Win tix to see Alan Jackson!
Today noon to 2pm and win tix to see Alan Jackson! Drop by The Motor Company on The Parkway in Bullhead City! Free tickets now though Nov. 5th just for taking a test drive! 2565 Laughlin View Drive Bullhead City, AZ 86429 928-754-3400 ALAN JACKSON TIX MAN!!! Bring the Kids, dogs and cats...there will be a Human Pinnate full of candy and a costume contest for the kids.
Tonight I will be judging the Costume Contest at the Avi! Can you say PARTY?? Contents starts at 8pm! $500 up for grabs for Scariest, Most Original and Most Funny Costume. It is going to be a great weekend...hope you will join me! Happy Halloween!
WHAT HER HALLOWEEN COSTUME SAYS ABOUT HER (AskMen.com)
The Halloween slut: Any Y-chromosome-bearing individual shouldn't need help spotting the Halloween slut, but on the off chance some of you don't get out much, just look for a short skirt and thigh-high stockings. Don't even contemplate the potential for something meaningful with this one; however, if your intention is just a one-nighter, she's the perfect gal for you. Odds are, she's looking for the same thing. The odds are so good, in fact, you might not even need to buy her breakfast come November 1.
The Disney character: To fit in this category, this princess must be the nonslutty variety -- a Disney character. This girl is sure to be sweet, but possibly a little shy. Don't count on her making the first move, even if you are doing your best imitation of a firefighter calendar cover. You'll do better if you attempt to sweep her off her feet. After all, she may be looking for her happily ever after and you could be her Prince Charming.
The zombie: Any woman in a gory costume is qualified to fit into this category. Don't overlook her. This girl has real potential. She's clearly confident and fun (she went ahead and uglied herself up for the party, all in the name of getting in to the spirit of things). Don't automatically assume she's a tomboy either. If she did all that and still looks pretty damn good, then you can bet she looks smokin' in her everyday clothing.
The group match: This girl is easy to spot because you'll swear you saw her before. You did, sort of. You'll see about 10 of her wearing the same costume. Girls dressed alike are going to be insecure (she wasn't brave enough to flaunt something on her own) and consequently very friend-dependent. Once you go for one of the girls in this group, you're pretty much sworn off to the rest of them (they will stick together). Choose wisely. And, once you choose, be ready, because you'll have to pass approval from her posse first. This girl could be a one-night stand or relationship material (she's unpredictable, it could go either way, but she'll need direction from her gal pals before you get very far). All this adds up to one thing -- she might be way more trouble than she's worth.
The couple match: She's taken. Move on. Feel free to throw a look of pity in the direction of the poor whipped guy she roped into donning whatever ridiculous costume matches hers.
The clever costume: If you find yourself chuckling when you see her costume, she's definitely in this category. Witty banter will abound with this one, but know there might be a degree of smugness and arrogance behind her clever retorts (and costume). Putting that much effort into a Halloween costume comes with a certain degree of obsessiveness. She has all the makings of a control freak. Proceed with caution.
BAD COSTUME IDEAS (AskMen.com)
Ghost: Not only is the ghost costume the most unoriginal you can sport, it's also the most uninteresting and least functional. Not only can that big white sheet become a tangled mess, leaving you constantly rearranging and being finicky with the "costume" all night. And let's not forget to mention the problem this outfit poses with vision (exactly how do you get those cut-out holes to stay in the same place as your eyes all night?) and your ability to communicate (who can hear you through that thing?). And finally, the whole getup in general is just really not that scary.
Dated pop-culture icons: The rule here is: Stick with the times. It's OK to dress up as a popular character the year the movie is popular, but pick a new person to costume yourself after next year. The extended list of pop culture no-no's includes: Freddy Kruger, the Scream guy, Austin Powers, Jar Jar Binx or ALF -- among many, many others.
Inanimate object: If you want to be uncomfortable all night or if you really thrive on looking ridiculous, by all means, throw a lamp shade on your head or dress yourself in a banana costume and head on out to that Halloween bash. Dressing yourself as an object is goofy, unoriginal, uncomfortable, and not very functional when it comes to lugging your boxy armchair costume in a big crowd or a tight space. You'll also notice that people will actively be trying to avoid you all night out of fear of being poked in the eye or knocked in the head by your larger-than-life getup.
