Loading the shauna-shuttle up with equipment, games, prizes and heading for The Turtle at The Nautical in Havasu. Party Turtle-Style 5-7pm! $2 Bud and Bud Light, $3 Jagerbombs, Yummy $1 Hot Dogs and Tons of goodies for YOU Bring the family, take a swim in the lake and come play with ME! Can't wait to see y'all there!
HOW TO FOLD, THE RED, WHITE AND BLUE
From the American Legion Auxiliary:
- Fold your flag in half lengthwise, out of respect, avoid placing it on the ground or any other surface.
- Fold it lengthwise a second time, making sure the stars on the blue field aka the "union" remain outward.
- Make a small triangular fold by bringing the bottom right corner up to meet the top edge.
- Continue folding triangles until only the blue shows. Tuck left corner into the fold of the finished triangle.
- The finished flag should resemble a cocked three-corner hat in honor of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- we will do it agin in the
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
Taylor Swift leads the country music pack at the 2011 Teen Choice Awards with five nominations, it was announced yesterday (Wednesday, June 29th). In addition to nods for Female Country Artist and Country Single for "Mean," Taylor was included in the overall categories for Choice Music: Love Song for "Mine"; Choice Break-Up Song for "Back to December"; and Choice Red Carpet Fashion Icon: Female.
The Teen Choice Awards will air on the FOX network on August 7th at 8 p.m. ET.
Here is the complete list of country nominees:
Choice Music: Male Country Artist
Choice Music: Female Country Artist
Choice Music: Country Single
"If I Die Young," The Band Perry
"Country Girl (Shake It for Me)," Luke Bryan
"Just a Kiss," Lady Antebellum
"Honey Bee," Blake Shelton
"Mean," Taylor Swift
Choice Music: Country Group
The Band Perry
Little Big Town
- Fan voting is underway at teenchoiceawards.com.
- The Teen Choice Awards began back in 1999 and are voted on by teens ages 13-19.
Craig Morgan was filming an episode of the new season of his Outdoor Channel show, calledCraig Morgan All Access Outdoors, when he learned of a family emergency. According to The Boot, Craig was in a snowstorm hunting deer when he learned his daughter's home was being invaded by a gunman.
Craig said, "I got a phone call that my daughter's house in Arkansas had been broken into. She was in the house and there was a gunman in the house. That was real life stuff. That was happening as we were filming. I freaked out! I was in the blind and didn't know it was happening at first, and my wife was texting me: 'Call me!'"
Craig says that he taught his kids about the safe handling of firearms since they were little, so his daughter was ready when the unfortunate situation unfolded. The gunman never made it into her bedroom, where Craig's daughter sat waiting with her loaded weapon. The intruder was caught without incident.
Craig said, "Everything turned out just fine, thank goodness. My daughter was smart enough to go in her bedroom and lock herself up, and she had a pistol, so she was waiting if he came through. Thank goodness he didn't, because she would have had to have shot him. And her biggest thing was she would've felt bad, because she knows that she would've had to talk to someone and they would've asked her if she felt bad about it, and she would have had to say NO! (laughs) And they would've thought she was crazy. He added, "I'm very fortunate I live in the country where my daughter has a right to have a pistol to protect herself. That's the way we looked at it."
- Craig Morgan All Access Outdoors airs on Saturdays at 11 a.m. ET on the Outdoor Channel.
- Craig is set to host his 5th annual Charity Ride on August 6th and 7th in his hometown of Dickson, Tennessee to benefit Billy's Place, a home for temporarily displaced children. The two-day event will include a celebrity dirt bike ride and exhibition and lunch followed by a Sport Clay Event and Concert put on by Craig and friends on August 7th.
- Craig recently inked a deal with Nashville-based indie label Black River Music Group.
- He plans to release a new album later this year.
Sara Evans is one of the special guests on Rascal Flatts' first Flatts Fest, which is currently underway. Sara did a handful of dates last year with the trio, and she tells us she learned a few things about Gary, Jay and Joe Don. "I know that I don't use as much hair care product as they do, because my hair is just long and straight, and that's all I do, and I'm very, very low maintenance. And I don't even like to let my hair girl curl my hair, 'cause I just. . . I don't like all the big fluff. I think less is more. So...but I know where to go if I need hairspray or gel." (laughs)]
- Flatts Fest is taking a break through the Fourth of July holiday. The trek resumes on July 8th in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
- Sara is climbing the charts with her re-make of the Rod Stewart classic, "My Heart Can't Tell You No."
CHECK IT OUT
Wynonna Judd will be performing at the 29th Annual Independence Day Concert on Friday (July 1st) in Warner Robins, Georgia. She will be joined by CNN Headline News morning show anchor Robin Meade, who recently released her debut country album, and the Emmy-nominated U.S. Air Force Reserve Band.
The free show will start at 8 p.m. with the singing of the National Anthem and an F-15 fighter jet fly over at McConnell-Talbert Stadium and will conclude with a celebratory fireworks show. The annual event is expected to draw upwards of 30,000 people.
The show will be taped and broadcast on the Fourth of July on American Forces Network, a television broadcast network that serves American service men and women and their families stationed at bases overseas.
