TONY CURTIS DEAD AT 85
Tony Curtis died on Wednesday at the age of 85. His daughter Jamie Lee Curtis told Entertainment Tonight that he suffered cardiac arrest in his Las Vegas home.
The star had been admitted to a Las Vegas hospital for tests in mid-July after he had trouble breathing. People magazine reported that Curtis also suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and nearly died when he contracted pneumonia in December 2006 and remained in a coma for several days.
Curtis appeared in more than 150 movies, had six wives, romances with starlets from Marilyn Monroe to Natalie Wood and six kids.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
Zac Brown Band's brand new album, You Get What You Give, debuted with the band's highest sales week ever, selling 153,042 copies its first week and earning the Number One spot on the Billboard 200 and Billboard Country Albums charts. Zac Brown Band also claims three spots in the top 100 on the Billboard 200, and three in the Top 20 on the BillboardCountry Albums charts.
- You Get What You Give was released on September 21st.
- The album's first single "As She's Walking Away," featuring Alan Jackson, sits at Number 11 and climbing on the Country Songs chart.
- You Get What You Give is the follow-up to the band's double-platinum major label debut The Foundation, which was one of Billboard's Top 20 albums of 2009. The CD features the Zac Brown Band's first five Number One hit singles, including "Chicken Fried" and "Free."
"Ronnie Dunn is self-producing a solo album expected to release in 2011 on the Arista Nashville label" -- this is the official word from Sony Music in Nashville. No further details on the project are being released.
- The Zac Brown Band is nominated for Entertainer; Vocal Group; Musical Event for "Can't You See" featuring Kid Rock; and New Artist of the Year at the CMA Awards on November 10th in Nashville.
- The Zac Brown Band have also scored a performance slot on the CMA's. They will be joined by Alan Jackson for a performance of their current single.
Keith Urban wants the fans' help in choosing the cover artwork for his upcoming CD, Get Closer. One is of Keith alone, while the other is Keith in the arms of a woman, likely Nicole Kidman, who is standing behind him. To view the pics and place your vote, click here: http://www.facebook.com/keithurbanOne hundred tickets to Rascal Flatts' private fundraising concert for Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt will be made available to the public on a first-come, first-serve basis. The event will take place in Nashville on November 4th at a secluded location. The trio have been hosting these intimate concerts for four years now as an additional fundraiser in conjunction with the shows they've held at Bridgestone Arena for the hospital. This year the "Behind The Music" event will also feature emcee Ron White. Fans may go to rascalflatts.com beginning tomorrow (Friday, October 1st) to purchase tickets.
- Attendees will enjoy music, food and the opportunity to bid on auction items only available at the event. Some of this year's items include a personalized studio experience with Jay DeMarcus; a golf outing with Joe Don Rooney for three players on a world class course; and a hunting trip withGary LeVox and Outdoor Channel Crush TV hosts Lee & Tiffany Lakosky.
- Rascal Flatts have raised nearly three million dollars for the hospital in the past several years.
The first round of peformers for the upcoming CMA Awards includes Dierks Bentley, Kenny Chesney, Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton, and the Zac Brown Band with Alan Jackson. The 44th annual CMA Awards will air live from Nashville's Bridgestone Arena on November 10th on ABC. The show will be hosted by Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood.
- This private show in Nashville will be the group's last for the year.
- Rascal Flatts play in Phoenix tonight.
- Dierks is nominated in three categories this year, including Male Vocalist, Album for Up On The Ridge, and Musical Event of the Year for "Bad Angel," featuring Miranda Lambert and Jamey Johnson.
- Kenny is nominated for Musical Event of the Year for his performance of "I'm Alive" with Dave Matthews.
- Lady Antebellum, the reigning Vocal Group of the Year, is nominated in five categories this year, including Entertainer; Album for Need You Now; Vocal Group; Single for "Need You Now"; and Music Video of the Year for "Need You Now," which was directed by David McClister. Group members Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, and Hillary Scott each received individual nominations for Song of the Year for "Need You Now," which they penned with songwriter Josh Kear. The group could receive two additional trophies as producers if they win Single and Album of the Year, which they co-produced with Paul Worley.
- Miranda is the top nominee for 2010 with nine nominations, which is the most nominations of any female artist in CMA Awards history. She received nominations for Entertainer; Female Vocalist; Album for Revolution, two for Single -- "The House That Built Me" and "White Liar;" Song for "White Liar," which she wrote with Natalie Hemby; Musical Event for "Bad Angel" with Dierks Bentley and Jamey Johnson; and two for Music Video of the Year for "The House That Built Me," directed byTrey Fanjoy, and "White Liar," directed by Chris Hicky.
- Blake is nominated in four categories, including Male Vocalist; Single; Musical Event; and Music Video for "Hillbilly Bone," which featured Trace Adkins and was directed by Roman White.