Backwards Man: You get a last-minute invite to a Halloween bash; you frantically comb your closet for something remotely resembling a costume. Being under pressure to outfit yourself in something brilliant usually ends up in a disaster otherwise known as Backwards Man. This is when you decide that it might be clever to wear a regular outfit backwards -- from your hat to your pants. Newsflash: This is in no way, shape or form a clever idea. It's boring, unimaginative and totally done to death. Consider yourself warned: Choose to be Backwards Man and you'll be the loneliest, most mocked man at the party.
Hello, my name is. . . This costume is a complete and utter cop-out. In fact, if you resort to placing a "Hello, my name is" name tag on your shirt and filling it in with "Bill" or "God," you are a big, ol' party-pooper and shouldn't even bother attending any Halloween festivities.
Darth Vader: While Darth Vader is a classic pop-culture icon and may seem like a great costume idea, you should stay clear of this or any other head-covering costumes, like Jason or a Teletubby (well, it goes without saying that you shouldn't be a Teletubby for numerous other reasons too). Full-on face gear is uncomfortably hot to wear, difficult to see out of and you'll have a heck of a hard time trying to join in any conversations or schmoozing that Princess Leia look-a-like in the corner of the room.
HEALTHY HALLOWEEN TIPS (Women's Health)
Divide and conquer: Often, nutrition information for candy is based on more than one mini-sized bag. For example, one serving of peanut M&Ms contains 180 calories and 9 grams of fat, and one serving of Skittles contains 160 calories and 1.5 grams of fat. But, these numbers are based on TWO bags.
- When you have treats, stick to one bag, even though the serving size may be two bags. Then, cut the nutrition information in half on the label to calculate how much you are consuming.
- Craving minty? Treat yourself. Besides the fresh-breath advantage, mint candies are usually low-calorie and may chill you out: Studies have shown that just smelling peppermint reduces anxiety and fatigue. If you are craving minty candy, we recommend York Peppermint Patties. Aside from freshening your breath, they're lower in calories and fat than most candy.
- Portion Control Issues? One trick to keep from going overboard on bite size goodies: Choose hard candies, which you can't possibly polish off as quickly as a bag of sour gummy bears. We recommend Jolly Ranchers or lollipops, which take much longer to eat than other types of candy so the calories last longer. For example, Tootsie-Pop miniatures have 50 calories -- but there are three lollipops in each serving.
- Another option for satisfying a sweet tooth is Jelly Belly Sport Beans, which are fortified with electrolytes and carbohydrates for energy.
HALLOWEEN TRIVIA AND FUN FACTS (Halloween-Website.com)
Halloween Holiday Trivia
Orange and black are Halloween colors because orange is associated with the Fall harvest and black is associated with darkness and death.
Jack o' Lanterns originated in Ireland where people placed candles in hollowed-out turnips to keep away spirits and ghosts on the Samhain holiday.
Pumpkins also come in white, blue and green. Great for unique monster carvings!
Halloween was brought to North America by immigrants from Europe who would celebrate the harvest around a bonfire, share ghost stories, sing, dance and tell fortunes.
Tootsie Rolls were the first wrapped penny candy in America.
The ancient Celts thought that spirits and ghosts roamed the countryside on Halloween night. They began wearing masks and costumes to avoid being recognized as human.
Halloween candy sales average about 2 billion dollars annually in the United States.
Chocolate candy bars top the list as the most popular candy for trick-or-treaters with Snickers #1.
Halloween is the 2nd most commercially successful holiday, with Christmas being the first.
Bobbing for apples is thought to have originated from the roman harvest festival that honors Pamona, the goddess of fruit trees.
Black cats were once believed to be witch's familiars who protected their powers.
Monster Trivia & Folklore
Signs of a werewolf are a unibrow, hair palms, tattoos, and a long middle finger.
Vampires are mythical beings who defy death by sucking the blood of humans.
In 1962, the Count Dracula Society was founded.
To this day, there are vampire clubs and societies with people claiming to be real vampires.
There really are so-called vampire bats, but they're not from Transylvania. They live in Central and South America and feed on the blood of cattle, horses and birds.
Many people still believe that gargoyles were created by medieval architects and stone carvers to ward off evil spirits.
Halloween Movie Details
"Halloween" was made in only 21 days in 1978 on a very limited budget.
The movie was shot in the Spring and used fake autumn leaves.
The character Laurie Strode, played by Jamie Lee Curtis was named after John Carpenter's first girlfriend.
While the setting for the story is in Illinois, the vehicles have California license plates.
Halloween is on October 31st, the last day of the Celtic calendar. It was originally a pagan holiday, honoring the dead. Holloween was referred to as All Hallows Eve and dates back to over 2000 years ago.