Wynonna will appear on CNN Headline News' Morning Express with Robin Meade today (Thursday, June 30th) during the 8 a.m. hour. General Charles Stenner and war hero Staff Sergeant Warren will also be on hand to discuss the importance of the upcoming Independence Day celebration.
- Earlier this week, Wynonna spent some time doing karaoke with the ACM Lifting Live Music campers in Nashville. The camp is for developmentally challenged individuals.
Justin Moore's brand new CD, Outlaws Like Me, debuted at Number One on the country sales chart. First week sales of the album surpassed 65,000 copies, according to the label.
Just in time for Independence Day, fans can have a free download of Gloriana's "Soldier Song" exclusively through Facebook from today (Thursday, June 30th) through July 7th. Photos of friends and family submitted by fans will be featured in the video for "Soldier Song". The clip will be featured on Gloriana's Facebook page.
Q. Who did Keith Urban originally pair with for his first CMT Crossroads episode?
A. John Fogerty
ON THE TUBE
SUGARLAND'S INCREDIBLE MACHINE/GAC 10:00AM, 6:30PM (ET)
MY MUSIC MIX: LADY ANTEBELLUM/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
CONVERSATIONS FROM THE ROAD 2011: KEITH URBAN/ GAC 9:30PM (ET)
Vincent D'Onofrio (actor, Ed Wood, Men In Black, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Full Metal Jacket, Mystic Pizza) (52)
- David Alan Grier (actor and comedian, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka) (55, some sources say 56)
- Mike Tyson (ear-biting former heavyweight boxing champ and ex-con) (45)
- Stanley Clarke (jazz fusion bass pioneer) (60)
- Fantasia Barrino (American Idol winner) (27)
- Matisyahu (Hasidic Jewish reggae rapper) (32)
- Monica Potter (actress, Parenthood, The Last House on the Left, Con Air, Patch Adams, Head Over Heels, Along Came A Spider, Saw) (40)
- Michael Phelps (swimmer, has won 14 gold Olympic medals, the most by any Olympian) (26)
- Hal Lindes (guitarist, Dire Straits) (58)
DAVID DUCHOVNY AND TEA LEONI: David Duchovny and Tea Leoni have separated for the second time. The couple briefly split in 2008 -- the same year that Duchovny entered a rehabilitation center to be treated for sex addiction. The two have been married since 1997 and have a 12-year-old daughter and a nine-year-old son.
EMILY MAYNARD AND BRAD WOMACK: Emily Maynard and Brad Womack have finally confirmed that they've split. Although their breakup was reported a month ago, Emily just now admitted to Peoplemagazine that "We're no longer engaged." Emily says she went public with the relationship status because she wants to put an end to "all the media speculation" so that she and her daughter, "can move on and get back to normal." Maynard taped an interview with Bachelor host Chris Harrison that will air during the July 11 episode of The Bachelorette.
JONNY FAIRPLAY AND MICHELLE DEIGHTON: Survivor's Jonny Fairplay and America's Next Top Model's Michelle Deighton have reportedly ended their marriage. Fairplay told TMZ that Michelle recently walked out and took their three-year-old daughter with her. He claims she didn't give a reason for leaving, just saying that she just doesn't want to be with him anymore. Jonny -- real name Jon Dalton -- said that he's already filed for legal separation in North Carolina, and plans to fight for full custody of their daughter.
SCARLET JOHANSSON JOINS NEW MUSICAL: Scarlett Johansson has signed on to star in a new musical project from director-writer John Carney. PerezHilton.com reported that the story is centered of Scarlett's character, a young singer-songwriter, who moves to New York and meets an A&R man who has lost his way. Jim Carrey and Mark Ruffalo are reportedly in talks for the male lead.
MARTIN SHORT JOINS 'HIMYM': Martin Short is joining the cast of How I Met Your Mother in a recurring role. New York magazine reported that the comedian will play the boss of an environmental law firm where Jason Segel's character Marshall Eriksen works. The magazine claims that producers initially wanted Dave Foley for the role -- but he was unavailable since his sitcom pilot, How to Be a Gentleman, was picked up by CBS.
'THE VOICE' TOUR DATES ANNOUNCED: The top eight contestants from The Voice will be hitting the road for the show's summer tour. The shows will kick off on July 27th in Los Angeles and hit at least six cities. The confirmed dates are as follows:
- July 27 - Los Angeles - Gibson Amphitheatre
- July 30 - Las Vegas - MGM Grand Garden Arena
- August 2 - Chicago - Rosemont Theatre
- August 4 - Boston - Bank of America Pavilion
- August 5 - Wallingford, Conn. - Toyota Presents Oakdale Theatre
- August 6 - New York City - Beacon Theatre
'REAL WORLD' ALUM ARRESTED: Former Real World star David "Puck" Rainey was arrested earlier this month on domestic violence charges. TMZ reported that 42-year-old Puck -- the troublemaker from the show's San Francisco season -- was arrested on June 19 on suspicion of felony corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant. He's being held on $30,000 bail and is expected to face a judge on July 6th.
