PDA with new boyfriend Jason Toohey.
- Bachelor Pad stars Tenley Molzahn and Kiptyn Locke came out as a couple on the red carpet. She admitted, "This is probably a spoiler. Yes, tonight is our first night out as an actual couple. It feels good to actually come out. We were friends first and he was always, always a crush. He's just one of the most genuine guys I've ever met."
SANDRA BULLOCK CALLS SON 'MY LITTLE CAJUN COOKIE'
Sandra Bullock is still an optimist, despite a trying year that included her public divorce from Jesse James. In an interview airing on Today this morning, Sandra told Matt Lauer, "I think everything works out the way the universe wants it to work out."
She commented on the "long, long process" of adopting her now-seven-month-old son Louis, explaining that the baby "was always mine. It wasn't like I felt someone was going to take him away. But it was nice to have someone say, 'I think you're a fit parent.'"
Sandra was happy to discuss her "little Cajun cookie," telling Matt that he's worshiped in the Bullock family. She explained, "We don't have any boys in our family. Boy, is everyone really happy about that. So he's like the crown prince. It was just the hierarchy that needed to be broken."
- As for how she kept Louis a secret in the wake of her split, Sandra said that her friends and family "are filled [with] massive amounts of integrity" and are "still the same friends" when things go bad." After having suffered a massive betrayal, Sandra said she doesn't tolerate people in her life who are disloyal. She said, "They know if they screw up they're not coming on the next vacation. I'm not going to babysit their kids. I will cut them. I will take them down."
- The interview -- Bullock's first televised sitdown since her split from James -- took place in Louis's birthplace of New Orleans, where she marked the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.
PARIS HILTON CHARGED WITH FELONY COCAINE POSSESSION
Paris Hilton was charged with felony cocaine possession in connection with her Las Vegas arrest last weekend. TMZ.com reports that the heiress is facing prosecution for possession of a controlled substance -- .8 grams of cocaine. If found guilty, she could be sentenced to a maximum four years behind bars.
Paris keeps changing her story about how the drug wound up there -- but she's continuing to deflect the blame. TMZ reported that at first Paris told police that she'd borrowed the purse from a friend, but now she's claiming that the purse was indeed hers, but had been in the possession of a friend.
- According to police report obtained by TMZ, cops also found a "broken tablet of Albuterol" inside the purse. Albuterol is a prescription medication used to control wheezing, and Paris did not deny that the drug was hers. Also inside the bag? Zig Zag wrappers, which are commonly used to roll joints.
- Cops originally stopped Paris and her boyfriend Cy Waits after noticing "the strong odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle."
- The contents of the purse were discovered after Paris was escorted into a bathroom at the Wynn and announced she needed to put on lip balm. The officer wrote, "As she began to open (the purse), I saw a small bindle of what I believed to be cocaine in a clear baggy begin to fall from the purse and into my hand."
- When confronted, Paris said that she though the cocaine was gum!
HILTON'S BOYFRIEND REPORTEDLY FIRED
In other news, Cy's bosses at Wynn and Encore properties have reportedly fired him due to the arrest. E! News reports that Waits, who was busted for driving under the influence, subsequently lost his job as head of nightclub operations for Wynn and Encore.
CHECK IT OUT: Worst lies ever told: http://tinyurl.com/2fvo2wc
'GLEE' CAST REPORTEDLY WANTS MORE ALBUM PROFITS
The cast of Glee is reportedly upset -- but not because they lost the Emmy for Best Comedy Series. TheNew York Post reports that some of the principal cast members are furious that they're not getting their fair share of money for the profitable show soundtracks.
After the latest record, Glee: The Music -- Journey to Regionals reached number one on the Billboard 200 chart in June, Mark Salling said he'd seen "not a dime" of royalty payments from Sony Music. Co-starCorey Montieth said during a radio interview, "I got 400 bucks from it going No. 1. But you know what, that's OK, because if I'm patient, and if this thing does really well, maybe I'll see another 400 bucks."