FOR A DOSE OF NON-HALLOWEEN NEWS: Many women, according to the Daily Mail, are ordering smaller sizes in clothing in the mistaken belief that they will slim down into them by the time comes to wear them. Others are just too embarrassed to admit to their measurements, especially if ordering the dress over the phone or internet.
According to DoitYourself.com, when will the next full moon on Halloween be?
Win tix to see Alan Jackson!
Today noon to 2pm and win tix to see Alan Jackson! Drop by The Findlay Automotive Company on The Parkway in Bullhead City! Free tickets now though Nov. 5th just for taking a test drive! 2565 Laughlin View Drive Bullhead City, AZ 86429 928-754-3400 ALAN JACKSON TIX MAN!!! Bring the Kids, dogs and cats...there will be a Human Pinnate full of candy and a costume contest for the kids. Tonight I will be judging the Costume Contest at the Avi! Can you say PARTY?? It is going to be a great weekend...hope you will join me! Happy Halloween!
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
Garth Brooks hasn't forgotten about the Nashville flood victims. The semi-retired star announced Thursday (October 28th) that he'll headline a benefit concert December 17th for victims of Tennessee's spring flooding.
The benefit show -- also featuring Brooks' wife Trisha Yearwood and surprise guests -- is slated to take place at the Bridgestone Arena, marking the first time Brooks has performed in Nashville in more than a decade. He's been living in Oklahoma, performing occasional solo shows at a Las Vegas casino hotel under a five-year contract.
At a press conference yesterday, Brooks told reporters why the Nashville show will be different: "Our job is to make it the best show we've ever done. If you come to Vegas, you're going to see Garth Brooks on a guitar. You come to Nashville this Christmas, you're going to see the band that you know. You're gonna see the light rig that you know. You're going to see the stage that you know. And hopefully you'll see a show that we will try to work to be so you walk out of there going, 'Wow, that's the best Garth Brooks show I've ever seen.'"
Yearwood talked about why they're staging a benefit show now: "For us who have been to places like to New Orleans after Katrina two years later and seeing that things are still and still now -- still needing to be rebuilt. It doesn't go away. So I think the main focus was to still be here when everybody's gone back to what they normally do, and I'm honored to be a part of this."
Taylor Swift isn't dishing on which exs she wrote about on her new album; she's letting the music doing the talking. That said, anyone who may have a song about him on Speak Nowrelease shouldn't be too surprised, as Swift tells MTV News, "I've never kept quiet the fact that I write songs about people, it's like, this is album number three -- you guys have had fair warning!"
- The tickets will cost $25 each -- with 100 percent of the sales going to those in need. Ticket information will be announced next Wednesday (November 3rd). There's talk this will be the first in a series of gigs for the cause.
- All proceeds will go to the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee's flood relief program.
We asked Swift about who she wrote the songs about:"I do name names sometimes with my music. It's something that I end up doing when I'm writing a song, and it feels natural at the time, and I'm like, 'Why not?' And then I'll put it on an album and then everybody knows. And then I find myself going, 'How did everybody know?' Well I put their name in the song. It's just this ongoing process that I find myself in -- just kind of like, 'Well, how did everybody know? Well, I detailed the entire relationship in the lyrics. Oh yes, that's how they all know."
Jason Aldean is gearing up for Halloween this weekend and looking forward to spending it with his wife and two daughters. He tells us what he has in mind for this year: "I always loved Halloween as a kid and so I make sure I'm home for the girls and make sure I'm here. And try to make it fun for them. So we dress up. I'm still trying to narrow down my costume for this year. I might go as Dennis Rodman. I don't know. I'm still trying to figure that out."
- In other news, JustJared.com reports that Swift might be in talks to star in a big screen version of the Broadway show Rock Of Ages. Is it happens, Swift would star as Sherrie Christian -- a small town girl chasing her dreams in L.A. Tom Cruise has reportedly also been offered a supporting role in the film.
Aldean tells us how he ususally spends Halloween:"Usually I always make sure if Halloween is on a weekend, I make sure I'm home for that and I have a good friend of mine that lives pretty close to us in a big neighborhood. For the last 5 or 6 years we just take are kids other there with their kids. And all the parents dress up. Last year I was Elvis. I had the white jumpsuit and all of that. It was pretty awesome."
- Aldean's My Kinda Party album arrives on November 2nd.
- He was recently nominated for two American Music Awards -- Favorite Country Music Album and Favorite Country Music Male Artist. The winners will be announced live from the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles on November 21st on ABC.
- Jason's Wide Open CD was released in April of last year.
- It produced the Number One hits "She's Country," "Big Green Tractor" and "The Truth."
