THINGS YOU NEED TO SEE...
Watch the tornado that hit Tuscaloosa and listen
to the people who can't believe what they're seeing.
Head here to find out which movies are opening
up this week-end and to watch the trailers.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
Lady Antebellum member Hillary Scott's love life is taking center stage as she's been spotted arriving at various events and award shows with her boyfriend, drummer Chris Tyrell. The two have been dating since last year, and it seems pretty serious.
Charles Kelley told The Boot, "I will say, Hillary is definitely in love, and it's a great thing to see. You can just tell she's got butterflies in her stomach right now, and we'll see what happens with everything, butDave (Haywood) and I approve. Her big brothers approve, and that's a good thing."
- Lady A is wrapping up work on their third CD.
- The debut single, "Just A Kiss," will be headed to country radio on Monday (May 2nd).
- Lady A will perform at the CMA Music Festival in Nashville at LP Field on June 10th.
- Lady A's Need You Now CD was released in 2010.
- It produced three Number One hits with "Need You Now," "American Honey," and "Our Kind Of Love."
Blake Shelton celebrated his eighth Number One hit yesterday (Thursday, April 28th) with a party in Nashville. "Who Are You When I'm Not Looking" topped the country charts back in March. Blake has certainly spent enough time at Number One over the years that you would think it's old hat, but he tells us he takes nothing for granted. "I can't get comfortable with singles goin' Number One because I'm afraid if I ever do then that'll be end of it, and so I'm always. . . Every single that I pick and put out there I'm always like, 'Oh my God, people are gonna hate this one!' and especially with 'Who Are You When I'm Not Looking'."
Blake says he got his manager and his producer on a conference call on the eve of this single release and had a bit of a freak out session. "I had 'em both on the phone and right before we released the single I told 'em, I said, 'Oh my God! I'm havin' nightmares. We can't put this song out. The track is too sparse, and people are gonna think that, you know, 'do you paint your toes cause you bite your nails' means that this girl's stickin' her foot in her mouth and chewin' on her toes, and I just had all these things that I was thinkin' about and I was talkin' myself out of it, you know, and I do that almost every time."
- Blake is already racing up the charts with his latest single, "Honeybee."
- The song is from his upcoming untitled CD, which will be in stores on July 12th.
- Blake is enjoying success on his brand new show, The Voice. The show airs on NBC on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET.
- Blake's latest CD, All About Tonight, was released in 2010 and produced two Number Ones -- "It's All About Tonight" and "Who Are You When I'm Not Looking."
- He and Miranda Lambert will tie the knot on May 14th.
Taylor Swift: "We're at rehearsals watching videos of the tornadoes in Tuscaloosa. Our love and hopes and thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected."
Reba: "Oh my gosh. Terrible day today. My heart and prayers go out to those in the SE part of our United States."
Darius Rucker: "My heart goes out to those affected by the devastating storms. To help donate to the Red Cross http://bit.ly/kUu2zb or txt REDCROSS to 90999"
Randy Houser: "Praying for all the Tornado victims and their families. God Bless you all."
LeAnn Rimes: "My heart goes out to my southern friends and family. I love you all!!!"
Dierks Bentley is celebrating the warm weather and the onset of summer with "Am I The Only One." It's the first release from Dierks' upcoming CD, and he tells us it was the perfect tune for the fans, radio and his live shows. "Summertime's rollin' around, I've been off the radio for awhile just cause I had to go make a project that was really important to me, and I'm being selfish cause I wanted to be back on, and I wanted our fans to hear our stuff and I wanted the song out there for the summertime and this song just felt like the right song for that. It's just fun to kinda come back with something that's a no-brainer that's fun for the fans and fun for us to play every night. It goes well with this Jager tour. This thing's a party, and that's what we're out here doing, and I'm the ringleader of it. I'm the bartender of it and that song just kind of fits right in there for what I'm doin' right now."
Dierks also says that fans shouldn't assume the rest of his new record sounds like "Am I The Only One.""I don't think it's representative of the record at all, but I mean I think all my records . . . the subject matter range is wide. Some people really can put a narrow focus on a certain brand they're trying to sell. My stuff's always kind of run the gamut of stuff and this album will do the same thing."
- Dierks recently released the video for "Am I The Only One."
- He continues on the Jagermeister Country tour tonight (Friday, April 29th) in St. Charles, Missouri with special guests Josh Thompson and Miss Willie Brown.
- Dierks' last studio album, Up On The Ridge, was released in 2010. It was a bluegrass album which produced a Top 21 hit with the album's title track.
- His next album, Diamonds, will be released sometime this year.
Reba and Blake Shelton are headed back to their homestate of Oklahoma to perform a fundraiser concert for the victims of the recent EF3 tornado that hit the town of Tushka. The devastation occurred close to where Reba was raised and where Blake currently lives. The "Tornado Relief Concert" will be held on May 26th at the Choctaw Event Center in Durant.
- The tornado hit on April 14th, killing two people and injuring more than 40.
- Reba said, "A lot of people lost a great deal in this disaster, and it's particularly close to us because we both consider Oklahoma home. We wanted to do something and let the people in Oklahoma know that we love them and we're praying for them during this difficult tragedy."
- Blake said, "Oklahoma defines who I am, and seeing the effects this disaster has had on my neighbors, I knew I had to do something. Reba and I have a lot of love for this state and we wanted to do what we can to help. This place is my home, and these people are family to us."