- The Post claims that Sony struck a deal with executive producer Ryan Murphy, but the cast was largely cut out. A source told the paper, "The 'Glee' cast is furious because they feel they were misled by Sony. They have all complained to Ryan that they want a bigger share of the royalties."
- Perhaps out of revenge, several cast members have struck solo deals with rival record labels. The insider added, "Sony should have known better -- they kept their hands on money that could have paid to the cast. But by upsetting the biggest talent on TV, the label is cutting its nose off to spite its face. It is myopic, short-term thinking on their part."
- A rep for Lea Michele -- who the Post claims is expected to a solo deal with Sony -- denied a conflict, saying, "Lea Michele has always enjoyed working with Sony."
CHECK IT OUT: Most underpaid jobs: http://tinyurl.com/29njjc2
'SNL' REPORTEDLY ADDS THREE NEW CAST MEMBERS
Lorne Michaels is reportedly pumping new blood into the Saturday Night Live cast. The New York Postreports that Taran Killam, best known from Scrubs, and two young comedians from Chicago -- Paul Brittain and Vanessa Bayer -- have been signed to the cast, suggesting that some veterans won't be returning.
Will Forte has already confirmed his exit and the Post claims that Seth Meyers, Andy Samberg, Jason Sudeikis and Kenan Thompson are among those who have yet to hear their fate on the show.
- Killam is the best-known newbie; in addition to his role on Scrubs, the 28-year-old has a year-old baby with longtime girlfriend, How I Met Your Mother's Cobie Smulders.
- SNL's 36th season kicks off in late September.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch video of the new cast members: http://tinyurl.com/2eea2ko
SNOOKI'S BOYFRIEND PROPOSES ON MAGAZINE COVER
Snooki's self-proclaimed non-fame-whore boyfriend has proposed to the reality star -- through a magazine. Jeff Miranda is featured on the cover of the September 10th issue of Steppin' Out Magazine, next to a headline directed at Snooki that reads: "Will You Marry Me?"
The 24-year-old said that he decided to propose because, "I want us to be together forever. I could see us having children. I want to pop the question to her. If we got married we would be the best parents around. She's so loving and puts everyone else before herself. She'll be a great mother."
- Jeff acknowledged that Snooki was going to be shocked by his in-print proposal -- and MTV probably would not be happy. However, he said, "I love her and want to be with her. I will never break her heart. She's such a great girl. If people could see us together they would think we're a match made in heaven. People think I'm using her for fame. But that's bull."
WOMAN SUING 'JERSEY SHORE'
In other news, a woman is suing the cast of Jersey Shore, along with the show's parent and production company, claiming she was assaulted by security guards affiliated with the program. The plaintiff, identified only as "J.P.," alleges that after a fight with Snooki, bodyguards wrestled her to the ground, causing a gash on her chin that's supposedly become a permanent scar. Her court papers also accuse TV bosses of illegally profiting from criminal behavior by filming such scenes for the show.
CHECK IT OUT:
OBAMA CALLS ON CONGRESS TO PASS SMALL-BUSINESS AID MEASURE: President Obamacalled on Congress yesterday (August 30th) to pass a long-stalled small business aid measure as its first priority when it returns next month from its summer break. Speaking in the Rose Garden after meeting with his economic advisers, the president placed blame with the GOP, saying, "I ask Senate Republicans to drop the blockade." Obama said he'd present other specific ideas in the days ahead to help boost the still-fragile economy, including extending the Bush tax cuts due to expire this year for households making under $250,000 a year, increasing the nation's investment in clean energy, rebuilding more roads and highways, and tax cuts designed to keep jobs in the U.S.