IS TERESA PREGNANT? Teresa Giudice from The Real Housewives Of New Jersey is reportedly pregnant with her fifth child. And this time -- In Touch Weekly claims that the mother of four daughters is expecting a boy. However, the tabloid claims that the happy announcement is being dampened by news that Teresa's husband Joe is facing prison time for fraud.
SHIA LABEOUF STEPS OUT WITH GIRLFRIEND: Forget Megan Fox. The same day as Shia LaBeouf's fling with his former Transformers costar became public news, the actor was spotted walking hand-in-hand with his current girlfriend Karolyn Pho. Us Weekly reported that the actor was first spotted with Pho, a stylist, last December.
STEVEN TYLER AND RANDY JACKSON RETURNING TO 'AMERICAN IDOL'
Randy Jackson and Steven Tyler will be returning to American Idol next season. The news isn't much of a surprise considering that Tyler signed on for multiple seasons before joining the show last year -- and Randy recently told George Lopez that the whole panel would be back.
Despite Randy's claim -- Jennifer Lopez's participation is uncertain. She recently told the BBC, "I haven't been forced to make a decision [about returning to the show] and I'm glad about that. I loved it, but I have a lot of other things happening and it's going to come down to me making a choice of what I want to do for the next year."
- Lopez might be too busy capitalizing on the career resurgence she gained from Idol to stick with the series. She has several projects in the works, including a Latin singing competition show with husband Marc Anthony.
ELISABETTA CANALIS IS 'DOWN IN THE DUMPS' AFTER GEORGE CLOONEY SPLIT
Elisabetta Canalis's parents say that the Italian model has been "down in the dumps" since splitting fromGeorge Clooney earlier this month. The 32-year-old's mother Bruna told the Italian edition of Vanity Fair, "I've spoken to her, and she is very sad, but these things happen."
Dad Cesare apparently doesn't hold any ill will against Clooney for apparently breaking his daughter's heart. He said, "He is a nice guy, good fun." Clooney first met the parents in Sardinia last year. Cesare said of the trip, "We had a good time, but there was a lot of attention and we are not used to it."
Despite the unwanted media presence that came along with Clooney, Cesare expressed regret that the movie star won't be joining the family. He mused, "He certainly would have made a good son-in-law, but it's my daughter who has to decide."
- The magazine also reported that Elisabetta was recently spotted at George's home clearing out her belongings. According to a witness, "She had her dog with her and was smoking a lot."
CHECK IT OUT: How to get over a breakup: http://tinyurl.com/32kqx5a
CHARLIE SHEEN SAYS HE TOOK STEROIDS
Charlie Sheen confessed that he used steroids while he was shooting the baseball movie, Major League. The actor told Sports Illustrated that he used the drugs to improve his on-set pitching skills -- but stopped after about two months because his temper became out of control.
He told the magazine, "Let's just say that I was enhancing my performance a little bit. It was the only time I ever did steroids. I did them for like six or eight weeks. You can print this, I don't give a f***. My fastball went from 79 (miles-per-hour) to like 85."
- Sheen says that he was a gifted baseball player even before the steroids. He bragged, "I had a great arm. I was just born with it. I played at Santa Monica High, but because of academic s***, they pulled me off the team."
CHECK IT OUT: Side effects of steroids: http://tinyurl.com/bgmvfl
TIA MOWRY AND CORY HARDRICT GUSH OVER NEW BABY
Actress Tia Mowry and husband, actor Cory Hardrict welcomed a healthy 8-pound baby boy in L.A. on Tuesday (June 28th). According to UsWeekly, Tia, 32, is happy to finally be a mom. She said, "I never knew how much love I could feel for someone. I feel that my life has just now begun."
Cory, 31, said, "Tia and I are so excited for this beautiful blessing we brought into the world today, we both have tears of joy!"
- Tia's pregnancy will be documented on her reality show Tia and Tamera -- which will debut in August on The Style Network.
CHECK IT OUT
ROYAL GOSSIP NEWS
PIPPA AND ALEX REUNITE AT WIMBLEDON: Despite their recently-reported split, Pippa Middletonand Alex Loudon showed up to Wimbledon together on Wednesday (June 29th). The two had their arms around one another and "exchanged flirty smiles and chit-chat" as they watched the matches.
- Just weeks ago, sources close to the pair confirmed that they had decided to take a "permanent break," with the hope to "stay friends in a dignified manner."
KATE MIDDLETON RELATED TO JANE AUSTEN: Kate Middleton is distantly related to Jane Austen. Ancestry.com discovered that the Duchess of Cambridge and the author are eleventh cousins, six times removed. Historian Anastasia Harman said of the discovery, "Finding this connection between the Duchess of Cambridge and Jane Austen is very exciting since, in many ways, Catherine is the modern Jane Austen heroine: a middle-class girl marrying the future King of England."
DOES PRINCE HARRY HAVE A SECRET GIRLFRIEND? Prince Harry claims to be "100% single" -- however the Daily Mail is reporting that he has a secret girlfriend. According to the British tabloid, Harry has been seeing a lingerie and swimwear model named Florence Brudenell-Bruce. All we know about Florence so far is that she has a history of art degree from Bristol University, and is "a lot of fun, blonde and very good-looking."