- Zac Brown Band is nominated for Entertainer; Vocal Group; Musical Event for "Can't You See" featuring Kid Rock; and New Artist of the Year.
- Tickets for the 2010 CMA Awards are on sale and can be purchased by logging on to ticketmaster.com.
Toby Keith's upcoming Bullets In The Gun CD will feature 10 songs, the last of which is one of the singer's famous "bus songs." In keeping with the tradition of other bus songs with titles like "Weed With Willie," Toby's latest is called "Get Outta My Car." Toby said, "If you look back through my albums, you'll see what I want out of the No. 10 cut. Last album it was 'Ballad Of Balad,' which is the biggest song I ever wrote overseas. That thing goes over like hotcakes over there. But that's the idea. If people are still listening, they get a little extra shot of fun."
- Dierks won the Horizon Award in 2005. He also received the 2008 CMA International Artist Achievement Award.
- Kenny has won a total of seven CMA Awards. With four trophies to his credit (2004, 2006-2008), he is tied with Garth Brooks (1991, 1992, 1997, 1998) for the most wins in the Entertainer of the Year category.
- Lady Antebellum has a career total of three CMA Awards.
The Deluxe Edition of Bullets In The Gun also features four live songs recorded during one of Toby's "Incognito Bandito" shows in Manhattan earlier this summer. He tells us about this covert gig. "I've got a side project called Incognito Banditos. It's session guys that play on all my albums, and I heard one of them say he works sometimes with Delbert McClinton, I heard another one say he goes out with maybe Mark Knopfler, you know different guys that these guys go play with when they're not in the studio. They're the greatest players in the world, session players, and I said, 'Man, do you guys ever get like I get where you just wanna go in a bar and do cover songs?' And they go, 'All the time!' I said, 'Why don't we do that?'"
Toby says the two requirements for the Incognito Bandito shows is that everyone play country blues, and only songs that you wouldn't normally hear played by a bar band. He says the experience is more fun for the players than the audience."You hear this fantastic roadhouse band up there playin', and we don't advertise -- just Internet and word of mouth'll fill the room -- and we just make what we get, but it's more for us than it is for the people listenin'. I mean, I know they get a kick out of it, but it's the funnest thing I've done in my whole career. It's absolutely a breath of fresh air, and we really step on it and it's spit-in-the-floor blues."
Uncle Kracker will headline his first-ever country music club outing beginning November 3rd in Athens, Georgia. The It's Good To Be Me tour will continue through mid-December featuring singer Frankie Ballard, and fellow Detroit native Ty Stone as openers. Kracker has been out behind Happy Hour -- The South River Road Sessions, which features six new country versions of songs off of the singer's 2009 Happy Hour album.
- The cuts included on the Deluxe Edition of Bullets In The Gun are covers of Johnny Paycheck's "11 Months And 29 Days," Waylon Jennings' "I've Been A Long Time Leaving (But I'll Be A Long Time Gone)," Roger Miller's "Chug-A-Lug," and Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown."
- Bullets In The Gun will be in stores on Tuesday (October 5th).
- Toby performs in Thackerville, Oklahoma at the Winstar Casino on October 15th.
Uncle Kracker isn't a stranger to country music. He's been opening for various country acts, includingKenny Chesney, over the years. In the past we asked him if he felt as though the country connection had changed him: "I don't feel any different. I'm kinda the same cat, I guess. I'm a lot funner than most of my songs let off to be. I don't think it's any different. There's definitely more of a country interest since the Kenny thing. I've always loved the country thing, but I don't there's anything that's changed."
Wynonna and Naomi Judd will be this year's special guests on the Santa Train on November 20th. The train will make 14 stops in the mountains of Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee, where The Judds, along with Santa Claus, will deliver 15 tons of toys -- more than $300,000 worth -- to thousands of residents who live along the route. This year will commemorate the 68th anniversary of the Santa Train.
- Uncle Kracker's latest single, "Good To Be Me" features guest vocals by Kid Rock.
- Uncle Kracker says, "I've always had a genuine passion for country. I think that audiences appreciate that, and that's why they're giving me a chance. Country music was one of the types of music I grew up with, so elements of it naturally come out in my songwriting. Listening to a lot of my songs -- all the way back to 'Follow Me' -- I feel like I've been making country music for years."
- Uncle Kracker tour dates (subject to change):
November 3 - Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club
November 4 - Augusta, GA - Country Club Saloon
November 5 - Tallahassee, FL - The Moon
November 6 - Duluth, GA - Wild Bill's
November 11 - Davie, FL - Round-Up
November 12 - Tampa, FL - Dallas Bull
November 15 - Baton Rouge, LA - Texas Club
November 17 - San Antonio, TX - Blue Bonnet Palace
November 18 - Winnie, TX - Nutty Jerry's
November 19 - Ft. Worth, TX - Billy Bob's
November 20 - Houston, TX - Mo's
November 21 - Corpus Christi, TX - Brewster St.