TWO ON U.S. FLIGHT ARRESTED IN NETHERLANDS ON TERROR-RELATED CHARGES: Two men on a United Airlines flight from Chicago to Amsterdam were arrested in the Netherlands and have been charged with "preparation of a terrorist attack," ABC News reported yesterday (August 30th). U.S. officials said the two appeared to be traveling with mock bombs in their luggage, with one senior law enforcement official telling ABC, "This was almost certainly a dry run, a test." Officials said the two men, Ahmed Mohamed Nasser al Soofi of Detroit and Hezem al Murisi of Yemen, were allowed to board the flight in Chicago Sunday night despite security concerns about one of them. Al Soofi was stopped in Birmingham, Alabama, for additional screening and was found to be carrying $7,000 in cash, and in his luggage was a cell phone taped to a Pepto-Bismol bottle, three cell phones taped together, several watches taped together, a box cutter and three large knives. However, there was no indication of explosives and he was cleared for the flight to O'Hare. Once in Chicago, officials say they discovered al Soofi checked his luggage on a flight to Washington's Dulles airport for connections on flights to Dubai and then Yemen, even though he didn't board the flight himself. Instead, he was joined by Al Murisi and boarded the flight to Amsterdam.
FOUR U.S. TROOPS KILLED IN AFGHANISTAN: Four American soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb in eastern Afghanistan Tuesday (August 31st), one day after seven U.S. troops were killed in the country. There have been 18 U.S. service members killed since Saturday, to bring this month's total in Afghanistan to 53. Another member of the international coalition whose nationality hasn't been released was also killed on Monday.
IRANIAN STATE MEDIA CALL FRENCH FIRST LADY A 'PROSTITUTE': Iranian state media called French first lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy a "prostitute" on Monday (August 30th), the unusual attack showing anger over her support for an Iranian woman who faced death by stoning for adultery. Iran has temporarily suspended the sentence after an international outcry, but hasn't thrown it out altogether. Bruni-Sarkozy, the wife of French President Nicolas Sarkozy, has condemned the stoning sentence, and wrote an open letter supporting the woman that was printed in several French news outlets last week. Iran's Kayhan newspaper, whose editor is a representative of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, described Bruni-Sarkozy as a prostitute Saturday (August 28th), and a state-owned news website carried similar remarks Monday, calling her "morally corrupt" and saying there are rumors that she's having an affair. The French president's office declined to comment.
HIGH-END SALES BOOMING WHILE LOWER-PRICE RETAIL SUFFERING: There's more evidence that wealthier Americans have bounced back well from the Great Recession, but the rest of the country is continuing to suffer in the anemic economy. The Financial Times reported Sunday (August 29th) that high-end stores like Neiman Marcus and Tiffany are seeing booming sales, while mass-market, low-price retailers, like Walmart, are continuing to struggle. The FT report said mass-market retailers had initially managed to offset the impact of the recession through discounting, which higher-end companies were suffering more. But now it's those luxury retailers that are bouncing back quickly.
FACEBOOK POST GETS JUROR IN TROUBLE: A juror in a suburban Detroit trail was kicked off the jury and faces possible contempt charges for writing in a Facebook post that the defendant in the still-ongoing trial was guilty. Hadley Jons was on the jury for a case of resisting arrest when, on a day off from the trial and before the prosecution finished its case, she posted on Facebook that it was, quote, "gonna be fun to tell the defendant they're guilty." The day after the post was discovered by defense lawyer Saleema Sheikh's son, the judge replaced the 20-year-old Jons on the jury with an alternate. Sheikh wants Jons to face real repercussions, telling AP, "I would like to see her get some jail time, nothing major, a few hours or overnight. This is the jury system. People need to know how important it is."
NFL PLAYER TROY POLAMALU'S TRADEMARK HAIR GETS INSURED: Head and Shoulders shampoo announced yesterday (August 30th) that it's insuring NFL player Troy Polamalu's trademark long, bushy hair for $1 million. The insurance policy for the Pittsburgh Steelers safety, who is a spokesperson for Head and Shoulders, will cover his hair for the entire NFL season. Polamalu said, "Head and Shoulders has gone above and beyond this year by insuring my Samoan locks for a cool $1 million. This reinforces that my full and thick hair is unstoppable."