JAVIER COLON WINS 'THE VOICE'
Javier Colon beat out Dia Frampton and was crowned the winner of NBC's singing competition, The Voice on Wednesday (June 29). Host Carson Daly said the the vote was so close that only 2 percent separated Colon and Frampton. Colon took home a $100,000 prize and a recording contract.
OBAMA CRITICAL OF REPUBLICANS ON DEBT CEILING TALKS: President Obama was critical yesterday (June 29th) of the behavior of congressional Republicans in the negotiations over raising the debt ceiling, saying in an hour-long news conference that tax increases must be part of the deal to cut the national deficit in addition to spending cuts. Obama slammed Republicans for refusing to agree to any tax increases, charging they were putting millionaires ahead of ordinary Americans. He said of Republicans, "They need to do their job. Now's the time to go ahead and make the tough choices." The Treasury Department, as well as ratings agencies, economists and the International Monetary Fund, have warned of dire consequences for the U.S. -- and global -- economy if there is no vote to raise the debt ceiling by August 2nd and the U.S. goes into default.
APPEALS COURT UPHOLDS HEALTH CARE LAW: The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati yesterday (June 29th) upheld the health care overhaul backed by President Obama that became law last year, in the first ruling on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) by a federal appeals court. A judge appointed by Republican former President George W. Bush sided with one appointed by a Democrat in the 2-1 ruling by the three-judge panel that said the federal government can constitutionally mandate that everyone carry health insurance or pay a fine. It's believed the legal fight over ACA will eventually wind up before the Supreme Court.
CASEY ANTHONY'S FATHER BREAKS DOWN ON THE STAND: Casey Anthony's father broke into tears Wednesday (June 29th) on the witness stand in his daughter's Florida murder trial while talking about his suicide attempt some six weeks after his granddaughter's body was found. George Anthony wrote in a January 2009 suicide note that he had unanswered questions about what happened to his granddaughter, Caylee, and never alluded to knowing what caused her death. Defense attorneys have claimed Caylee drowned in her grandparents' backyard pool and that George Anthony disposed of the body, while the prosecution charges Casey murdered her daughter, suffocating her with duct tape. Under questioning, George Anthony said he tried to overdose on pills because, quote, "I needed at that time to go be with Caylee because I knew I failed her." The defense said it should rest its case sometime today. Still unknown is whether Casey Anthony will take the stand.
STUDY: U.N. PEACEKEEPERS LIKELY BROUGHT CHOLERA TO HAITI: A new study from a team of epidemiologists and physicians "strongly suggests" that U.N. peacekeepers from Nepal brought a deadly cholera strain to Haiti last year in the wake of the devastating January earthquake. The disease has killed more than 5,500 people and made hundreds of thousands sick since being discovered last October. The study results suggest that contamination of the Artibonite River and one of its tributaries downstream from a military camp triggered the epidemic. It cites, quote, "an exact correlation" in time and place between the arrival of a Nepalese battalion from an area of its country that had been experiencing a cholera outbreak and the appearance of the first cases a few days later.
NEARLY THREE IN FOUR BACK OBAMA ON REDUCING FORCES IN AFGHANISTAN: A new Gallup poll found that nearly three in four Americans support President Obama's recently-announced decision to start withdrawing U.S. forces from Afghanistan. But while 72 percent want us to start pulling out of the country after nearly 10 years of war, there is a more of a division over the speed of the withdrawal. Of those polled, 43 percent said they agree with Obama's announced number of troops to be pulled out, while 29 percent think it's too low and 19 percent think it's too high. Obama announced last week that 33,000 U.S. troops will leave Afghanistan by September 2012, 10,000 of them by the end of this year. The remaining 68,000 U.S. forces will leave by 2014.
EXPERTS QUESTION AMANDA KNOX DNA EVIDENCE: Independent experts are challenging much of the forensic evidence used against American Amanda Knox in her Italian murder trial, saying in a report Wednesday (June 29th) that was obtained by the Associated Press that some of the DNA may have been contaminated and the results unreliable. The review had been requested by the defense, and its conclusions could boost Knox's chances of overturning her 2009 conviction for the murder of her roommate while both were exchange students in Italy. Her co-defendant and ex-boyfriend, ItalianRaffaele Sollecito, was also found guilty of murder. Both have denied their guilt and are appealing. The two Italian experts appointed by the court submitted their report and will present it in court in the city of Perugia next month. In it, they question DNA said to belong to Knox that was found on the handle of a kitchen knife believed to be the murder weapon, the victim's DNA that was claimed to have been found on the blade, and Sollecito's claimed DNA on the clasp of the victim's bra.
STUDY: SCANS CUT LUNG CANCER DEATHS BY 20 PERCENT: Low-dose CT screening scans of current or former heavy smokers cut lung cancer deaths by 20 percent compared to chest X-ray screening by identifying tumors early, according to a U.S. study out Wednesday (June 29th). The nearly decade-long National Lung Screening Trial involved more than 53,000 patients at a high risk of developing lung cancer after having smoked at least a pack a day for a minimum of 30 years. It is the first to show that screening using the low-dose screening called celical computed tomography can reduce lung cancer deaths.