December 1 - Mesa, AZ - Toby Keith's
December 3 - Denver, CO - Grizzly Rose
December 4 - Cheyenne, WY - Outlaw Saloon
December 9 - Minneapolis, MN - Toby Keith's
December 10 - Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall
December 12 - Wabash, IN - Honeywell Center
- Naomi rode the Santa Train in 2005, while Wynonna did the honors in 2009.
- Wynonna said, "Sharing the joy of the holiday season with children who are growing up in a place so close to my heart is something that I am so honored and humbled to have the opportunity to do. Participating in the Santa Train with my mother makes it even more special to me."
- The Judds will kick off their The Last Encore tour the day after Thanksgiving. Their farewell concert series will feature new music, including their first single in 10 years, "I Will Stand By You," while also mixing in 25 years of duets and Wynonna solo hits for their fans.
- The mother-daughter duo has not toured together since their 2000 Power to Change tour.
Coldplay frontman Chris Martin has penned a song called "Me And Tennessee" for his wife, actress Gwyneth Paltrow, to sing in her upcoming movie Country Strong. Paltrow toldPeople.com that the song is about the "complications of love," explaining, "'Me and Tennessee' is a special song that perfectly fits the movie. It's about a couple who are maybe irreparably damaged. But then the chorus is, 'Then that old song comes on, together we're singing, forever we're singing, that old country song.' So it's about country music bringing people back together when they're having a difficult time in life."
- Alison Krauss, Patty Loveless, Kathy Mattea and Travis Tritt are a few of the past celebrity guests who have participated in the Santa Train.
- Paltrow plays a country singer looking to revive her career with the help of a new songwriter, played by Garrett Hedlund of the upcoming Tron: Legacy. Real-life country star Tim McGraw plays her husband.
- The Oscar-winning actress learned how to play guitar, took singing lessons and almost bares all for the movie, which comes out in December.
- Tabloid rumors continue to suggest that Paltrow and Martin's marriage is on the rocks. The couple have two children.
- Martin and the rest of Coldplay are still working on their fifth studio album, which is slated to arrive sometime in 2011.
Q. What was the name of the band that Troy Gentry, Eddie Montgomery and John Michael Montgomery played in together before John Michael's solo career?
A. Early Tymz
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY
CMT CROSSROADS/CMT 1:00PM (ET)
Alison Krauss, Robert Plant
MY MUSIC MIX: LADY ANTEBELLUM/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
Marty Stuart (52)
- Eddie Montgomery (Montgomery Gentry) (47)
- Deborah Allen (57)
- Johnny Mathis (singer, "Misty" and "Chances Are") (75)
- Marilyn McCoo (singer, The Fifth Dimension, married to Billy Davis Jr) (67)
- Angie Dickinson (actress, Police Woman's Sgt. Suzanne "Pepper" Anderson) (79)
- Fran Drescher (actress, The Nanny) (53)
- Jenna Elfman (actress, Dharma & Greg ) (39)
- Martina Hingis (Pro tennis player) (30)
- Marilyn McCoo (singer, The Fifth Dimension, married to Billy Davis Jr) (67)
- Barry Williams (actor, The Brady Bunch's Greg) (56)
- Monica Bellucci (actress, The Matrix Reloaded, The Passion Of The Christ) (46)
- Vondie Curtis-Hall (actor, Chicago Hope) (54)
- Basia (singer) (56)
- Patrice Rushen (jazz/R&B singer, composer, and pianist) (56)
- Robby Takac (bassist, Goo Goo Dolls) (46)
- Eric Stoltz (actor, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Mask, Pulp Fiction, Chicago Hope) (49)
- Cissy Houston (member of Sweet Inspirations and mother of Whitney Houston, aunt of Dionne Warwick) (77)
- Trey Anastasio (singer-guitarist, Phish) (46)
- Lacey Chabert (TV actress, Party Of Five, Daddy Daycare) (28)
- Debrah Farentino (actress, NYPD Blue, Eureka) (51)
- Marion Cotillard (actress, La Vie En Rose, Public Enemies, Big Fish) (35)
- Kieran Culkin (actor, Father of the Bride Parts I & II, Igby Goes Down, brother of Macaulay Culkin) (28)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
George Strait topped the Billboard chart with "Give It Away" in 2006.
- Billy Currington's self-titled debut album was released in 2003.
- Frances Preston and George Jones were elected to the Country Music Hall Of Fame in 1992.
- The Judds climbed to Number One on the Billboard country chart with "Let Me Tell You About Love" in 1989.
- Earl Thomas Conley's Greatest Hits album was released in 1985.