- My Kinda Party is Jason's fourth album.
CHECK IT OUT: Read how other country stars are spending Halloween: http://tinyurl.com/25esl8n
Carrie Underwood just doesn't get the point of social networking. You won't find her on Twitter or Facebook, and here's why: She told Good Morning America that she doesn't find it necessary for her career, adding, "I am technologically -- I don't want to say challenged, because I can do all the basics, but I'm not into it. And some people are into it and they have fun with it and that's awesome. I'm glad people can find some happy by telling people what they had for lunch."
Still, Underwood likes to interact with her fans and will do that by blogging on her fan club site. She explains, "It's kind of a one-way for people to get their information from. I've seen stuff I've said on my blog be picked up by other venues, so anything I say on there will get out."
- Underwood also thinks sites like Facebook or Twitter make it too easy to post something that you may later regret, noting, "Twitter and Facebook and those things, if you're mad or you're crazy at the moment, or I've seen people intoxicated twittering, it's too immediate. There's no time to cool off and think about what you're going to say before you say it. I'd get in trouble."
- Underwood is on the final leg of her Play On tour with Billy Currington and Sons of Sylvia.
- She will both co-host and perform at the 44th Annual CMA Awards on November 10th.
CHECK IT OUT: Six Reasons Why I'm Not On Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/2ehy9tm
Martina McBride and pop-rock band Train will team up for a CMT Crossroads episode, set to air on November 20th. According to CMT.com, Train frontman Pat Monahan said, "Performing on CMT Crossroads with Martina McBride is an exciting honor for Train. Martina is an icon in the country music world because her voice is amazing and her songs are timeless." McBride appeared on Crossroads with one of her idols, Pat Benatar, in 2003.
Reba McEntire will make a guest appearance on ABC's Better With You, reuniting with her Reba TV show co-star JoAnna Garcia. CMT.com reports that McEntire will portray a high-end wedding planner who tries to upstage the pending nuptials.
- McEntire will visit ABC's Good Morning America on November 9th, the same day her new album,All The Woman I Am, comes out.
Q. What was the name of Dolly Parton's first gold record in 1977?
A. Here You Come Again
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY
SUPERSTAR SESSIONS: BRAD PAISLEY/GAC 10:00AM, 3:00PM (ET)
RASCAL FLATTS: WHY WAIT/GAC 11:00AM, 2:30PM (ET)
TOP 20 COUNTRY COUNTDOWN/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
Taylor Swift, Jason Aldean
ON THE STREETS/GAC 10:30PM (ET)
Taylor Swift, Gwyneth Paltrow
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Taylor Swift's single "You Belong With Me" was certified gold, platinum and double-platinum in 2009.
- Rascal Flatts' Feels Like Today album received simultaneous gold and platinum certification in 2004.
- Rascal Flatts' second album, Melt, was released in 2002.
- Patty Loveless's first Christmas album, Bluegrass And White Snow: A Mountain Christmas, was released in 2002.
- Alan Jackson recorded "Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)" in 2001.
- Alan Jackson's "Livin' On Love" hit Number One in 1994.
- Clint Black's Killin' Time album was certified double-platinum in 1990.
- Vince Gill took home his first gold album for When I Call Your Name in 1990.
- Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton spent the first of two weeks at Number One in Billboard with "Islands In The Stream" in 1983.
- Alabama debuted on the Grand Ole Opry in 1982.
- Dolly Parton's "Coat Of Many Colors" charted in 1971
HEIDI MONTAG'S MOM IS A MAID: Heidi Montag's mother is working as a maid. Darlene Egelhoff toldInside Edition that she is now cleaning houses because the restaurant she owned for 21 years went out of business. She said that some of her employers recognize her from The Hills, which is "very humbling for me and I very much appreciate that experience because I don't ever want to get full of myself and think I'm too good to do anything."
QUAIDS RELEASED FROM JAIL: Randy and Evi Quaid were released from a Vancouver jail on Wednesday after officials discovered that Evi's father might have been born in Canada. TMZ.com reports that after a hearing with the Immigration and Refugee Board, Evi received an "unconditional release," and Randy was freed after posting $10,000 bond. They were arrested on a U.S. warrant last week stemming from accusations that they were illegally squatting at a home.
'TOP MODEL' WINNER DATING MARILYN MANSON? America's Next Top Model winner CariDee English is reportedly dating Marilyn Manson. The cycle seven champ told Life & Style magazine, "Marilyn Manson inspires and supports me in my music. He has made me feel comfortable and beautiful with who I am as an artist and as a woman." Manson recently split from Evan Rachel Wood.