- All proceeds from the concert will go toward Atoka County's relief efforts through the Tushka Disaster Relief Fund.
- Reba was raised in Chockie on her family's ranch.
- Blake is from Ada but currently lives in Tishomingo.
Vince Gill will mark the one-year anniversary of the devastating floods in Middle Tennessee with a free concert in downtown Nashville on Monday (May 2nd). Vince will be joined by Will Hoge and the Nashville Symphony for the Voices Rising: Remembering One Year Later concert on the Shelby Street Pedestrian bridge.
- In addition to musical performances, several community leaders will speak, and guests will have the chance to share their own memories of the flood with the Nashville Public Library for the National Flood Digital History Project. The traveling flood exhibit will also be on display.
- Vince lost many vintage guitars in the flood. He wrote on his website, "It was a real emotional week on so many levels. Funerals, weddings and floods, it all happened. There was much in the carnage of it all that you just saw the best in people all over the place. . . (The guitars are) my picture book. That's my photo album. My world is not in pictures so much, but it's in painting pictures. So, I feel like it's notes of music that are my photographs. Everybody talks about, 'If my house burns down what am I going to grab - all the pictures.' Well those things were my pictures. That's the real disappointment."
- More than 19 inches of rain fell on the Middle Tennessee area on May 1st and 2nd.
- Twenty-one people died in the flood.
- According to Nashville Mayor Karl Dean, damage estimates in Nashville totalled $1.5 billion, not including damage to roads and bridges or public buildings, as well as contents inside buildings and residences.
Staind frontman Aaron Lewis has been nominated for two CMT (Country Music Television) Music Awards, marking the first time the singer has been nominated for a CMT award. His single "Country Boy" has been nominated for "USAWeekend Breakthrough Video Of The Year," which is awarded to the best video from an artist's major breakthrough album, and "Collaborative Video Of The Year," which is awarded to the best video that featured a special collaborative appearance by artists.
- "Country Boy" is taken from Lewis' debut solo EP, Town Line, which came out in March and went to the top of the country music chart.
- The song features guest appearances from country music legends Charlie Daniels and George Jones.
- The 2011 CMT Music Awards will air live from Nashville on Wednesday, June 8th on CMT andCMT.com. Fans can vote now through June 7th at CMT.com for the winners.
- In addition to topping the country music album chart, Town Line entered the Billboard overall album chart last month at Number Seven.
- Staind recently completed its seventh studio album, which will arrive later this year. Lewis has promised it will be the band's heaviest effort in some time.
Dierks Bentley was the victim of a prank orchestrated by Jagermeister Country tour opening act Miss Willie Brown last weekend. The duo, comprised of Kasey Buckley and Amanda Watkins, gave Dierks' beloved CJ-7 Jeep a little makeover.
- Kasey said, "Before he gets us real bad, we thought we'd get one in and then go running for the hills."
- Amanda added, "I think that the decision to be the first to prank the Bentley team is kind of winning. We like to be number 1 and since we started it, no matter what, we win!"
- Fellow opener Josh Thompson said, "The girls approached me to see if I wanted to start an alliance with them. I told them 'Hell, no!' They are on their own for this one."
- The Jagermeister Country tour continues this weekend with stops in Saint Charles, Missouri tonight (April 29th) and Chicago on Saturday (April 30th).
CHECK IT OUT
Q. What country act was the first to play at Wrigley Field in Chicago?
A. Rascal Flatts
Friday, April 29th
ON THE TUBE
THE BAND PERRY: YOU LIE/GAC 2:30PM (ET)
TOP 20 COUNTRY COUNTDOWN/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN/CBS 11:35PM (ET)
- Duane Allen (Oak Ridge Boys) (68)
- Andre Agassi (tennis player) (41)
- Daniel Day-Lewis (Academy-award winning actor, My Left Foot, There Will Be Blood) (54)
- Kate Mulgrew (actress, Captain Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager) (56)
- Michelle Pfeiffer (actress, Fabulous Baker Boys, Dangerous Liaisons, Scarface, Frankie And Johnny) (53)
- Eve Plumb (actress, The Brady Bunch's Jan) (53)
- Jerry Seinfeld (comedian) (57)
- Uma Thurman (actress, Pulp Fiction, the Kill Bill movies, The Accidental Husband) (41)
- Carnie Wilson (singer from Wilson Phillips, who's also famous for weight-loss surgery that led her to lose a large amount of weight) (43)
- Master P (rapper and music mogul) (44)
- Federico Castelluccio (actor, The Sopranos' Furio) (47)
- Klaus Voormann (bassist, played with the Beatles, Peter Frampton, and Lou Reed, Manfred Mann, among others) (73)
- Tommy James (singer, "I Think We're Alone Now") (64)
- April Stevens (singer, "Deep Purple" with brother Nino Tempo) (75)
IT'S HERE! ROYAL WEDDING DAY
After months of hype, speculation and anticipation, it's finally here: the Royal Wedding!
THE LAST HOURS OF FREEDOM
How did Kate Middleton spend her last day before the big wedding? Rehearsing for it!
Middleton, her bridesmaids, and best man Prince Harry, rehearsed for a final time at Westminster Abbey on Thursday. Afterwards, Kate arrived at the Goring Hotel, where she and her family stayed ahead of the big day. She cheerfully waved to the throngs of well-wishers who lined the streets hoping to catch a glimpse of the princess-to-be.