BRIDGET MOYNAHAN DATING MCG: Bridget Moynahan is reportedly dating director McG. A source told Life & Style magazine, "Bridget and McG have been dating for a few months. She's filming the show Blue Bloods in NYC, and he's based in LA, but they fly back and forth. They're very happy." Moynahan has a three-year-old son with Tom Brady, who began dating wife Gisele Bundchen while Bridget was pregnant.
SETH ROGEN IS ENGAGED: Seth Rogen is getting married. Life & Style magazine reported that the funnyman proposed to his longtime girlfriend Lauren Miller last week. The couple, both, 28, have been dating since 2004. A source told the magazine, "He surprised her with the proposal. She'd started giving up hope that he would ever pop the question."
DID 'COUGAR TOWN' STAR REJECT JENNIFER ANISTON? Jennifer Aniston and Cougar Townactor Josh Hopkins reportedly were dating earlier this year -- but he ended things. A source toldUsmagazine.com that Aniston "wanted a relationship. And he was like, 'No, thank you.'" The insider added that Hopkins is "a player and is into meeting younger girls," noting that he and Aniston were merely friends with benefits.
BRADLEY AND RENEE TALK ABOUT THEIR LOVE: Bradley Cooper and Renee Zellweger are opening up -- a little -- about their romantic life together. The couple, who were strangers before filmingCase 39, raved about one another to Entertainment Tonight. Cooper gushed, "Can't say enough about he. I never met her before this movie, but I just love her. I love coming to work. I love acting with her. I can learn so much from her." Renee added, "He's a great actor! I just got so excited, not believing that I was going to go work with him."
TARANTINO ROAST POSTPONED: The Friars Club postponed Friday's roast of Quentin Tarantinoafter the death of his longtime film editor Sally Menke. The roast, which will feature Harvey Weinstein, Uma Thurman, Rosario Dawson, Sarah Silverman, Kathy Griffin, Harvey Keitel, Pam Grier, Michael Madsen and Samuel L. Jackson, will happen next month instead. Menke, 56, died hiking in LA on Monday, when the temperature hit 113 degrees.
OKSANA APPEARING ON OPRAH? Oprah's going to get to the bottom of it! Mel Gibson's ex-girlfriendOksana Grigorieva will reportedly appear on The Oprah Winfrey Show to discuss her tumultuous relationship with the actor. Although Winfrey's production company has yet to confirm the interview,Usmagazine.com reports that Oprah had been battling 60 Minutes for the sit-down, and won.
'LONE STAR' CANCELED: Jon Voight's new Fox show Lone Star has been canceled after just two episodes. The program, which follows a man's secret double life, debuted earlier this month to disappointing viewing figures. Despite a plea from the show's creator for viewers to tune in for episode two, the ratings were lower than the premiere and Fox axed the series.
BETTY WHITE HONORING TINA FEY: Betty White will join a slew of SNL stars as they award Tina Fey the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor on November 9th. Fred Armisen, Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers and show creator Lorne Michaels will all be on hand for the award presentation, which will be broadcast on PBS on November 14th.
3 STARS QUIT 'DEADLIEST CATCH': There's a mass exodus from Discovery's The Deadliest Catch.Captains Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand left the show after Discovery sued them for $3 million, and nowCaptain Sig Hansen has quit in solidarity. He said, "I want people to know the captains stand together, and me and my brothers support them 100 percent." The Hillstrands were sued due to their alleged lack of participation in a planned spin-off special. They said in a statement, "We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in 'Deadliest Catch. It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive 'Catch' fans we have met over the years."
RACHEL ZOE AND ASSISTANT PART WAYS: Rachel Zoe and her assistant Brad Goreski have parted ways -- amicably. Brad, who is featured on Bravo's The Rachel Zoe Project, told Peoplemagazine, "I love Rachel and she's taught me everything I know. But there's a point where either I do it now or I'll never know what it's like to spread my wings and soar." Rachel added, "He did this with such class and elegance. And I get it. I just told him, 'I'm here for you always.'"
JOSH HOLLOWAY JOINS 'M:I4' Lost star Josh Holloway is joining Mission: Impossible 4. The Hollywood Reporter announced that he'll play a member of the Impossible Mission Force -- the secret agent task force headed by Tom Cruise. The cast also includes newcomers Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton and Vladimir Mashkov, and veterans Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg.
JARED HARRIS JOINS 'SHERLOCK HOLMES': Mad Men star Jared Harris -- who plays Lane -- has landed the coveted role of villainous Professor Moriarty in the Sherlock Holmes sequel. The follow-up stars Robert Downey, Jr., Jude Law, Stephen Fry and Noomi Rapace.
GREG GIRALDO DEAD AT 44
Comedian Greg Giraldo died on Wednesday at the age of 44. His death comes five days after he was hospitalized for an overdose.