NO TRUTH TO ANGELINA JOLIE 'FLIP OUT' RUMOR: There is no truth to rumors that Angelina Jolie"flipped out" after hearing that Brad Pitt had called Courteney Cox "to offer condolences on her marriage bustup" with David Arquette. The National Enquirer reported that Jolie believed Pitt only reached out to Cox "as a cover to rekindle his ties to the 'Friends' star's best pal -- his ex-wife Jennifer Aniston!" GossipCop.com reported that the story is completely untrue.
FIFTH 'BIG LOVE' SEASON IS ITS LAST: HBO is pulling the plug on Big Love after five seasons. The network's president announced that the upcoming season, premiering on January 16th, will be its last. The creators said in a joint statement, "While we were in the writers' room this year shaping our fifth season, we discovered that we were approaching the culmination of that story."
'TEEN MOM' STARS MAKE BIG BUCKS: The Teen Mom stars make some pretty serious cash for, well, teen moms. Life & Style reported, "The Teen Mom stars earn $60,000 to $65,000 per season." Gary's (on-off fiance of Amber) best friend, Jordan Sanchez told the magazine, "Gary says he's broke. The money is the only reason he's willing to do the show. You can't walk away from money like that."
PAM ANDERSON DONATED PLAYBOY CHECK TO CHARITY: Pamela Anderson reportedly donated the $25,000 paycheck from her upcoming Playboy pictorial to charity. TMZ.com reported that she had Playboy send the money directly to Waves 4 Water, a charity that distributes water filters to people who don't have access to clean drinking water. She said, "I've also donated personally. I wish I could do more. Indonesia, Haiti and Pakistan are all in need of these filters. Spread the word!"
QUICK FACT: PerezHilton.com reports that the fourth Mission: Impossible movie will be called Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol.
CHARLIE SHEEN'S PORN STAR COMPANION REPORTEDLY GOING AFTER HIM IN COURT
The 22-year-old porn star who was in Charlie Sheen's hotel room during his alleged coke-fueled meltdown earlier this week will reportedly press a case against him. TMZ.com reports that Capri Anderson, (real name Christina Walsh), will ask Colorado prosecutors to violate Charlie's probation on the grounds that he allegedly held her against her will.
Sources say that Anderson feared for her life as Charlie repeatedly punched the door to the bathroom in which she was hiding. She has supposedly retained a lawyer and plans to fly to Aspen in the next few days to make her case before the judge.
- However, TMZ also reported that when law enforcement interviewed Anderson at the hotel after the incident, she did not say she felt Charlie was holding her against her will.
- Meanwhile, Charlie was spotted on a movie set Thursday, where he's filming a cameo for his friend's flick, She Wants Me.
CHARLIE DIDN'T PAY FOR DATE?
Sources are suggesting that Anderson is going after Charlie because he never paid her fee for their date.
An insider told RadarOnline.com, "Charlie had never met Christina until that night. He ordered her from a 'service.' Christina was supposed to be paid $12,000. And by the time the crazy night was over, she never got paid because Charlie flipped out. She was furious and now she's doing everything she can to make money off that night."
- Radar claims that Charlie had "ordered" girls for himself, his assistant and two male friends. Anderson reportedly got the call about an hour before meeting Charlie.
OPRAH WINFREY TO BAN THE 'B WORD' FROM OWN?
Oprah Winfrey has revealed that she will be banning the word "bitch" from her new network OWN. According to The Hollywood Reporter, at the Women's Conference in California earlier this week, Oprah said that her new cable network, that launches in January will be "fun and entertaining without tearing people down calling them bitches. Imagine that. Imagine that."
- Oprah then told the crowd that she was destined to launch her own network. She said, "Growing up, I could never find my name on any of those license plates or lunch boxes. Now, I know what it was for -- to start my own network. A whole network, a whole channel that we're designing to carry the Oprah Winfrey message."
- She continued, "I know that as I start out on this next chapter, there's going to be some mistakes. I know there's going to be some stumbles. I know I'm a work in process and progress. I know nothing new is perfect, but I'm not scared. I'm not afraid."
OPRAH BEING SUED FOR PLAGIARISM
Reports say that a Philadelphia writer has filed suit against Oprah Winfrey for plagiarism. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Charles Harris has claimed that the talk show host allegedly stole passages from his book for a 2009 episode of her show. Charles has claimed that he sent O ten copies of his booklet, How America Elects Her Presidents back in 2008. He has alleged that on the February 16, 2009 episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show, Oprah read exact questions directly from his book.