Later, Camilla Bowles -- who will be Kate's stepmother-in-law -- greeted the crowds as well. She told reporters, "We're all ready for tomorrow -- it's wonderful and all very exciting! There's a great atmosphere out here and it's so nice to meet people and see how the celebrations are getting underway."
Prince William was expected to have spent the night before his wedding having a private dinner with his immediate family: brother Harry, dad, Prince Charles and his stepmom Camilla.
- Also on Thursday, the couple released their wedding program, in which they offer thanks for all of the support they've received. It reads, "We are both so delighted that you are able to join us in celebrating what we hope will be one of the happiest days of our lives. The affection shown to us by so many people during our engagement has been incredibly moving, and has touched us both deeply."
THE LOW DOWN ON EVERYTHING:
KATE'S DOING HER OWN MAKEUP: People magazine reported that Kate Middleton is set to do her own makeup after a series of private lessons with London makeup artist Arabella Preston.
FAMOUS GUESTS: Among the most recognizable faces in the house? Elton John, David and Victoria Beckham, Guy Ritchie, Rowan Atkinson ("Mr. Bean") and Joss Stone.
LAST MINUTE GUEST ISSUES: Britain revoked a royal wedding invitation to Syrian Ambassador Sami Khiyami because of violent attacks on protesters by the regime there.
DEFIANT VOWS: Middleton will not promise to "obey" her new husband in her vows but instead to "love, comfort, honor and keep" him.
KATE'S WEDDING RING: We all know that Prince William won't be wearing a wedding ring. But Kate's new bling will be fashioned from a single nugget of Welsh gold, which has been the custom for all royal weddings since 1923. The gold was given to the royal family for the wedding of the late Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) to the future King George VI.
HERE COMES THE BRIDE? Kate will walk down the aisle to "I Was Glad," the anthem setting of Psalm 122 composed by Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry for the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902. The anthem was also sung at the 1981 wedding of William's parents.
AS THEY DEPART . . . The newlyweds will leave to the march "Crown Imperial" by William Walton, which also figured in Charles and Diana's wedding.
WILL IT RAIN? The Meteorological Office says the day will start off gray and dry with low clouds across London. Some sunny spells may break through but the chance of showers will rise to 30 percent around noon -- when William and Kate will emerge from the Abbey a newly married couple.
WHAT'S KATE'S NEW NAME? According to the AP, "It's traditional for the queen to give a prince a dukedom upon his marriage, but Prince William has reportedly said he wants to remain a prince (a lower-ranking title than a duke). If that's the case, Kate would technically assume her husband's first name, making her Her Royal Highness, Princess William of Wales."
WILLIAM AND KATE ARE RELATED?! The two are fifteenth cousins. They share a common ancestor in Sir Thomas Fairfax, who was born around 1475 and was the owner of a castle in the north of England.
YOUNG BRIDESMAIDS: Kate's maid of honor is her 27-year-old sister Pippa. Her four bridesmaids, however, range in age from 3 years old to 8 years old. They're the daughters of friends and family, including 7-year-old Lady Louise Windsor, the daughter of Prince Charles's brother Prince Edward, and Prince William's first cousin.
PRINCESS DIANA WILL BE THERE -- IN SPIRIT: The first hymn sung will be "Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer" -- the final hymn at Princess Diana's funeral, and was also played at a memorial service on the 10th anniversary of her untimely death.
THE ROYAL WEDDING BY THE NUMBERS (Us Weekly)
- 2 billion viewers are expected to tune in for the wedding
- 50 million GBP (British pounds) in revenue, which consumers are expected to spend on paraphernalia and other celebratory favors
- $34 million, the estimated price tag of the big day
- 1.1 million tourists estimated to be visiting London just for the wedding
- 600,000 spectators that are estimated to line the procession streets from Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace
- $398,000, the current estimated value of Middleton's engagement ring
- 28,000 wilted tulips that were cut down in front of Buckingham Palace due to a bout of warm weather that caused the flowers to prematurely bloom
- 10,000 flowers that will be decorating Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey
- 10,000 hot and cold canapes offered to guests at the Queen's lunch reception following the ceremony
- 8,000 security cameras that will be keeping watch at the event
- 5,500 street parties estimated to take place throughout the UK in celebration of the wedding
- 5,000 security personnel on site
- 1,900 guests invited to the Westminster Abbey service
- 1,700 Rich Tea biscuits that have been used to create Prince William's specially requested chocolate "groom's cake"
- 650 guests invited to the Buckingham Palace lunch reception hosted by the Queen
- 300 guests invited to the dinner hosted by Prince Charles
- 187 groomed horses that will march in the procession leading to Buckingham Palace
- 80 tiaras that Middleton had to choose from to wear on her wedding day
- 50 members of the royal family who will be in attendance
- 40 foreign royals who have been invited to the wedding
- 29, the age of Middleton, who is the oldest (non-divorced) bride to ever marry into the royal family
- 18 carats, the weight of Middleton's sapphire engagement ring, which once belonged to the late Princess Diana
- 9 words, the length of Middleton's new title: Her Royal Highness (HRH) the Princess of William of Wales
- 9 years, the length of the royal couple's relationship, which began at the University of St. Andrews in 2001
- 8 bridesmaids and pageboys (plus maid and man of honor) in the bridal party
- 8 trees (six English field maples and two hornbeams) that will reportedly decorate the aisle of Westminster Abbey
- 6 figures, the sum reportedly contributed to the royal wedding by Middleton's parents Carole and Michael
CHELSY'S OUTFITS REVEALED
Kate Middleton's wedding gown was kept tightly under wraps before the big day -- however we did find out in advance what Prince Harry's date would be wearing.