A source close to Greg told TMZ.com, "Greg passed away today at the hospital in New Brunswick as a result of an accidental overdose. His family was by his side."
- Giraldo had been hospitalized in New Brunswick, NJ after he overdosed on prescription pills last weekend, however a source said at the time that the overdose was not a suicide attempt.
- He is best known for his celebrity roast appearances and for being a judge on Last Comic Standing.
'GLEE'S' BRITNEY EPISODE SCORES BEST-EVER RATINGS
The hype surround Tuesday's Britney Spears-themed Glee episode paid off: the show attracted its best ratings ever with 13.3 million people tuning in.
Ratings were up four percent from its season premiere and the episode out-performed even its famous Lady Gaga and Madonna shows. Fox noted, "This is the first time in 17 years that the highest-rated entertainment program of premiere week grew in Week 2 among adults 18-49 and total viewers (since Fall '93, 'Seinfeld')."
- The episode got mixed reviews, with some people claiming the dream sequences were a cop-out way to showcase the Britney material. Heather Morris, however, was widely praised for her turn in the spotlight, performing "Slave 4 U" and "Me Against the Music."
TIMES SQUARE BOMBER PLANNED SECOND ATTACK: Prosecutors said yesterday (September 29th) that Faisal Shahzad, the 30-year-old Pakistani native who planted a car bomb in Times Square, planned to detonate a second bomb two weeks after the first one. They also quoted him in their filing to the sentencing judge as saying in a video that he'd hoped, quote, "to join my brothers in jihad" ever since the 9/11 attacks. The government said that Shahzad showed no remorse when he pled guilty after confessing, and instead spoke with pride about the plot. Shahzad was arrested two days after his May 1st bomb attempt in Times Square failed when the explosives-packed SUV he'd left there failed to detonate.
HOUSE PASSES BILL TO HELP SICK 9/11 CLEANUP WORKERS: The House passed a bill Wednesday (September 29th) to give up to $7.4 billion to workers in free health care and compensation who were sickened as a result of their cleanup work at the World Trade Center site after the 9/11 attacks. Similar legislation is pending in the Senate, but prospects for passage are unclear. Republican critics called the bill a big-government program that would increase taxes and kill jobs. The bill, which failed to pass the House in July over procedural and political disputes, will be paid for by having multinational companies incorporated in tax havens to pay taxes on income earned in the U.S.
CALIFORNIA GOP GOV. CANDIDATE DENIES KNOWING HOUSEKEEPER WAS IN U.S. ILLEGALLY: Republican California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman is denying that she knew the housekeeper who worked for her for nine years was an illegal immigrant from Mexico. The housekeeper, Nicky Diaz Santillan, and her attorney, headline-grabbing Gloria Allred, claimed yesterday (September 29th) that Whitman had been alerted by the federal government in 2003 that Santillan's Social Security number didn't match the name on file. However, Whitman, who has called for tougher sanctions against employers who hire illegal workers, denied that, and Allred didn't provide any documentation of the claim. Whitman says she learned Santillan was in the country illegally only last year, when the woman told her, after which Whitman fired her.
CARTER SPENDS SECOND NIGHT IN HOSPITAL WITH LIKELY VIRUS: Former President Jimmy Carter spent a second night at a Cleveland hospital last night (September 29th) with medical staff saying a virus likely caused the stomach pain that sent him to the hospital after he became ill on a flight from Atlanta Tuesday. The MetroHealth Medical Center said that the 85-year-old Carter was recovering and the viral infection was clearing up. Carter has been on a book tour for his new book, White House Diary.
WOMAN PLEADS NOT GUILTY IN ACID ATTACK HOAX: A 28-year-old Washington state woman who put acid on her face and then claimed to police that she'd been attacked by an African-American woman appeared in court Wednesday (September 29th), with her face still red and splotchy, and was ordered by a judge to live in a mental health facility while she awaits trial. Bethany Storro has confessed to the hoax, saying she made up the story after she put drain cleaner on her face trying to kill herself or change her appearance. She pleaded not guilty yesterday to three theft counts related to nearly $28,000 in donations that came in to help her with medical bills. Records show Storro spent about $1,500 of the donations on things like dinners for her parents, clothes and a bill for a laser facial peel she had before the hoax. The accounts containing the donations have been frozen and her parents have said the money will be returned.
SCIENTISTS DISCOVER 'GOLDILOCKS' PLANET: Astronomers have for the first time discovered a planet in what's sometimes called the "Goldilocks zone" for life, meaning it's not too hot and not too cold, not too far from its star and not too close, and neither too big nor too small for the proper surface, gravity and atmosphere. That makes the planet similar to Earth with the right conditions for liquid water and life. The planet, which circles a star called Gliese 581, is about three times the mass of Earth and much closer to its star, so that it orbits only every 37 days. Further, it doesn't rotate much, so one side is almost always bright, the other dark. Called Gliese 581g, it's located about 120 trillion miles away, which although far enough that it would take several generations for a spaceship to get there, it's right next door in cosmic terms.