Harris has claimed that "the language and structure of the questions were exactly the same" and added that Oprah "was also highly praising of the information contained in the booklet."
- An Oprah spokesperson told the newspaper, "We have not been served in this lawsuit."
- Harris wants $150,000 for each intentional unlawful use of his copyrighted material as well as money to cover damages and lost profits.
CHECK IT OUT
Hawaii Five-O star James MacArthur died on Thursday (October 28th) at the age of 72. A family rep confirmed his death, noting that his family was by his side, but offering no other details. MacArthur played Danny "Danno" Williams on the 1970s show.
He was adopted shortly after his birth by actress Helen Hayes, considered the First Lady of the American stage, and her husband, Charles MacArthur, who co-wrote The Front Page and Twentieth Century.
- MacArthur began acting in the late 1950s and early 60s in Third Man on the Mountain, Kidnappedand Swiss Family Robinson, and won critical acclaim for his Broadway role opposite Jane Fondain Invitation to a March. He also appeared in The Battle of the Bulge and 1968's Clint Eastwood spaghetti Western, Hang 'Em High.
- He is survived by his wife of 25 years, four children and seven grandchildren.
Actress Lisa Blount has died at the age of 53. People magazine reports that the An Officer and a Gentleman actress was found dead in her Arkansas home on Wednesday (October 27th), however police say she likely died on Monday.
There are no signs of foul play, and reports say Blount had been suffering from an MS-like disease for years.
- Her other acting roles included those in Great Balls of Fire, with Dennis Quaid as Jerry Lee Lewis, and Chrystal, with Billy Bob Thornton.
ANNE HATHAWAY AND SCARLETT JOHANSSON HOSTING 'SNL' NEXT MONTH
Scarlett Johansson and Anne Hathaway will host Saturday Night Live in November.
Scarlett will take the stage for the third time on November 13th. The musical guest that night will beArcade Fire.
- Hathaway, who will be a second-time host, takes over the reins on November 20, with Florence and the Machine as the musical guest.
- This week's Halloween broadcast will be fronted by Mad Men's Jon Hamm.CHECK IT OUT: Best SNL hosts: http://tinyurl.com/2vfeqlo
JURY CONVICTS SMITH'S COMPANION AND PSYCHIATRIST
Howard K. Stern was found guilty of conspiracy for funneling prescription drugs to the late Anna Nicole Smith in court on Thursday.
Stern, Smith's companion in the years before her death, was acquitted of several other charges. He is free pending an appeal, but faces a maximum of three years in prison when he is sentenced on January 6th.
Smith's psychiatrist Dr. Khristine Eroshevich was also found guilty of conspiracy to funnel prescription drugs to Anna Nicole Smith, but the doctor who prescribed her drugs, Dr. Sandeep Kapoor, was acquitted on all charges.
- The trial was to determine if the three defendants were trying to relieve Smith's emotional and physical pain or were feeding her addiction to prescription drugs.
- Smith died of an accidental overdose in 2007.
PAULA ABDUL'S NEW SHOW FACING OFF AGAINST 'AMERICAN IDOL'
Paula Abdul's new dance competition series Live to Dance will be squaring off againstAmerican Idol in the ratings. Variety reported that Abdul's show will launch on CBS with a two-hour special on January 4 and then move to its regular one-hour Wednesday slot on January 5 at 8 p.m.
Fox has not yet announced the launch date for Idol, but if it airs during its regular time slots, the two programs will face off beginning on the night of January 12.
- Paula will serve as a judge, mentor and executive producer on Live to Dance. She will be joined by choreographer Travis Payne and former Pussycat Dolls dancer Kimberly Wyatt.
TESTS SHOWED CEMENT PROBLEMS BEFORE BP WELL BLOWOUT: Tests performed before the April blowout of BP's oil well in the Gulf of Mexico that killed 11 workers and led to the largest offshore oil spill in U.S. history showed that there were problems with the cement used to seal the well, investigators with the president's oil spill commission said yesterday (October 28th). However, BP and its cementing contractor Halliburton used it anyway. Halliburton has previously said its tests showed the cement mix was stable, but acknowledged in a statement yesterday that it never tested the final mixture of cement for stability after BP made a last-minute change to the mix. The cement mix's failure to prevent oil and gas from entering the well has been identified as one of the causes of the blowout. The panel said that of four tests done in February and April by Halliburton, only the last one showed the mix would hold. But the results of that one successful test weren't shared with BP, and may not have reached Halliburton, before the cement was pumped, according to the chief investigative counsel.