CLEMENS PLEADS NOT GUILTY TO CHARGES OF LYING TO CONGRESS: Former pitching greatRoger Clemens pleaded not guilty yesterday (August 30th) to charges of lying to Congress in 2008 when he denied that he'd ever used steroids or human growth hormone during his baseball career. The seven-time Cy Young Award winner's arraignment at the federal courthouse in Washington, D.C., took just 14 minutes, during which the judge set April 5th as the start of jury selection. Clemens faces six counts, three of making false statements, two of perjury and one of obstruction of Congress.
MANNY RAMIREZ GOES TO THE WHITE SOX: Slugger Manny Ramirez is heading to the Chicago White Sox after the team claimed him on waivers from the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Sox are hoping the 12-time All-Star, who's expected to join the team today (August 31st), can help them get into the playoffs. Ramirez was traded to the Dodgers from the Boston Red Sox in 2008. Although he led Los Angeles to the playoffs in his first year with them, he was suspended for 50 games in 2009 after a failed drug test. This season, the 38-year-old player has been slowed by leg injuries.
U.S. OPEN GETS UNDERWAY IN NEW YORK: The U.S. Open got underway in Queens, New York, Monday (August 30th), with first-round wins from headline players include Venus Williams, Roger Federer, Andy Roddick, and 2009 defending champion Kim Clijsters. The only major upset was that of 32nd-seeded Lleyton Hewitt, the 2001 U.S. Open winner, who lost to 109th-ranked Paul-Henri Mathieuof France.
- Serena Williams isn't playing in the U.S. Open after undergoing surgery for deep cuts on her right foot.
(Headline News, FYI and Sports stories were compiled in part from reports by the Associated Press and Reuters.)
ON THE TUBE TODAY!
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS - President Obama talks to the nation.
- NCIS (repeat)
- NCIS: LOS ANGELES (repeat)
- THE GOOD WIFE (repeat)
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS - President Obama talks to the nation.
- MINUTE TO WIN IT - Sisters compete together hoping to win the grand prize.
- AMERICA'S GOT TALENT - Twelve more acts perform.
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS - President Obama talks to the nation.
- GLEE (repeat)
- GLEE (repeat)
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS - President Obama talks to the nation.
- WIPEOUT - Female contestants compete for cash.
- SHAQ VS - Shaq prepares for a dance challenge with Justin Bieber.
- PRIMETIME: CRIME - Tactics investigators use to get suspects to talk during investigations.
- PLAIN JANE (repeat)
- LIFE UNEXPECTED (repeat)
- FLIPPING OUT - Jeff takes Casa Vega on as a client.
- THE RACHEL ZOE PROJECT - Rachel visits Kate Hudson in London.
- RESCUE ME - Tommy and Sheila do their best to adjust to life after Damian's accident.
DAY TIME TALK SHOW
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW - (repeat)
THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW - (repeat)
THE VIEW - (repeat)
LATE NIGHT TALK SHOWS
THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN (CBS) - Michael Douglas, Merle Haggard
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO (NBC) - Kim Kardashian, Rep. Barney Frank, Norah Jones
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE (ABC) - (repeat)
THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG FERGUSON (CBS) - Don Johnson, Laura Lippman
LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON (NBC) - Drew Barrymore, Snoop Dogg, Black Mountain
LAST CALL WITH CARSON DALY (NBC) - (repeat)
THE DAILY SHOW WITH JON STEWART (COMEDY CENTRAL) - (repeat)
THE COLBERT REPORT (COMEDY CENTRAL) - (repeat)
LOPEZ TONIGHT - (repeat)
OFF BEAT BREIFS.....