MYSPACE SOLD FOR $35 MILLION: News Corp has sold MySpace for just $35 million, six years after the Rupert Murdoch-owned company paid $580 million for the once-hot social networking site that has more recently been bleeding money. Advertising company Specific Media is teaming up with singerJustin Timberlake in the deal that allows News Corp. to retain a minority stake. According to Specific Media, Timberlake will play a major role in developing strategy for MySpace. At its peak in 2008, MySpace attracted nearly 80 million visitors in the U.S., almost double that of Facebook. But Facebook quickly zoomed past MySpace, and is now the country's -- and world's -- dominant social networking site.
ARIZONA WOMAN ATTACKED BY BEAR AT COUNTRY CLUB: A 61-year-old woman was seriously wounded in a rare bear attack late Tuesday (June 28th) while she was walking her dog at a country club in northeastern Arizona. Lana Rae Hollingsworth was listed in critical condition late Wednesday after undergoing surgery for her injuries. The 250-pound black bear mauled Hollingsworth three separate times before it ran away from near where it had been scavenging for food in a dumpster. It was later caught and killed.
FEDERER UPSET BY TSONGA IN WIMBLEDON QUARTERFINALS: Third-seeded Roger Federerwas upset in the quarterfinals at Wimbledon Wednesday (June 29th), falling to 12th-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France 3-6, 6-7 (3), 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 despite winning the first two sets. This is the second year in a row that Federer has exited Wimbledon in the quarterfinals after reaching the finals for the previous seven years. The favorites all advanced in the other quarterfinal games yesterday, with defending champion and top seed Rafael Nadal defeating 10th-seeded Mardy Fish of the U.S. 6-3, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4; second-seededNovak Djokovic downing qualifier Bernard Tomic of Australia 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5; and Britain's fourth-seeded Andy Murray topping unseeded Feliciano Lopez of Spain 6-3, 6-4, 6-4.
(Headline News, FYI and Sports stories were compiled in part from reports by the Associated Press and Reuters.)
ON THE TUBE TODAY
- THE BIG BANG THEORY (repeat)
- RULES OF ENGAGEMENT (repeat)
- CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION (repeat)
- THE MENTALIST (repeat)
- COMMUNITY (repeat)
- 30 ROCK (repeat)
- THE OFFICE (repeat)
- PARKS AND RECREATION (repeat)
- LOVE BITES - A man (Beau Bridges) tries to console his son after a breakup; Colleen and Judd think they have found the perfect house.
- SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE - Two more contestants are eliminated; AXIS Dance Company performs.
- GLEE (repeat)
- WIPEOUT - Contestants face the Mood Swing, the Scareousel and the Super Tramp.
- EXPEDITION IMPOSSIBLE - The teams must tame spirited horses and kayak down a river before facing another challenge.
- ROOKIE BLUE - Andy and Gail go under cover at a drug riddled club; Andy opens up to Sam.
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (repeat)
- NIKITA (repeat)
- THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF NEW YORK CITY - Sonja tries to get her life back on track; Ramona throws a surprise party.
- WILFRED - Ryan betrays Wilfred's trust to gain favor with Jenna and finds an unexpected secret out about her.
- LOUIE - Louie has two memorable experiences.
- BURN NOTICE - TBA
- SUITS - TBA
DAY TIME TALK SHOW
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW - (repeat)
THE VIEW - (repeat)
LATE NIGHT TALK SHOWS
THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN (CBS) - Julia Roberts, Cake
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO (NBC) - (repeat)
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE (ABC) - Shia LaBeouf, Aaron Rogers, 311
THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG FERGUSON (CBS) - Henry Winkler, Mike Massismino
LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON (NBC) - (repeat)
LAST CALL WITH CARSON DALY (NBC) - (repeat)
THE DAILY SHOW WITH JON STEWART (COMEDY CENTRAL) - Bill Kristol
THE COLBERT REPORT (COMEDY CENTRAL) - Timothy Garton Ash
CONAN - Tom Hanks, Myron Mixon
LOPEZ TONIGHT - Patrick Dempsey, Tom Papa, David Cook
OFF BEAT BREIFS.....