Italian fashion designer Alberta Ferretti revealed that Chelsy Davy is wearing two dresses: one for the ceremony and one for the evening party.
- For the ceremony, she is wearing an "aqua green bias reverse satin dress, along with an aqua green faille silk jacket with a deep boat neck and a knot detail." At night? "A one-shoulder midnight blue crepe satin gown with a cut-out detail on the back."
- Harry and Chelsey have been dating on and off for about six years.
CHECK IT OUT: Sketches of Chelsy's dresses: http://tinyurl.com/5wrs9ne
MISHAPS ON DIANA AND CHARLES' WEDDING DAY (Us Weekly)
A wrinkled dress. Princess Diana (who died in 1997 at age 36) wore an impressively long 25-foot train -- which ended up getting crumpled in transit to St. Paul's Cathedral. As she stepped out of the horse-drawn carriage, her bridesmaids worked hard to shake out the wrinkles. Bridesmaid India Hicks, who was 13 years old at the time, recalls Diana sympathetically whispering "just do your best" to her bridal party.
A pounding headache. According to Diana's brother, Earl Spencer, Di opted to wear the Spencer family heirloom tiara, which ended up giving her a splitting headache on her wedding day.
A crying bridesmaid. Clementine Hambro, granddaughter of Winston Churchill (and the princess's favorite kindergarten student), was just five years old when she was in Diana's wedding party. Hambro tripped and began to cry, to which Diana asked her gently, "did you bump your bottom?"
Dress spies. The creators of Princess Diana's wedding gown had a back-up dress on standby, just in case a photo or news about the guarded garment was released.
CHECK IT OUT: The couple's latest portrait: http://tinyurl.com/5vykdlf
ROYAL WEDDING TRIVIA QUIZ
Q: What mistake did Lady Diana make during her wedding ceremony with Prince Charles?
- A: Lady Diana mixed up the order of Prince Charles' many names -- Charles Philip Arthur George.
Q: What was the subject William and Kate were studying at St. Andrews when they first met in 2001?
- A: William and Kate studied art history at St. Andrews when they first arrived. William later changed to geography.
Q: Prince Phillip was already a royal prince before his marriage to Princess Elizabeth in 1948. In what country was he prince?
- A: Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark was his original title.
Q: This is the second time Prince William has participated in a royal wedding at Westminster Abbey. What was the first occasion?
- A: Prince William was a miniature groomsman in the wedding of his uncle, Prince Andrew, to Sarah Ferguson in 1986.
Q: What is the name of the conveyance that carried Princess Diana to St. Paul's Cathedral for her wedding?
- A: Princess Diana arrived at St. Paul's in the horse-drawn "glass coach."
Q: Which royal couple was married at the Vatican?
- A: Lord Nicholas Windsor, son of the Duke of Kent and the Queen's cousin, married Croatian Paola Doimi de Frankopan at the Vatican in November 2006, with the Queen's blessing.
Q: Which royal couple bonded originally over their devotion to equestrian sports?
- A: Princess Anne and her (former) husband Captain Mark Phillips were dedicated to the horsey sports, a passion handed down to their daughter Zara Phillips.
Q: Which royal couple married when both partners were well past 30?
- A: Prince Edward, the Queen's youngest son, married Sophie Rhys-Jones in 1999, when he was 35 and she was 34.
Q: Who is the taller royal groom -- Prince Philip or Prince William?
- A: Prince William is 6-foot-3, while Prince Philip is approximately 6-foot-2.
Q: In what country did Prince William propose to Kate Middleton?
- A: He proposed while the two were visiting Kenya in October.
Source: The Associated Press
ANN CURRY TO REPLACE MEREDITH VIEIRA? Ann Curry has reportedly been tapped to take over for Meredith Vieira if she leaves the Today show in June, as has been reported. It's been largely reported that Vieira wants to leave the show to spend time with her family. The Hollywood Reporter claims thatNatalie Morales would be elevated to newsreader if Curry becomes Matt Lauer's co-host.
GARY BUSEY IN 'PIRANHA 3DD: Gary Busey has landed a post-Celebrity Apprentice gig. PerezHilton.com reported that the actor has signed on to appear in Piranha 3DD. Production has already started and the film is expected to hit theaters next Thanksgiving.
JANE LYNCH CONFIRMED FOR 'THREE STOOGES': Jane Lynch will star in the upcoming Three Stooges movie opposite Sean Hayes (who will play Larry), Will Sasso (who will play Curly) and Chris Diamantopoulos (who will play Moe). Deadline.com confirmed that Lynch will play Mother Superior, who runs the orphanage where the Stooges grows up, "despite her failed attempts to get them adopted." Production on the comedy begins in May.
PATTI LUPONE GUEST-STARRING ON 'GLEE': Broadway icon Patti LuPone will reportedly guest star on the season finale of Glee, which the cast is currently shooting in New York City. Sources told EW.com that LuPone will share the screen with Lea Michele's character Rachel and Cory Monteith's Finn.