MISTAKEN ID JAILS PASTOR: In Shreveport, Louisiana a case of mistaken identity has put a minister behind bars. When Pastor Gregory Jones was pulled over for speeding, police mistook him for man wanted for violating parole in Texas. Not only does the Pastor share the same name as the wanted man, but also they both have the same birthday and both have a Texas driver's license. Jones was arrested but a picture and fingerprint check eventually confirmed that the pastor was not the wanted man. (Myfoxdwf.com)
SURGEON REMOVES TOOTHBRUSH FROM TEEN'S STOMACH: A New Zealand teen who swallowed her toothbrush after tripping down the stairs while brushing her teeth had to be taken to the hospital to get it removed. After the fall, the girl's brother rushed to help her from choking but a gag reflex caused her to swallow the toothbrush whole. The unusual mishap happened in 2007, but has created headlines now after being reported for the first time in the latest edition of the New Zealand Medical Journal. The surgeon removed the 7.5-inch toothbrush by pulling it out through her mouth using a snare. The procedure only took 10-minute and the girl was under a general anesthetic. (Myfoxdfw.com)
ALLEGED BROWNIE BANDIT CAUGHT: A Louisiana man has been arrested after repeatedly breaking into a bakery to steal freshly baked brownies and leaving a mess of broken windows behind. Jamon J. Simoneaux, 18, was actually holding a bag full of brownies when cops arrested him last week. The owners of the bakery estimated that he took about 12 dozen brownies and two-dozen sugar cookies. Simoneaux was charged with six counts of simple burglary and four counts of simple criminal damage to property. His bond is set at $90,000. (Miamiherlad.com)
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW.
CLEAVAGE IS NO. 1 INTERVIEW APPEARANCE MISTAKE: Turning up to a job interview in a tight top or with cleavage on display is the quickest way for a woman not to get the job, according to research. The next biggest dress-code mistake is a black bra underneath a white top. The research also showed that men ruin their prospects most often by turning up in a badly ironed shirt, high-waisted pants or comedy tie. The survey of 2,000 employers also found that a third of bosses make a decision in the first 90 seconds of an interview. (Daily Mail)
64% OF WOMEN WOULD RELEASE SEX TAPE TO ADVANCE CAREERS: According to a survey of Generation Y users of the dating website Can Do Better, 64 percent of women would release a sex tape if it would help advance their careers. The survey found that 45 percent of women also answered that they would sleep with their professor to pass a college class. (Meanwhile, a relatively paltry 42 percent of men would pull a "Kardashian.") The amoral behavior wasn't just reserved for sex acts: 36 percent of women replied they would blackmail a co-worker or a boss to get ahead. (Asylum.com)
60% OF PEOPLE WANT KIDS-ONLY SECTION ON PLANE: A recent survey conducted by Skyscanner, an airline fare-comparison website, suggested that people want planes to have kids-only sections. Nearly 60 percent of more than 2,000 travelers polled say they want airlines to create such a section. Nearly 20 percent went as far to say they'd prefer child-free flights. Skyscanner spokeswoman Mary Porter says results of the unscientific poll are not surprising. A previous poll found that young children are the "most annoying" factor on flights. "I can still remember that feeling of dread when you found yourself seated next to a baby on a long flight," Porter says. "However, since regularly flying with my 1-year-old, I am much more aware of what a stressful and often embarrassing situation it can be for parents." (USA Today)
MORE THAN 9 MILLION BRITS HAVE NEVER USED THE INTERNET: Over nine million adults in Britain have never used the internet, new research has revealed. A study by the Office of National Statistics found the elderly, widowed and people on lower incomes were less likely to connect to the internet. Campaign groups have warned that Britain faces a 'digital divide' if more progress is not made to get millions more online. The new ONS report claims only one percent of 16 to 24-year-olds having never used the internet, compared to 60 percent of over-65s. Today more than 38 million adults in the UK are online -- with 30 million accessing the internet every day. (Telegraph)
MACHO MEN HAVE THEIR OWN SCENT: Macho men have a different type of body odor to others, research has found. It is thought the phenomenon helps women sniff out alpha males, in the belief they will provide them with healthy children. The scented signal may also provide wimps with a subtle warning that there is a superior male nearby who is not to be messed with. German psychologists behind the findings studied the link between a man's sweat and his level of aggression, which is critical to the survival of a species. They attached cotton armpit pads to badminton players during an important tournament and did the same to a group of men running non-competitively. Women volunteers said the smell of both sweat samples was 'mildly unpleasant'. However sophisticated tests on the womens' skin found they were more aroused by the badminton players' sweat, with anxious women the most sensitive. (Daily Mail)
Back to school! How much money was spent at kids clothing stores in August 2009?