WEDDING CEREMONY MOVED TO HOSPITAL AFTER GROOM FALLS DOWN STAIRS: A Pennsylvania bride and groom who were set to get married on Saturday (June 25th) had a last minute venue change after the groom fell down a flight of stairs, breaking three ribs. Cassy and Derek McBride decided to move their wedding ceremony to the hospital where Derek was diagnosed with a punctured lung as well. Derek was pushed down the aisle of the Saint Vincent Health Center chapel in a wheelchair, wearing a tuxedo jacket over his hospital gown. He told reporters, "We only had a half-hour. It turned out beautiful." (Eerie Times)
BOY NEEDED EMERGENCY ROOM HELP TO REMOVE MOTH FROM EAR: A 12-year-old boy in Colorado had to be taken to the emergency room to remove a moth from his ear. Wade Schlote said the pain from the insect being inside his ear was so intense he was "screaming and crying." His mother Kathy tried washing the moth out with no luck so she decided to get professional help at the hospital. After a few failed attempts at getting the moth out by drowning it and irrigating it, doctors finally reached into the boy's ear and pulled it out with tweezers. Wade said that the moth was still alive and started flying around. (UPI)
TURTLES CAUSE DELAYS AT JFK AIRPORT IN NEW YORK: Flights were only delayed a mere 15 minutes at New York City's JFK airport yesterday (June 29th) after about 150 turtles found their way onto a runway and blocked air traffic. JetBlue broke the news on their Twitter feed early yesterday morning, writing, "JFK is experiencing delays as the airport clears turtles off the runway. #cantmakethisup". A Port Authority spokesman said the diamondback terrapin turtles were crossing the runway to a sandy beach area to lay their eggs. Some clever person even started the Twitter account @JFKTurtles which quickly picked up close to 3,000 followers. JetBlue tweeted later in the day, "Oh @JFKTurtles we could never stay mad at you . . . Glad you made it to your honeymoon spot safe." (Wall Street Journal)
TICKLE SPA OPENS IN SPAIN: A tickle spa, believed to be the first of its kind in the entire world, has opened in Spain. The name of the spa, Cosquillarte, translates to "tickle yourself" and "tickle art." The spa aims to relax and de-stress their clients who, during a session, will lie face down on a table and get tickled by a massage therapist using his or her fingers as well as feathers. Tickling researcher Alan J. Fridlund Ph.D. says that tickling done right can increase blood flow and release neurotransmitters such as dopamine. (AOL)
CHECK IT OUT
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW....
WOMEN LOSE CONFIDENCE AT 46: Researchers found that age 46 is the point when a woman's confidence drops and she begins to feel uncomfortable with her looks. The found it's the age when ladies start feeling that their views and opinions are no longer valid and are worried that their other half (if they have one) is aging better than they are. The survey also revealed women with children struggle with the aging process more than non-parents because of the attention younger women in the family receive. It also emerged that by the time women reach their mid-fifties, they are also less likely to receive glances from strangers in the street or compliments from the other sex. Nearly all the women polled said they began struggling with their weight once they hit 40 - with ladies adm
POPULAR KIDS BECOME MORE AGGRESIVE: A University of California Davis study concluded that aggression doesn't make teens more popular, but popular kids do tend to become aggressive -- suggesting that kids use aggression as a way of pursuing status. Researchers measured students' "network centrality" (a trait similar to popularity, but more objective) and found that the more socially prominent students were, the more aggressive they were, in a consistent increase up to the top 2% of students. The most popular kids were dramatically less aggressive than their peers, possibly only because of their secure social positions. (AskMen.com)
10 THINGS YOU SHOULD NEVER SAY TO THE GUY YOU LOVE (MSN)
1. I can't wait to see what you're doing for my birthday.
2. Are you crying?
3. If we leave right now, we'll have time to stop by Bed Bath & Beyond.
4. Do you need help lighting the grill?
5. I'm putting this whole conversation on my blog.
6. You had so much hair back then!
7. I don't care how big and drunk he is, he shouldn't be talking through the movie. I'm going to say something.
8. Actually, it doesn't happen to every guy.
9. We're vegetarians now.
10. My dad can fix that; you should call him.
HOW TO BE A TERRIBLE SUMMER HOUSEGUEST (NY Daily News)
1) Show up. Yup, just invite yourself for the weekend. Don't consider asking if it's a good time or if your host has elderly relatives staying with her or if the house is being sprayed for potato bugs. Then, be vague about when you will arrive and how long you will stay. Tell your host, "I can hang out for a few days, we'll see. I am not certain about when I'll get there, with work and traffic and everything."
2) Make yourself at home. Take the adage, "mi casa su casa" to heart and literally act like your host's clean house is your own slobby den. Be sure to leave your wet towel on the floor or better yet, use it to mop up your red wine spill. Don't be confined to just one room -- spread your stuff all over the house. Hog the remote, the cable, the landline and the computer. Make a habit of stretching out and taking up the whole couch. Spend copious time in the bathroom reading the host's magazines.
3) Read between the lines. Can I help with the dishes? Should I strip the bed? Shall I wash the towels? How can I help with dinner? The answer to these and most queries of assistance will be "Don't worry about it." Or, "Relax, I've got it." What your host is really saying is "Just do it!" But feel free to take her politeness at face value. Don't bother to rinse any dishes or make coffee unless you are expressly asked.
4) Free Pass. When you accept an invitation, consider your presence to be a present and be a sullen jerk. Make no effort to be charming and entertaining. Act bored; hosts love that. Make sure to have no sense of the way the house operates. If everyone seems to go to bed at 11 p.m., stay up late watching television and drinking wine. If your host likes to party late into the night, be sure to wake everyone up for your 6 a.m. yoga sun salutations on the roof deck.
5) Special Requests. There's nothing a host loves more than catering to your restrictive diet. Are you a vegan? Dodging gluten? Boycotting dairy? Expect your host to know all of this in advance and then turn your nose up at the beautiful dinner she cooks.
Approximately what percentage of men are color blind?
Around 1 in 10 men suffer from some degree of color blindness. Color blindness is a genetic characteristic, linked to the X chromosome, and as you may recall, men only have one X chromosome, while women have two. Luckily for the ladies, you need just one color-blind-free X chromosome to see color clearly, and as a result, women rarely (as in less than 1 percent) inherit the condition.