LINDSAY LOHAN EAGER TO START COMMUNITY SERVICE: Lindsay Lohan is eager to begin serving her court-ordered community service. TMZ.com reported that Lohan's attorney Shawn Holleyfiled forms declaring Lindsay's intention to perform 360 hours of community service at the Downtown Women's Center. Although Lindsay reportedly wants to start working this week, sources told TMZ that the organization wants to wait until next week.
BRANDON DAVIS ARRESTED: Oil heir Brandon Davis was arrested on Wednesday (April 27th) night for battery and possession of a controlled substance after allegedly punching Chelsea Lately regular Ben Gleib in the face. TMZ.com reported that prior to the incident, Davis was denied entry to Beacher's Madhouse because of his erratic behavior. When police responded to the physical altercation, they found drugs on him, which sources identified as cocaine.
RENEE ZELLWEGER CELEBRATES 42: Renee Zellweger celebrated her 42nd birthday with a surprise party last weekend. Us Weekly reported that Renee's assistant organized that small gathering for about 15 guests -- including Miramax cofounder Harvey Weinstein, CAA director Bryan Lourd and hotelierAndre Balazs. Zellweger reportedly celebrated again with Balazs earlier this week, but sources say the two are just friends. He was most recently linked to Chelsea Handler.
SUSIE CASTILLO SAYS SHE WAS 'MOLESTED' BY TSA: Former Miss USA Susie Castillo claims she was "molested" during a security check at a Texas airport last week. Castillo, who was also a host of MTV's Total Request Live, released an emotional video in which she detailed her ordeal. She said, "I'm crying because I'm really upset that as an American, I have to go through this. I do feel violated. I feel completely violated."
CASEY ABRAMS ELIMINATED FROM AMERICAN IDOL
Casey Abrams was eliminated on last night's American Idol results show a day after showcasing his growl during a rendition of Carole King's "Hi De Ho (That Old Sweet Roll)." Abrams, who the judges used their only save on last month, found himself standing next to 17-year old Scotty McCreery in the bottom two before Ryan Seacrest read the results. "Honestly, I was happy to make it past the cattle call. The fact that I'm here is 100-gazillion times better than what I expected.," Abrams said during a video montage following his elimination.
Scotty McCreery, Jacob Lusk, Lauren Alaina, James Durbin and Haley Reinhart are the remaining five finalists looking to become the next American Idol.
IS 'TWO AND HALF MEN' COMING BACK?
Chuck Lorre is reportedly working on a plan to continue Two and a Half Men without Charlie Sheen.The Hollywood Reporter claims that if the show does return, Lorre wants to make John Cryer's role bigger and bring a new actor on board in place of Sheen.
Some of the men being considered? Woody Harrelson, Jeremy Piven and Bob Saget.
However, sources told TMZ that there's only a 50 percent chance of the show returning.
- No offers have officially been put on the table, but a decision on the show's future must be made before May 18th.
CHARLIE DONATING MONEY TO INJURED BASEBALL FAN
Sheen announced that he'll donate profits from merchandise sales at his April 30th show in San Francisco to Bryan Stow, the Giants fan beaten on Opening Day in Los Angeles.
CHARLIE GOING TO AUSTRALIA?
Charlie Sheen claims that he's leaving the country after his My Violent Torpedo Of Truth/Death Is Not An Option tour ends.
- He told Australian radio DJ Scott Dooley, "I'm coming to Australia. We're going to go on the radio together. We'll do giveaways. We'll do a TV show. I'll bring some scripts. We'll do some scenes from Two and a Half Men, and, like, show everybody how it should have been done. Dools and Sheen, epic as always."
'INSIDIOUS' IS THE YEAR'S MOST PROFITABLE FILM
Insidious is the most profitable movie of the year, so far. The Hollywood Reporter announced that the horror flick -- which cost just $1.5 million to make -- has already grossed over $50 million worldwide, and is on track to gross $90 million globally.
This is the second time filmmakers Jason Blum, Oren Peli and Steven Schneider have struck gold at the box office. The Insidious producers are also the minds behind Paranormal activity, which grossed $193 on a similarly small budget.
- Another one of the year's most profitable movies? Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, which cost $13 million to produce and has grossed $94.9 million worldwide.
CHECK IT OUT: Most profitable films: http://tinyurl.com/5vc8bhm
MOVIES OPENING TODAY
Opening today (April 29th) is the new horror comedy Dylan Dog: Dead of Night, starring Brandon Routh, Sam Huntington, Taye Diggs and Anita Briem. The film follows Dylan Dog, played by Routh, a world famos private detective who specializes in the affairs of the walking dead, who takes on a new case, to track down a dangerous missing artifact and save the world from a war between werewolves, vampires and zombies.
- Dylan Dog: Dead of Night is rated PG-13 and has a running time of 1 hour and 50 minutes.
Opening today (April 29th) is the newest installment of the Fast & the Furious films, Fast Five, starringPaul Walker, Vin Diesel, Jordana Brewster, Dwayne Johnson, Tyrese Gibson and Chris "Ludacris" Bridges. The film follow ex-cop Brian, played by Walker, and Mia, played by Brewster, who, after breaking Mia's brother Dom, played by Diesel, out of jail, travel to Rio de Janeiro to evade police and do one final job.
- Fast Five is rated PG-13 and has a running time of 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Opening today (April 29th) is the new animated film Hoodwinked Too, with Hayden Panettierre, Patrick Warburton, Joan Cusack, Wayne Newton and Heidi Klum lending their voices. The film follows Red, voiced by Panettierre, who's been away training with a covert ops group known as the Sisters of the Hood. Red gets an urgent call to help the Happily Ever After Agency investigate the disappearance of Hansel and Gretel.