A: $7.2 billion
WATER COOLER TALK
Community Divided Over Building Casino Near the Gettysburg BattlefieldA plan to build a casino near the Gettysburg historic battlefield in Pennsylvania is dividing the community, with supporters saying it will bring jobs, more tourists and tax breaks to the area, and opponents saying it's inappropriate for a casino to be so close to hallowed ground and will cheapen the area. The proposed Mason Dixon Resort and Casino would be within a mile of the Civil War battlefield. It's a scaled-down plan after the developer's first proposed casino was rejected in 2006 by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board amid an outcry that gambling would sully the character of the battlefield.
Meg Whitman, California's GOP Nominee for Governor, Called for Jury Duty
Among the people reporting for jury duty in Redwood City, California, Monday (August 30th) was Meg Whitman, the Republican nominee for governor, who had to take a break from campaigning to respond to a jury summons. Whitman wasn't selected for a jury yesterday, but might be called back later this week. Her spokesperson, Sarah Pompei, said Whitman enjoyed meeting her fellow potential jurors, but was looking forward to returning to the campaign trail.
More Companies Allowing Their Workers to Nap
More companies are allowing their workers to nap during the day, believing the short break will refresh workers and help boost productivity. BusinessWeek reports that among the companies with nap policies are Nike, which has areas called "quiet rooms" that can also be used for meditation, and Google, which has several futuristic napping pods scattered throughout its California headquarters. The magazine says that other companies are outsourcing napping, citing a Manhattan napping spa called Yelo that has provided services to Hearst, Newsweek and Time Warner. It offers naps in a treatment room in which clients can adjust aromatherapy, sound, and lighting, with a 20-minute nap costing $15.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
Taylor Swift premiered the new video for her single, "Mine," on Friday (August 27th) in Kennebunkport, Maine, during a live CMT special. It's the same place Swift fimled the clip earlier this summer with actor Toby Hemingway, so she wanted to return there for the special premiere.
According to CMT.com, nearly 800 people came out for the event, including former President George H.W. Bush, who brought his grandchildren to see Swift. He owns an estate in Kennebunkport.
Swift told the crowd, "It's been so wonderful spending time in this town and in this part of the country. We saw this car painted with all the lyrics of my songs today driving around blasting 'Mine.'"
- Swift talked about the meaning behind "Mine," revealing, "For me, I am so obsessed with love and fascinated by it, but I'm also kind of confused by it, too. I have this habit of sort of running away from it. This song is about the idea that if you met the right person -- and you've met that person that was worth working through and fighting for -- that you could make it actually work out."
- Swift said she loves the video because it tells the story of a relationship -- the good times and the bad, noting, "I think the huge argument scene is one of my favorite parts of the video because it's about actually working through your problems."
- The single will appear on Swift's upcoming album, Speak Now, due October 25th.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch the video: http://tinyurl.com/2enqxy4Who are the hottest bachelors in country music? TheBoot.com asked fans to chime in on their favorites via Facebook and Twitter, and Chuck Wicks took the lead spot. As for his personal dating mantra, he says, "My idea of the perfect date is one that leaves you anxious to have the second one."