SUICIDE RATES MAY BE GREATER AT HIGHER ALTITUDES: A new study found that suicide rates may be greater at higher altitudes. Researcher Dr. Perry Renshaw of the University of Utah told Reuters he was struck by the much higher suicide rates in the Rocky Mountain region and set out to investigate. He found that at around 2,000 meters above sea level, about the altitude of Colorado, Wyoming and Utah, suicide rates are about 70 percent higher than at seal level. After adjusting for gun ownership and low population density in these areas, which are both also significant predictors of suicide, they found that altitude still strongly influenced suicide rates. Renshaw theorizes that the stress associated with less oxygen in the air at higher elevations might negatively affect some people with pre-existing mood disorders.
NEW VEGAS HOTEL PRODUCES 'DEATH RAY': Some guests at the new Vdara hotel in Las Vegas have reported being burned by what's being called the building's "death ray," the glare from the glass-sided hotel. Britain's Daily Mail newspaper reports that the desert sunlight reflecting off the glass walls onto sections of the hotel's swimming pool area have burned some guests and have melted plastic bags. The glare is concentrated by the Vdara's concave design, which creates a sort of magnifying-glass effect. The hotel's designers reportedly anticipated there could be a problem, so they placed a film over the glass panes of its many windows, but it seems it didn't work. While the designers try to come up with another solution, the hotel is putting up larger umbrellas in the pool area.
TOUR DE FRANCE WINNER CONTADOR TESTS POSITIVE FOR STIMULANT: Three-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador of Spain tested positive for a banned stimulant while winning this year's race and has been suspended by cycling's governing body, which said a very small concentration of clenbuterol was found. The statement gave no indication of whether Contador will be stripped of his latest Tour title or be banned. Contador's publicist released a statement denying any doping, saying the cyclist is insisting that food contamination is the only possible explanation. While not a steroid, clenbuterol has anabolic properties that build muscle while burning fat. It also can increase the heart rate and body temperature.
(Headline News, FYI and Sports stories were compiled in part from reports by the Associated Press and Reuters.)
ON THE TUBE TOAY....
- THE BIG BANG THEORY - Realizing he will not live long enough to download his consciousness into a robot body, Sheldon tries to extend his life plan.
- $...! MY DAD SAYS - Ed refuses to allow a wireless Internet connection to be installed in the house.
- CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION - The team investigates when a woman is attacked by a shark in the pool at a Las Vegas casino.
- THE MENTALIST - When Jane's shady brother-in-law (Kevin Rankin) comes to town and becomes a suspect in a murder investigation, Jane is forced to help him.
- COMMUNITY - Jeff falls into old habits after reconnecting with Alan (Rob Coddry).
- 30 ROCK - Liz uses her newfound confidence to solve Pete's problem with a difficult editor (Paul Giamatti); Tracy vows to be present when his wife gives birth.
- THE OFFICE - Corporate forces Michael into counseling with Toby; Dwight seeks revenge after a shop owner snubs him.
- OUTSOURCED - Employee evaluations cause the staff to worry about job security; Todd is told to fire an employee.
- THE APPRENTICE - The teams must run all aspects of a canine care and spa; another candidate is fired.
- BONES - The remains of a couple are found in a cave; Brennan re-evaluates her relationship with Booth when his girlfriend makes a surprise visit.
- FRINGE - The team investigates when people are discovered in a trancelike state that leads to death.
- MY GENERATION - Steven finds his footing as a father; Rolly, in Afganistan, missing some big moments in Dawn's pregnancy.
- GREY'S ANATOMY - Meredith finally tells Derek about her pregnancy and miscarriage; Cristina experiences PTSD.
- PRIVATE PRACTICE - Violet and Cooper make changes to their friendship to appease their significant others; Addison debates going public with her new romance.
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES - Katherina reveals new secrets; Damon tries to resolve his issues with Mason.
- NIKITA - Michael helps Nikita during a mission; Alex has a panic attack during basic training.
- THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF D.C. - TBA
- IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA - The gang attempts to find adventure on the sea after purchasing a boat.
- THE LEAGUE - Andre brings in a new partner to expand his practice; Ruxin uses a sick kid to meet NFL star Josh Cribbs.
- PROJECT RUNWAY - The designers take a trip down memory lane when they are asked to create their own fabric and a garment to correspond to a momorable time in their lives.