- Hoodwinked Too is rated PG and has a running time of 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Opening today (April 29th) is the new teen comedy Prom, starring Aimee Teegarden, Thomas McDonell, Danielle Campbell and Yin Chang. The film follows intersecting stories of high school seniors as they prepare for their prom.
- Prom is rated PG and has a running time of 1 hour and 45 minutes.
DEATH TOLL NEAR 300 FROM WEDNESDAY'S TORNADOES: The death toll from Wednesday's (April 27th) historic outbreak of tornadoes in the South has risen to at least 297 in six states. More than two-thirds of the deaths were in Alabama, and some of the worst damage was in Tuscaloosa, which is home to the University of Alabama. President Obama will travel to Alabama today (April 29th) to view storm damage and meet with Governor Robert Bentley and devastated families. He's also signed a disaster declaration to provide federal aid for affected people in the state. The death toll is the largest from an outbreak of tornadoes in the U.S. since April 1974, when 315 people were killed by a storm that swept across 13 Southern and Midwestern states.
WIKILEAKS SUSPECT TO BE HELD WITH OTHER INMATES: Army Pfc. Bradley Manning, who's accused of passing large troves of classified U.S. documents to WikiLeaks, has been cleared to be held with other inmates at the Fort Leavenworth military prison in Kansas. Manning was transfered to Fort Leavenworth last week after being held for eight months since his arrest at the Marine Corps brig in Quantico, Virginia, where he was alone in his cell for 23 hours a day. Manning also had to strip and wear a suicide-prevention smock at night. The move to Kansas came in the wake of sustained protests against his conditions of confinement at Quantico by his attorney and supporters, which they charged were inhuman.
COUPLE PLEADS GUILTY TO KIDNAP, RAPE OF JAYCEE DUGARD, HELD FOR 18 YEARS:California husband and wife Phillip and Nancy Garrido pled guilty yesterday (April 28th) to the kidnap and rape of Jaycee Dugard, who was abducted in 1991 when she was 11 and held captive for 18 years. During that time, she gave birth to two children fathered by Garrido, a convicted sex offender. Because of the surprise plea deal, Dugard, who's now 30, and her two teenage daughters won't have to testify during a trial. The Garridos were likely receive life terms is prison when they're sentenced in June.
CBS REPORTER LARA LOGAN TALKS ABOUT SEXUAL ASSAULT BY EGYPTIAN MOB: CBS News correspondent Lara Logan is speaking out about her sexual assault by a mob of men in Egypt who were celebrating in Cairo's Tahrir Square on February 11th, the night that former President Hosni Mubarak stepped down from power. Logan, who returned to work this month, told the New York Timesthat what she estimated to be 200 to 300 men were involved in the attack, which lasted about 25 minutes, during which her clothes were torn to pieces and she was groped and beaten. She said, "For an extended period of time, they raped me with their hands." She explained that the mood in the square had been celebratory, but that just before the assault began, Egyptian colleagues who were with her reporting crew said they all needed to leave, after hearing men nearby talking about wanting to take off Logan's pants. She was just then ripped away from her colleagues, who were helpless to protect her. Logan was finally rescued by a group of Egyptian women and soldiers. She didn't go into more detail about the assault, but told the Times, "What really struck me was how merciless they were. They really enjoyed my pain and suffering. It incited them to more violence."
- Logan will also be speaking about the assault on CBS' 60 Minutes on Sunday (May 1st), but said she doesn't intend to give other interviews about it after that.
ANTI-CHINA TRUMP HAS CLOTHING LINE MADE IN CHINA: Although Donald Trump has focused his public statements in the past few weeks as he's been weighing a potential run for president on questioning whether President Obama was born in the United States, when he has talked about issues, one of the main ones has been bashing China. That's not a new issue for him, as he has in recent years slammed the Communist country for things including undervaluing its currency and taking American manufacturing and jobs. However, Salon reported Wednesday (April 27th) that some of the clothing in the Donald J. Trump Signature Collection clothing line is made in China. Trump has said Americans shouldn't buy goods made in China, so CNN's John King asked him about his clothing line in an interview Wednesday. Trump contended, however, that he has no choice but to do business with China because, quote, "so many products are not even made in the United States any longer."
CONDI RICE REBUFFS RUMSFELD CRITICISM: Former Secretary of State and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice has responded for the first time to criticism of her by former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld in his recent book, Known and Unknown. Answering questions for the New York Times Magazine, Rice responded to Rumsfeld's claim that she, quote, "almost never wanted" to dissent with then-President George W. Bush by saying, "He doesn't know what he's talking about." She continued, "I don't think he was ever in the room with the president and me when I would follow the president from a national security meeting and tell him precisely what was going on in that room. We tended to do it privately." She also responded to more personal jabs made by Rumsfeld, basically that she was unfit for office, saying, "First of all, I didn't have modest experience in management. Managing Stanford University is not so easy. But I don't know what Don was trying to say, and it really doesn't matter. Don can be a grumpy guy. We all know that."