WATER COOLER TALK
A gay couple who are friends of Rudy Giuliani are charging that the former New York City mayor is reneging on a pledge to marry them now that the state of New York has legalized gay marriage, according to the New York Post. Giuliani friend Howard Koeppel let the then-mayor live at his place for six months in 2001 while Giuliani was going through a divorce from Donna Hanover. He tells the Post that he asked Giuliani at that time to marry him and his partner, Mark Hsiao, and that the mayor answered, "Howard, I don't ever do anything that's not legal. If it becomes legal in New York, you'll be one of the first ones I would marry." But now that New York has legalized gay marriage, Koeppel says Giuliani hasn't been returning his phone calls asking him to follow through on his promise. Giuliani has publicly supported civil unions, but been opposed to gay marriage. He is reportedly weighing whether to run for president again in 2012 after his failed bid for the Republican nomination in 2008.
Gay Couple Charge Giuliani Reneging on Pledge to Marry Them
Is It Time to End the Use of '-Gate' Suffix for Every Scandal?
Are you sick of the media attaching the "-gate" suffix to every new scandal, silly or not, with the most recent example being "Weinergate" for the headline-grabbing story of former Rep. Anthony Weiner'sreckless sexting habits? American Journalism Review editor and senior vice president Rem Rieder writes that it's time to end the practice, which he calls "knee-jerk," "easy" and "boring." He also argues that it sets up a false equivalency between the very serious matter that was Watergate, and much less consequential episodes like Weinergate and most of the other "-gate"-dubbed issues in recent decades.
Condo Association to Test Dog Poop DNA to Find Non-Scooping Owners
A Florida condo association is going high-tech in its battle against owners who don't clean up after their dogs, planning to use DNA testing of dog poop to find the non-scooping offenders. The Palm Beach Postreports that as of August 1st, residents in the Village of Abacoa in Jupiter who own dogs will have to pay a $200 fee that will be used to take their pet's genetic fingerprint. They will be kept on file to test against dog droppings found in condo common areas. Owners can be fined up to $1,000 if their dog is found to have been responsible. The Post cites managers of the condo association as saying they have no choice, since they are spending $10,000 to $12,000 a year replacing and cleaning up after damage from dogs who defecate and urinate in elevators, stairwells, carpets, the lobby, and in common areas outside.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
Miranda Lambert joins Blake Shelton on the set of The Voice tonight (Wednesday, June 29th) to duet with finalist Dia Frampton. Miranda has become a passionate fan of the hit NBC show, as her Twitter comments support each week.
Miranda says that while she now loves The Voice, she had misgivings when Blake first told her about the opportunity. "The Voice is really, really cool! When Blake came to me when he first got the offer for it I didn't know what it was, and I was like, 'Okay, you're gonna be gone in LA for three months? . . . I don't know!' But he just felt good about it, and now he's, to me, and not just because I'm his wife, he's an amazing judge on there. It's really showin' a different side of him, and he's so involved with his contestants, and now I'm attached to them and I'm like cryin' over their performances."
Miranda adds that Blake's visibility on a major network show week after week has definitely had an impact on their lives. "It's really changed our life a little bit as far as there is a different level of eyes watchin' us, but I'm really happy for him. I think this is something that is huge for him, and not only for him but for country music because he's representing our genre and he's doin' a great job."
- Other special guest performers on tonight's finale of The Voice are Stevie Nicks, Train's Pat Monahan and Ryan Tedder from One Republic. The Voice airs at 8 p.m. ET on NBC.
- Miranda performs in Lawton, Oklahoma on Saturday (July 2nd).
- Her new trio, Pistol Annies, just signed a record deal with Columbia Nashville. Their new single, "Hell On Heels," is now available at digital retailers.
She might not have a lot of spare time on her hands, but when she gets a little, Taylor Swiftlikes to delight in a handful of pop-culture indulgences. She tells Teen Vogue magazine those include "Teen Mom, 16 and Pregnant, '90s one-hit wonders, watching YouTube videos of kittens, the app CatPaint. . . I CatPaint all my pictures," she said, adding, "It's weird."
Taylor says that her top TV pick is Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and that if she could dine with any character from a movie, book or TV show, she would pick Detective Olivia Benson from Law & Order S.V.U., played by Mariska Hargitay.
Taylor said, "I sit in my apartment and watch hours of that show, so I sort of feel like me and Olivia are BFFs."
- Taylor graces the cover of August issue of Teen Vogue magazine.
- Her Speak Now World tour plays in the South this weekend, with shows in Greensboro, NC; Knoxville, TN; and Louisville, KY on Thursday (June 30th), Friday (July 1st) and Saturday (July 2nd), respectively.
Rascal Flatts' new video for "Easy," featuring Natasha Bedingfield, will world premiere on Friday (July 1st) on CMT and CMT.com beginning at 10:45 a.m. ET. As part of the premiere, CMT will debut a 15-minute special which includes interviews with Gary LeVox, Jay DeMarcus and Joe Don Rooney and behind-the-scenes footage from the video shoot, which also features Natasha.