In second place was Jaron Lowenstein of Jaron and the Long Road to Love, followed by Jimmy Wayne, Jake Owen, Chris Young, Lady Antebellum's Dave Haywood and Josh Thompson. Jason Jones and Lee Brice tied for ninth place, while Jerrod Niemann landed in tenth.
CHECK IT OUT: See the list: http://tinyurl.com/33euzb7Josh Turner and his wife Jennifer are expecting their third boy together. Turner broke the gender news on NBC's Today show last Friday (August 27th) while filling in for co-host,Kathie Lee Gifford. The couple have two other sons, Hampton, who's three and a half and one year old Colby.
- Turner is currently on tour to back his album, Haywire, which was released in February.
- His current single, "All Over Me," is the second release from Haywire. His first, "Why Don't We Just Dance," topped the charts earlier this year.
Darius Rucker is gearing up to release his new album, Charleston, SC 1966, in October. The set is already gaining momentum with thanks to the success of lead single, "Come Back Song."
- Turner started singing when he was only three years old, but he still always has stage fright.
- After saying he had vocal problems early in life, Turner said he developed his deep baritone when he was in his late teens or early 20s.
- His biggest influence are Randy Travis, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and John Anderson.
- When he's not playing music, Josh enjoys fishing, hunting, walking the dog and playing horseshoes.
Although Rucker is a fan of the latest track, he tells us it's not up to him which songs make it to radio: "I'm an album guy, honestly. When I'm trying to make an album, I love all the songs. And I'm not that guy who thinks I'm smart enough to sit here and tell you what's going to be ahead. I'm not so full of myself that I can get my songs and go, 'Hey yeah, this has got to be the first single.' This is not just me. I'm working with a whole bunch of people to make this a success. And so when it comes to singles, I want the record label -- they're the guys that have to go pound the pavement. I want them to be excited and happy about what the single is -- not something that I have to shove down their throat that they don't want to work."
Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert got engaged this past May after five years of dating. They seem to be enjoying the engagement phase and aren't in a rush to set a date -- or at least not ready to spill the details to us yet.
- Rucker recently did a one-off charity show with Hootie & the Blowfish.
- The upcoming album comes on the heels of 2008's Learn To Live.
- Rucker is currently on tour and has dates line up through the fall.
We recently caught up with Shelton, and asked how the wedding planning is coming along:"Well, we're planning to have a wedding. But we haven't gotten any place nailed down or a date or anything, you know. All that I really know for sure is that it's very important for Miranda to have the wedding in Texas. That's the only thing I can say with confidence. The rest of everything else is still kind of up in the air."
Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" and Alan Jackson's "Where I Come From" are in the running as two potential songs that will be used to wake up U.S. astronauts on their latest mission, the STS-133, in November. It's part of a NASA contest, which asks fans their favorites, eventually narrowing it down to two tracks out of 40. Also on the list are songs by the Beatles, Rolling Stones and others.
- Shelton popped the question in the woods near Lambert's home in Tishomingo, Oklahoma.
- Earlier this year, Lambert told People.com, "He called my dad and got his blessing first. That was so Southern and old-school and perfect."
- Lambert will release her first performance DVD, Revolution: Live By Candlelight, on October 12th.
- Shelton is currently on tour.
A special nine-pack of country songs will be available for Rock Band starting tomorrow (Tuesday, August 31st). According to CMT.com, it will include Keith Urban's "Days Go By," Reba McEntire's "Fancy,"Lady Antebellum's "Lookin' for a Good Time," Dierks Bentley's "What Was I Thinkin'," Eric Church's "Hell on the Heart," Jamey Johnson's "Women," Josh Turner's "Would You Go With Me," Laura Bell Bundy's "Rebound" and Sugarland's "It Happens." The songs will be available for Xbox 360, PlayStation and the Wii.