STANFORD VOTES TO END FOUR-DECADE-OLD BAN ON ROTC: Stanford University has become the latest elite school to welcome ROTC back to campus for the first time since the Vietnam War era. Stanford's Faculty Senate voted Thursday (April 28th) to allow ROTC's return, one week after a campus committee made the same recommendation. ROTC was banned from Stanford in 1973, during the height of the anti-war sentiment on college campuses. It had been kept off campus in more recent years because of the "don't ask, don't tell" ban on gays serving openly in the military. Since Congress voted in December to repeal the ban, some schools have been welcoming ROTC back, including Harvard, Columbia, and now Stanford. Stanford's approval did, however, come with an addendum of opposition to the military's exclusion of transgender and medically disabled people.
FIRST LADY HOSTS CHILDREN FOR 'TAKE YOUR CHILDREN TO WORK' DAY: First LadyMichelle Obama took dozens of questions yesterday (April 28th) from about 200 children of White House employees as part of the annual Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day. Among their questions, Mrs. Obama was asked about some of her favorites, and she revealed lavender is her favorite color, tennis is her favorite sport to play, and Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon is one of her favorite books. She said that her hobbies include exercising, talking with daughters Malia and Sasha, and going to their soccer and lacrosse games on the weekends. The first lady also told the children that the Obamas' dog, Bo, goes with the head gardener and National Park Service workers every morning as they head out to take care of the plants, saying, "I think he thinks he has a job because he takes it very seriously."
NEWTON CHOSEN FIRST IN NFL DRAFT: Auburn quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton was chosen first in the NFL draft last night (April 28th), as expected, by the Carolina Panthers. Newton had led Auburn to an undefeated season and its first national championship since 1957. In the other top picks:
- The Denver Broncos went second, choosing Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller.
- The Buffalo Bills made the third pick with Alabama nose tackle Marcell Dareus.
- The Cincinnati Bengals chose receiver A.J. Green of Georgia.
- The Arizona Cardinals selected cornerback Patrick Peterson of LSU.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell faced the wrath of the fans at New York City's Radio City Music Hall for the draft amid the ongoing legal battle between owners and players and uncertainly about the upcoming NFL season. Goodell was repeatedly booed whenever he came on stage; he simply smiled in response, and when fans chanted, "We want football!," he answered, "I hear you. So do I."
NFL SAYS WORK CAN RESUME: The NFL has said that basic football operations can begin again today (April 29th), five days after a federal judge ruled the lockout was illegal. That means players can work out at team facilities and talk with coaches. The NFL is also expected today to release guidelines for free agency, trades and other roster moves in the absence of a collective bargaining agreement. The previous one expired on March 11th, after which the players' union disbanded to allow for a court battle and the owners locked out the players. The league, however, has appealed the judge's ruling, and if they win, the lockout will be put back in place.
LAKERS ADVANCE TO SECOND ROUND OF NBA PLAYOFFS: The Los Angeles Lakers advanced to the second round of the NBA playoffs last night (April 28th), beating the New Orleans Hornets 98-80 to win their first round series 4 games to 2. The Lakers are trying to win a third straight NBA title.
(Headline News, FYI and Sports stories were compiled in part from reports by the Associated Press and Reuters.)
ON THE TUBE TODAY
- THE ROYAL WEDDING: MODERN MAJESTY - Highlights of the event.
- CSI: NY - The team investigates after a woman falls victim to a serial killer; an ex-con starts stalking Mac's ex-partner (Peter Fonda).
- BLUE BLOODS - Frank becomes frustrated when a tourist's murder is sensationalized in the media.
- FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS - Coach Taylor has difficulty disciplining his players; Buddy gets some disturbing news.
- DATELINE NBC - Reports from London include behind the scenes coverage of the royal wedding.
- KITCHEN NIGHTMARES - Chef Ramsay tries to help a struggling eatery in Sherman Oaks, California.
- FRINGE - Olivia teams up with Sam Weiss in a desperate race against time.
- SHARK TANK - A former athlete believes his product can save lives; an update on the Body Jac.
- 20/20 - Special Edition, A Modern Fairytale: a look back at the much watched wedding
- SMALLVILLE - Tess finds proof that someone has gained access to the Phantom Zone's escape portal.
- SUPERNATURAL - Sam, Dean, Castiel and Bobby find Eve in a small town where the citizens have been converted to demons.
DAY TIME TALK SHOW
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW - Orlando Bloom, Josh Groban
THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW - Oprah's Royal Wedding Party
THE VIEW - guest co-host Goldie Hawn
LATE NIGHT TALK SHOWS
THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN (CBS) - John Krasinski, Brian Kiley, Steve Earle
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO (NBC) - Rob Lowe, Moby
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE (ABC) - (repeat)
THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG FERGUSON (CBS) - Bob Saget, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON (NBC) - Eva Mendes, Aretha Franklin
LAST CALL WITH CARSON DALY (NBC) - David Sirota, Exporting Raymond, Mona
OFF BEAT BREIFS.....