Natasha is the latest in a string of collaborations Rascal Flatts has done. They also recently teamed up with Lionel Richie, Michael Bolton and Justin Bieber, but the guys still have a few more on their wish list, as Gary tells us: "It might be cool to do something with Pink at some time. We'd actually talked about doin' a gospel album, but it'd be awfully cool to do some stuff with like, in the gospel world, if we did a gospel album, people like CeCe Winans and BeBe Winans and Fred Hammond and Marvin Sapp, Smokie Norful. There's no singers on the planet like they are that come outta church, so that would be an amazing venture to take on. Hopefully somewhere down the road we could maybe do something like that."
- "Easy" is the third single from Rascal Flatts' Nothing Like This CD.
- The trio's Flatts Fest resumes on July 8th in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
Four individual American Idol Season 10 highlight EPs are now available only at Walmart and Walmart.com. The EPs feature favorite songs from American Idol's top four finalists of the 10th season- winner Scotty McCreery, runner up Lauren Alaina, Haley Reinhart and James Durbin. Each EP contains an exclusive track from the season which has never before been available for purchase. Scotty and Lauren's EPs will feature their chart topping debut singles "I Love You This Big" and "Like My Mother Does." Each EP contains five tracks and sells for $5.
- Track listing for the four American Idol Season 10 Highlights EPs are:
Scotty McCreery-American Idol Season 10 Highlights
"I Love You This Big"
"Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not"
Lauren Alaina - American Idol Season 10 Highlights
"Like My Mother Does"
"Flat On The Floor"
"I'm The Only One"
Haley Reinhart - American Idol Season 10 Highlights
"House Of The Rising Sun"
"Bennie and the Jets"
"Rolling In The Deep"
"What Is And What Should Never Be"
"You Oughta Know"
James Durbin - American Idol Season 10 Highlights
"Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow"
"Maybe I'm Amazed"
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
- Scotty's history-making single, "I Love You This Big," had the highest-charting debut for a new artist in more than two decades when it debuted at Number 32 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart. This is the highest debut for a new artist's first single since the chart began using BDS data in 1990, according to Billboard. The song, which hit Number One on iTunes, also reached Number Three on the Billboard Digital Songs chart.
- Lauren's "Like My Mother Does" debuted at Number 11 on the Digital Songs chart and Number 49 on the Hot Country Songs chart.
As a former resident of North Dakota, James Otto is personally saddened by the devastation and loss being experienced by the town of Minot. He has decided to use his talent to help those suffering by hosting a live streaming benefit concert online at StageIt.com on July 6th at 7 p.m. ET. All proceeds, including ticket sales and tips, will be donated to Minot's local Red Cross.
A generous fan who has chosen to remain anonymous has upped the ante by offering to match up to $5,000 of monetary tips given to James during the show as an additional donation.
The concert is part of the series James began in early June called "Thirsty Thursdays" in which he performs via live streaming broadcast from his home studio, giving fans an exclusive front row experience and chance to hear his brand-new music and fan-favorite hits. To register, visit StageIt.com, create a profile and then click on James' artist page to purchase tickets, which are $5 each.
The site also offers a donation feature that works as a 'tip jar' for additional monetary contributions.
- James said, "Since I am a former North Dakotan, this is near and dear to my heart. I hope all of you will join me for a very 'Thirsty Thursday' that's more than just fun... it has the ability to make a great impact on those in need," said Otto. "Please spread the word and join me!"
- James' last album, Shake What God Gave Ya, was released last year.
- He charted his first and only Number One hit so far in 2007 with "Just Got Started Lovin' You."
Ronnie Milsap will release his first country album in five years. The CD, called Country Again, will be in stores on July 26th. The first single from the 12-track disc is called "If You Don't Want Me To (The Freeze)". It heads to country radio beginning on July 18th.
- Ronnie said, "I've been very fortunate to have had a lot of successful records. Now it's time to make some more."
- The video for "If You Don't Want Me To (The Freeze)", was filmed this past spring and showcases the dance craze, The Freeze, inspired by the song.
- Ronnie will debut new music from Country Again when he returns to the Grand Ole Opry stage on July 16th.
- Ronnie has charted more than 40 Number One hits.
- He has been a member of the Grand Ole Opry since 1976.
- His most recent album is a gospel collection called Then Sings My Soul: 24 Favorite Hymns and Gospel Favorites.
Toby Keith will be filming a new music video at Summerfest in Milwaukee on Friday (July 1st). The singer is scheduled to perform during the music event, and will take the opportunity to create the video for his latest single, "Made In America."
George Strait's newest hit single, "Here For A Good Time," is now available at all digital retailers. The song already sits at Number 20 on the Billboard country singles chart after only three weeks. The song was written by George, his son Bubba Strait and Dean Dillon. "Here For A Good Time" is the first single and title track to his upcoming album, which is scheduled to be released this year.
Q. What singer used to be part of the band Pure Prairie League?
A. Vince Gill
ON THE TUBE
BILLY RAY CYRUS: I'M AMERICAN/GAC 10:00AM, 2:00PM (ET)
ORIGINS: LITTLE BIG TOWN/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
SUGARLAND'S INCREDIBLE MACHINE/GAC 9:00PM (ET)
LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN/CBS 11:35PM (ET)