MUSLIM SOURCE TIPPED OFF LAW ENFORCEMENT TO D.C. TERROR SUSPECT: Law enforcement officials said yesterday (October 28th) that they were tipped off to the terror suspect arrested Wednesday in a plot to bomb the Washington, D.C., subway system by a source in the Muslim community. The source told them that the Pakistani-born naturalized citizen was trying to join a terrorist group. Suspect Farooque Ahmed also reportedly wanted to kill Americans in Afghanistan and was committed to becoming a martyr. After being tipped off, the FBI set up a sting in which Ahmed thought he was dealing with two al-Qaida operatives who would help him carry out the attack, but who were in reality undercover investigators. The FBI and White House have said the public was never in danger.
ROVE DOESN'T THINK PALIN HAS 'GRAVITAS' TO BE PREZ: Sarah Palin is one of the most popular politicians among Republicans, and she's often talked about in the media as a potential 2012 presidential candidate. But Republican strategist Karl Rove, who was former President George W. Bush's top adviser, doesn't think she has the gravitas for the job. In an interview with London's Daily Telegraph, Rove said, "There are high standards that the American people have" for the presidency. "They require a certain level of gravitas . . . They want to look at the candidate and say, 'That candidate is doing things that [give] me confidence that they are up to the most demanding job in the world." Rove particularly cited Palin's new reality TV show, Sarah Palin's Alaska, saying, "I am not certain how that fits in the American calculus of 'That helps me see you in the Oval Office.'" As for whether Palin actually wants to run for president, she said on Entertainment Tonight last night (October 28th) that she will, quote, "if there's nobody else to do it."
SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER RESIGNING AFTER SAYING GAY YOUTH SHOULD KILL THEMSELVES: An Arkansas school board member announced last night (October 28th) that he's resigning, after causing an uproar with a Facebook post saying that he thinks gay youths should kill themselves. Clint McCance of the Midland school district said on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 that he's stepping down to help the school and community and apologized for his, quote, "too harsh . . . too emotional language." He said, "The only thing I can do is extend my apologies for my poor speech. I don't wish death on anyone." In the Facebook post, McCance scoffed at a campaign asking people to wear purple on October 20th to show solidarity after several gay youths killed themselves because of bullying. He wrote, "Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers killed themselves. The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide. . . . We are honoring the fact that they sinned and killed thereselves because of their sin." In a follow-up response to criticism of his original post, McCance wrote that he liked that gay people, quote, "can't procreate [and] I also enjoy the fact they they often give each other AIDS and die." The Midland school district had disavowed McCance's sentiments.
RULES WRITTEN BY BASKETBALL INVENTOR UP FOR AUCTION: The original rules that James Naismith wrote in 1891 for the new game of basketball that he'd invented are being auctioned off in New York by Sotheby's in December and are expected to fetch at least $2 million. Naismith, who was a physical education instructor at a YMCA training school in Springfield, Massachusetts, came up with the game as an activity for the kids to play indoors in the winter. He wrote down the 13 rules on December 21, 1891, and had the list pinned on a bulletin board outside the gym after they were typed up by his secretary. Ian Naismith, the grandson of James Naismith, said it was a family decision to put the rules up for auction, and to give the money to the Naismith International Basketball Foundation, which promotes sportsmanship and provides services to underprivileged kids around the world.
TUBE-FREE TOILET PAPER DEBUTING: Kimberly-Clark is introducing a new tube-free toilet paper roll under its Scott Naturals brand that comes without the familiar cardboard tube in the center. USA Todayreported that it's debuting Monday (November 1st) at Walmart and Sam's Club stores across the Northeast, and if the test run goes well, it may be extended nationally and the technology could be extended to paper towels. The change is an environmentally-friendly one designed to cut down on paper waste. According to Kimberly-Clark, some 17 billion toilet paper tubes are produced each year in the U.S. alone, enough to reach to the Moon and back twice if placed end-to-end.
ART BEING SOLD IN VENDING MACHINES IN GERMANY: A 35-year-old German artist who wanted to make art more accessible has installed some 100 vending machines across Germany that sell art miniatures in small boxes. Lars Kaiser took refurbished vending machines that once sold traditional products like cigarettes or gum, decorated them in different colors and styles, and filled them with small sculptures, collages and paintings in small boxes. Some 140 professional artists created the artworks, but the machines don't allow customers to pick works by particular artists so that they are exposed to something new. The boxes -- which cost two or three euros -- also contain inserts with details of the artist's life, work and website address.