MAN IN COW SUIT STEALS MILK: A man in Garrisonville, Virginia has been accused of stealing 26 gallons of milk from a Waymart. A sheriff's spokesman said witnesses saw the man taking the milk jugs outside to give them away to passersby. Authorities inadvertently caught up with the suspect at a McDonalds while responding to a disturbance call. An 18-year-old man on the scene matched the description of the milk thief and police found a cow suit in his car. (UPI)
TEACHER ARRESTED FOR WALKING HALLS NUDE: A teacher who found out he was losing his job said he reached a "new level of enlightenment" that made him walk the school hallways naked -- after the children had all gone home. When 31-year-old Harland Porter found out last Friday (April 22nd) that his contract would not be renewed at the end of the school year he reportedly began to act strange. His colleagues told Police that he was seen eating tacos from Taco Bell even though he was a known vegan. When Porter was confronted by a police officer at the school, he told the policeman about his new enlightenment and explained that he "wanted everybody to be free now that his third eye was open." The officer noted in the report, "I then explained the obvious problem with his third eye being opened in public. He readily agreed that his decision to remove his clothing posed a problem and stated that he understood why I would likely have to place him under arrest." (UPI)
BOY CALLS POLICE AFTER SANDBOX FIGHT: A 7-year-old boy in Sweden called an emergency number to report that another kid had hit him as they played in the sandbox. After speaking with the boy, police told him to discuss the incident with his parents and decided against sending a policeman to investigate. A spokesman for the police said, "If it doesn't work out, the parents are more than welcome to contact us." (AP)
MAN ARRESTED FOR SINGING 'KUNG FU FIGHTING': A 34-year-old bar performer in Sandown, England was arrested after singing the song "Kung Fu Fighting" in front of two Chinese people. Simon Ledger usually includes the song in his set when he performs at the bar but after he noticed a Chinese man and his mother walk by, he reportedly made gestures at them and took a picture on his phone. The singer told reporters, "People of all races were loving it, Chinese people have never been offended before." Ledger says that he was later phoned by police and arrested. He was questioned and released on bail. A police spokesman said that they are investigating Ledger's alleged "racially-aggravated harassment" of the couple.(Daily Telegraph)
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW....
EVERYONE LOVES THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS: A new survey found that 65% of respondents said that the "little black dress" is the best surviving style icon of the past century. (Daily Mail)
Among the other notables?
Little black dress (64%)
Coca-Cola bottle (60%)
Dinner suit and black tie (54%)
Chanel No 5 (47%)
Pin-stripe suit (31%)
POWERFUL PEOPLE MORE LIKELY TO CHEAT: Scientists believe that powerful people are more likely to have affairs -- whether they are male or female. A team of researchers conducted an anonymous Internet survey of 1,561 adults - the bonus of an online study being that respondents are far more likely to answer truthfully. The study revealed two key discoveries to why powerful people cheat. First, there is a strong association between power and confidence, and the amount of confidence a person has is the strongest link between power and unfaithfulness. Second, the researchers found that among powerful people, gender made no difference in past digressions or the participants' desires to cheat. The study pointed out that we as a society do not hear about more women cheating because there simply aren't as many women in positions of power as their male counterparts. (Telegraph)
MORE ANOREXICS BORN IN SPRING? Researchers believe that people born in the spring are more likely to suffer from anorexia. The largest study of its kind provides 'clear evidence' that the season of birth -- and therefore the season when babies are conceived -- affects the chances of getting the eating disorder. Possible factors include exposure to viruses and other infections while in the womb, sunshine levels and the mother's eating habits. Oxford University researchers found an excess of anorexia births between March and June, and the least from September to October. (Fox News)
WEDDING DON'TS (AskMen.com)
Don't keep clinking your glass: It can become disruptive and tiresome when guests repeatedly clink their glasses with their forks to get the bride and groom to kiss.
Don't get hammered: No matter how much champagne is flowing in the fountain or how good the shooters taste, never over-imbibe at a wedding. You'll risk having your friendship with the groom quickly terminated by his new wife.
Don't disrobe: Keep your clothes on. If you feel hot or uncomfortable, take off your jacket and loosen up your tie at the reception, but only after several other men have done so. No matter how jiggy you get on the dance floor, keep your shirt tucked in. Avoid looking like a mess with your sleeves fully rolled up and your shirt unbuttoned
Don't go crazy at the buffet: Your hosts will want all their guests to enjoy the food but, if there's a buffet, avoid being the first one at the dinner or dessert table. Be discreet and don't walk around with a pile of food on your plate, or worse, two plates. And need I remind you not to take food home?
Don't crowd the newlyweds: There may be a "receiving line" where everyone greets the bride and groom, or they may make their way to each table throughout the evening. If not, offer your congratulations when they look unoccupied.
Don't make song requests: The couple usually gives the DJ or band a set playlist, so don't beg the DJ to play "Stairway to Heaven."
Don't create a spectacle: If your wife or girlfriend gets inebriated and/or mad at you and walks out, follow her out quietly. If the romance of the occasion overcomes you both, go home -- not to a secluded spot behind the potted plants. And someone else's wedding is not the time to propose to your girlfriend. In short, never do anything that will remove the focus from the bride and groom.
after the wedding
WARNING SIGNS FOR COMMON AWKWARD MOMENTS (Cracked.com)
- Your chair makes a fart noise. You're not among friends.
- When the meal you're ordering has an embarrassingly awful name.
- You're lost in thought, and when you come out of it, you realize you've been staring blankly at a stranger the whole time.
- Telling a story you remember as your own, only it turns out it actually happened to the person you're telling it to.
- You order "the usual," the server has no idea what you're talking about.
- Saying goodbye and then walking in the same direction.
- You go for a hug, he goes for a handshake.
- Cheering wildly because you don't realize it's the instant replay of a play you just saw.
- You pretended you were listening and now you realize a response is required.
- Being asked to repeat a witticism because no one heard what you said.