DAY TIME TALK SHOW
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW - Taye Diggs, Pete Yorn
THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW - Aging beauty Cybill Shepherd, Linda Evans and Teri Hatcher
THE VIEW - Suze Orman, the latest Dancing with the Stars castoff
LATE NIGHT TALK SHOWS
THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN (CBS) - Tom Selleck, Janet Elder, Tired Pony
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO (NBC) - Morgan Freeman, Eric Stonestreet, Rodrigo y Gabriela
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE (ABC) - Vanessa Williams, David Cross, the Avett Brothers
THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG FERGUSON (CBS) - Edward Norton, Odette Yustman
LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON (NBC) - Bryan Cranston, Jesse Eisenberg, Joshua Topolsky, the Vaselines
LAST CALL WITH CARSON DALY (NBC) - Adrian Grenier, Kevin Smith, Tift Merritt, Japandroids
THE DAILY SHOW WITH JON STEWART (COMEDY CENTRAL) - Justin Timberlake
THE COLBERT REPORT (COMEDY CENTRAL) - Aaron Sorkin
LOPEZ TONIGHT - Tom Bergeron, Seal
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
The Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville was open for business for the first time in five months last night (Tuesday, September 28th), and it boasted a stellar lineup of talent and a full house. Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Montgomery Gentry, Martina McBride, Trace Adkins, Blake Shelton, Dierks Bentley, Jason Aldean, the Charlie Daniels Band, Little Jimmy Dickens, Josh Turner, Del McCoury, and Mel Tillisall took the stage for what many viewed as the "re-birth" of the Opry house.
After the floods in early May, the Opry stage was under 46 inches of water. Since then, a construction team has worked tirelessly to get the historic venue up and running again.
Before taking the stage last night, Keith Urban told reporters that he was more than impressed with the incredible renovations done to the Opry house. "I'm grateful that I could be a part of this tonight. It's an extraordinary night for all of us, really, not just for the Opry but for all of us performing tonight, too, and (I) really wanna give my thanks to the people that did an amazing job building this back up again. It's extraordinary! I had a look backstage and it's absolutely amazing what they've been able to do, and I think what these people have done with it is absolutely nothing short of a miracle, and I think my guitars, Brad's guitars and so many other peoples' guitars have experienced the same sort of baptismal rebirth that I'd like to think the Opry has experienced as well and the spirit's come back stronger than ever."
Martina McBride added that the evening would definitely earn a page in the country music history books."The Grand Ole Opry to me is part of the heart and soul of country music, and it's something that we as artists all dream of being a part of, and I can say that I am amazed at what they've done with this building. It's truly touching, and I'm just really proud to be a part of this historic night."
The night proved to be even more historic for Blake Shelton, who was asked to become a member of the Opry cast. Trace Adkins surprised him with the offer via a text to his cell phone from the Opry. A shocked Blake took several seconds to find the words to respond, while the audience, which included fianceeMiranda Lambert, gave him a standing ovation. Blake said, "This right here is hands down the highlight of my career."
We recently spoke with Blake about the Opry and what membership would mean to him. "It would mean everything to me because I hold it pretty high and it's not something I would take lightly. And it would be a bigger responsibility to me than just performing four or five times a year, it would be. . . That's when somebody hands the torch to you and says, 'Now we're all gonna follow your lead,' you know?'"
- Blake will officially be inducted into the Grand Ole Opry on October 23rd.
Alan Jackson will head Down Under next year for the first time to play a handful of dates beginning on March 4th in Melbourne. Other stops on the four-date Australian trek are in Sydney on March 7th; and Brisbane on March 10th and 11th. Alan will be joined on the tour byMiranda Lambert and Jasmine Rae.
- He will celebrate the 20-year anniversary of his debut album this year with the release of 34 Number Ones, a career-spanning, double-disc collection that will be released on November 23rd. The project includes 37 songs in all -- all 34 of Alan's Number One hits, along with two rare tracks and the new single, "As She's Walking Away," the current Zac Brown Band hit featuring Alan.
- Alan will hit the road this fall with special guests Chris Young and The Band Perry. The trek begins on November 4th at Arco Arena in Sacramento, and makes its way through California, Nevada, Texas, Louisiana and the Carolinas before wrapping up at the US Bank Arena in Cincinnati on November 20th.
Following on the heels of three consecutive Number One hits from their double platinum Need You Nowalbum, Lady Antebellum is set to release a ballad called "Hello World." The song heads to radio on October 4th, with Charles Kelley singing lead vocals.
- Alan has charted 50 singles throughout his career, 25 of which have claimed the Number One spot.
- His 16th studio album, Freight Train, was released in March.
- He said, "When I first heard this song, it floored me. It's about opening your eyes to the beauty of the world and wanting to get back to the simplicity of life. . . away from the rat race."
- Hillary Scott added, "I've seen it reduce grown men to tears. Charles delivers such an amazing vocal performance on this one. It still gives me chills every time we perform it live."