GIANTS BLANK RANGERS 9-0, TAKE 2-0 WORLD SERIES LEAD: The San Francisco Giants shut out the Texas Rangers 9-0 last night (October 28th), taking a 2-0 lead in the World Series. Giants starterMatt Cain pitched 7 2/3 innings at AT&T Park in San Francisco, allowing the only four hits the Rangers got in the game before giving way to the bullpen. On the offensive side, Edgar Renteria was a big part of the Giants' scoring, with a home run and three RBIs. Rangers starter C.J. Wilson allowed only two runs before leaving after a leadoff walk in the seventh, but the Texas bullpen didn't do the job, giving up another seven runs, all of them in the eighth inning.
- Game 3 will be played Saturday night (October 30th) in Texas.
(Headline News, FYI and Sports stories were compiled in part from reports by the Associated Press and Reuters.)
ON THE TUBE TODAY AND THIS WEEKEND
- MEDIUM - When Allison has flashes to a specific time in the future, she feels powerless to stop a catastrophic event from happening.
- CSI: NY - When a badly decomposed body is found in an abandoned car, the team must must face a killer who is using his victims' parents to manipulate crime scenes.
- BLUE BLOODS - Danny tries to find the source of a deadly narcotic after three teenagers die from an overdose.
- SCHOOL PRIDE - Students, teachers and parents help the team rebuild an elementary school after a destructive flood; Lady Antebellum performs.
- DATELINE NBC - Investigative journalism.
- HOUSE (repeat)
- THE GOOD GUYS - Dan and Jack discover a deadly criminal conspiracy while investigating an inspection report at a corrupt oil company.
- IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN - Linus waits in the pumpkin patch for the elusive Halloween symbol to appear; a bonus cartoon.
- PRIMETIME: WHAT WOULD YOU DO? - Hidden camera capture people's reactions to a tutor being overly affectionate to a student.
- 20/20 - Investigative reporting.
- SMALLVILLE - Clark is concerned about Lois' safety when she decides to cover Vigilante Registrations Act.
- SUPERNATURAL - Sam and Dean investigate a rash of suicides and discover that someone is invoking the Goddess of Truth to drive the victims crazy.
DAY TIME TALK SHOW
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW - Vanessa Williams, "Science Guy" Steve Spangler
THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW - Oprah and Gayle's Big Yosemite Camping Adventure - Part I
THE VIEW - Cheryl Hines
LATE NIGHT TALK SHOWS
THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN (CBS) - Michael J. Fox, Shaun White, a Top Ten List presented by Amar'e Stoudemire
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO (NBC) - Rainn Wilson, Margaret Sparkman, Jimmy Eat World
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE (ABC) - (repeat)
THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG FERGUSON (CBS) - Jason Segel, Alison Brie, Adam Hills
LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON (NBC) - Ming Tsai
LAST CALL WITH CARSON DALY (NBC) - Frank Darabont, Matt Sax, Ra Ra Riot
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE - Jon Hamm hosts, Rhianna performs.
- THE AMAZING RACE 17 - The contestants have a hard time completing their creative detours before working a day in the fields of a potato farms.
- UNDERCOVER BOSS - Chiquita CEO Fernando Anguirre puts on a smock for a job at the company's flagship factory, where he cannot perform a physically challenging task.
- CSI: MIAMI - When a man claims to have dreamed of a murder before it happened, Horatio and Natalia go undercover to investigate him.
- FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA - Highlights from the day.
- NFL FOOTBALL - Pittsburgh Steelers at New Orleans Saints.
- MLB BASBALL WORLD SERIES - San Francisco Giants at Texas Rangers.
- EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION - The team must make the basement safe at Oregon School for the Deaf in time for the school's annual Halloween haunted house fundraiser.
- DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES - When Halloween approaching, Susan must reveal her secret Internet side job to Mike; Juanita grows suspcicious of Gabrielle's sudden in Grace.
- BROTHERS & SISTERS - The Walkers try to help Kevin and Scotty reunite; Jack starts to surpue new ventures; Luc and Sarah share exciting news.
- THE WALKING DEAD - (series premiere) The survivors of a world overrun with zombies are followed; a sheriff's deputy wakes up from a coma.
- BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Nucky purges some bad childhood memories; Jimmy forges a new alliance with a veteran.
- BORED TO DEATH - Leah hires Jonathan to help find her new dog; Ray joins Jonathan in the search for Leah's dog.
- EASTBOUND & DOWN - Kenny shows Mexico what he is made of and settles some old scores.