CHECK IT OUT
The original motion picture soundtrack to the feature film, Country Strong, is set to release on October 26th and it features a star-studded lineup of artists. In addition to the movie's star, Gwyneth Paltrow, other celebs who contributed to the CD include her co-stars Tim McGraw, Garrett Hedlund and Leighton Meester, along with Trace Adkins, Ronnie Dunn, Sara Evans, Faith Hill, Patty Loveless, Hank Williams, Jr., Lee Ann Womack, and Chris Young.
- Lady Antebellum is nominated for five 2010 CMA Awards, including Entertainer of the Year, Vocal Group of the Year, Album of the Year for Need You Now, and Single and Video of the Year for "Need You Now."
- Charles, Hillary and Dave Haywood each earned an additional nomination individually in the Song of the Year category as songwriters for "Need You Now."
- The CMA Awards will air live from Nashville on November 10th on ABC.
- Gwyneth and Tim duet on a song called "Me and Tennessee," which was written by the Oscar-winning actress' husband, Chris Martin.
- The digital single for Gwyneth's "Country Strong" single is now available for download. It features background vocals by Vince Gill and Patty Griffin.
- The Country Strong motion picture will be released in theatres in Los Angeles and Nashville on December 22nd and nationwide on January 7th.
- Here is the complete track listing:
Gwyneth Paltrow - "Country Strong"
Chris Young & Patty Loveless - "Love Don't Let Me Down"
Sara Evans - "A Little Bit Stronger"
Garrett Hedlund - "Chances Are"
Lee Ann Womack - "Liars Lie"
Ronnie Dunn - "She's Actin' Single (I'm Drinkin' Double)"
Gwyneth Paltrow - "Shake That Thing"
Hank Williams, Jr. - "Thirsty"
Faith Hill - "Give in to Me"
Trace Adkins - "Timing Is Everything"
Leighton Meester - "Words I Couldn't Say"
Gwyneth Paltrow - "Coming Home"
Tim McGraw and Gwyneth Paltrow - "Me and Tennessee"
Martina McBride will join the Nashville Symphony to headline its annual "Home for the Holidays" concert on Friday, December 10th at 8 p.m. Due to ongoing repairs at the city's Schermerhorn Symphony Center, the concert will be held at Lipscomb University's Allen Arena. Martina will perform a mix of holiday standards along with new seasonal favorites.
- Country Strong was filmed earlier this year in Nashville.
- Gwyneth and Tim play husband and wife in the movie, which centers around a substance-addicted, has-been country singer who is trying to make a comeback.
Taylor Swift attended the Roberto Cavalli fashion show in Milan, Italy on Monday (September 27th). Click here for pics: http://tinyurl.com/22kcalu
- She said, "The Nashville Symphony is one of the reasons we proudly call Nashville 'Music City U.S.A.,' and I can't think of a better way to ring in the holiday season than by performing with this talented ensemble of musicians."
- This will be Martina's first appearance with the Symphony since 1998. She was presented with the Harmony Award at the orchestra's Symphony Ball fundraiser. The honor is given each year to a musician who exemplifies the harmonious spirit of Nashville's music community.
More details on Jamey Johnson's new video have been released. The "Playing The Part" clip, which was directed by Matthew McConaughey, was filmed last week near the intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Highland in Los Angeles. This was the first music video that Matthew has ever directed. He also makes a cameo in the clip.Oak Ridge Boy Joe Bonsall already has eight published books to his credit, the latest of which was released this month called From My Perspective. The book is a collection of commentaries and stories about life, music, faith, and America.
In From My Perspective, Joe shares moments with celebrity friends, like the late Johnny Cash andDottie Rambo; relates stories from 35 years on the road with The Oak Ridge Boys; and draws on his own life experiences, from working the political trail to walking through wooded trails on his 400-acre farm near the Tennessee-Kentucky border.
- Joe said, "It's not an autobiography, but you can learn an awful lot about Joe Bonsall in this book. I joined the Oaks at age 25, and just turned 62, so how could there NOT be some Oak Ridge Boys' perspective?"
- The Oak Ridge Boys continue to tour, with four scheduled shows in Minot, North Dakota beginning tonight (Wednesday, September 29th) and running through Saturday (October 2nd).
- The Oak Ridge Boys have been together for three decades.
- They still perform more than 150 shows each year.
Q. In what famous prison did Merle Haggard serve a three-year sentence for attempted robbery?
A. San Quentin
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY
COUNTRY COMES HOME: AN OPRY LIVE CELEBRATION/GAC 10:00AM, 4:00PM (ET)
Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Jason Aldean, Martina McBride, Trace Adkins, Josh Turner, Blake Shelton
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW/SYN (check local listings)
Zac Brown Band
DIERKS BENTLEY: UP ON THE RIDGE/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG FERGUSON/CBS 12:35AM (ET)