KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
The bass player in Chris Young's band saw a huge opportunity to propose to his girlfriend during Wednesday (July 27th) night's appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and he took it. The moment came during Chris' performance of "You," a song on Chris' new Neon CD. The band member, whose name is Steve, was playing next to Chris and wearing a jacked over a black T-shirt which said, "Missy, marry me?"
The cameras focused in on the message midway through the performance, and then again as Chris began closing the show with a performance of a song called "Lost."
After the show, Chris updated fans on the outcome via Twitter. In response to a fan asking if the intended young lady noticed the T-shirt, Chris wrote, "Missy did... And she said yes!!" Later he posted, "So congrats to my bass player Steve and Missy!"
- Chris has a lot of his own good news these days. His latest single, "Tomorrow," tops the country charts this week, giving Chris his fourth consecutive Number One hit.
- He continues playing solo dates and opening shows for Jason Aldean this summer.
CHECK IT OUT
Kenny Chesney will make history when he takes his Goin' Coastal tour to the Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey on August 18th. The lineup also includes performances by Billy Currington, Uncle Kracker and the Zac Brown Band, and so far, more than 43,000 tickets have been sold. The total makes this the best-selling single paid country music concert in the New York City-New Jersey area since 1983, when more than 51,000 fans showed up to seeWillie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings and Linda Ronstadt perform.
- Kenny told the AP, "I don't know if taking a chance is the right word, but to be honest with you it was a little bit of a risk to play Meadowlands Stadium, but my whole touring life has been a risk . . . One day I said, 'You know, I want to be able to say I played the New York-New Jersey area and I did it in a football stadium.' We almost did it two years ago, and so now I felt like the time was right. I'm glad I was right."
- Despite a down economy, Kenny's fans have made the Goin' Coastal trek a priority. They have scooped up 1.1 million tickets this year.
- Kenny tells us that both he and the fans keep coming back year after year because they've got a good thing going. "We are just like them. We have our own problems. We have our own stress. And bein' able to play music, and to go out there and forget about all of that and feel the love comin' from the crowd, and for them to feel it vice versa, that's a very special thing. And I think that's what we've...I think it's been, for the past decade, just a really awesome love affair. And that's the best way I can explain it."
- The Goin' Coastal tour plays in Kansas City, Missouri on Saturday (July 30th).
- Kenny has sold nearly 10 million tickets since 2002.
- He is currently climbing the charts with his Grace Potter duet, "You and Tequila."
Alan Jackson gave a very special performance at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville yesterday (Thursday, July 28th) as the facility announced expansion plans that will more than double the building's size by the year 2014. Alan's appearance included his first-ever public performance of "You've Been Lonesome, Too," a song that will be featured on the upcoming album, The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams.
Alan tells us: "I hadn't sung it since we recorded it in the studio, and it's taken a few years for this album to surface, but now that it looks like it's got some legs under it and the Country Music Hall of Fame is really excited about it and getting behind it and using it as part of their Hank Williams tribute here at the Hall of Fame, it's cool to be able to come here and sing it right here where all of this history is and to do it live for the first time in such an important place that Hank helped make."Alan shares writing credit for the song with the late Country Music Hall of Famer, having completed the song from lyrics originally penned by Hank. The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams features various artists and will be released on October 4th.
- Alan said, "I never thought I'd end up writing a song with Hank Williams. It'll always be something I can look back on and one of the coolest things I've ever done."
- Alan is currently climbing the charts with his latest hit, "Long Way to Go."
- The song is the first single from his next album, planned for release sometime this fall.
- The music video premiered over the past week on CMT, GAC and online.
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has launched a $75 million capital campaign that will finance the museum's 200,000-square-foot expansion.
- The expansion will add more archival storage, an 800-seat theater and a new educational center.
Jerrod Niemann is shaking things up each night on stage during the Brad Paisley-headlined H2O IItour. Jerrod has a couple of reasons for making sure no two shows are the same, one of which is to throw Brad off his trail and prevent himself from falling victim to one of Brad's notorious pranks. Jerrod tells us:"I still, to this day, change my show every night, even on Brad's tour. Part of it's just to keep it fresh and keep me on my toes, and if people come and happen to see us somewhere else they won't say, 'Oh, that's the same show every time.' But really, the main reason I change my set list every night is just in case Brad decides to prank me, and he says, 'Hey, after this song, this is when we're gonna go out.' There's no telling if I'll even play that song. So, it's sort of a defense mechanism, as well."
- Jerrod will try to outwit Brad again on Saturday (July 30th) in Frisco, Texas.
- Jerrod is climbing the country charts with his latest single, "One More Drinkin' Song."
- It's the third single from his Judge Jerrod & The Hung Jury CD.
- Jerrod has charted one Number One hit with "Lover, Lover," his debut single.
Keith Urban and his family will get to stay planted in Nashville for the next several months. His wife, Nicole Kidman, has signed on to do a new movie which will actually be shooting in Music City. The suspense film, called Stoker, will also star Matthew Goode.
Keith told The Tennessean that Nicole has been lobbying for a movie shoot in Tennessee. He said, "Obviously, a) this is where she lives and it's easier than having to uproot the kids and everything. And b) it's a great place for people to come and spend a couple of months shooting a film, and there's such a great infrastructure here for that."
- Stoker is tentatively scheduled for a 2012 release.
- Keith, on the other hand, will continue traveling around the country on his Get Closer tour. His weekend itinerary includes stops in Ohio, West Virginia and Indiana tonight (Friday, July 29th), Saturday (July 30th) and Sunday (July 31st), respectively.
- Nicole's last few movies have been shot in Hawaii and Australia.
Toby Keith will release a new album on October 25th called Clancy's Tavern. It was named after Toby's grandmother's bar. The debut single, "Made In America," is a Top 12 hit on the Country Aircheck/Mediabase chart only five weeks after its release.
Jake Owen's hit single, "Barefoot Blue Jean Night," has been digitally certified gold by the RIAA with over 550K downloads. The song is the fastest rising single of Jake's career, sitting at Number Nine onBillboard's Hot Country Songs chart and Country Aircheck. Jake said, "I'm from Florida and I ran around barefoot my whole life. I think when people hear me sing 'Barefoot Blue Jean Night,' they believe me. This song pinpoints my life right now. I think all music fans crave authenticity and this song is as realistic as it gets."
The 10th Anniversary of the Charlie Daniels Band & Friends Concert to benefit Christmas 4 Kids (a division of Christmas For Kids, Inc.) will feature performances by Charlie Daniels, Phil Vassar andSawyer Brown. The fundraiser will take place on Monday, November 21st at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Tickets for the concert are available online at Christmas4kids.org beginning September 15th.
Montgomery Gentry performed a special USO concert near their hometown in Louisville, Kentucky at the KFC Yum! Center on Tuesday (July 26th). The event coincided with the National Guard's National Volunteer Workshop and Youth Symposium, which began on Sunday (July 25th), and honored troops, military families and volunteers who support them.
The free show was open to active-duty National Guard and Reservists, their families, National Volunteer Workshop and Youth Symposium attendees, as well as military ID holders and local area veterans, drawing a crowd of more than 8,000.
The concert was broadcast live to deployed troops around the world on the Pentagon Channel.
Montgomery Gentry performed their new single, "Where I Come From," and gave the military crowd a sneak peak at other cuts from their upcoming album, which will be in stores in October.
- Eddie Montgomery said, "Troy and I both grew up in Kentucky and being able to put on a USO concert here at home is such an honor, and something that we will never forget. We've performed around the world for troops but there is nothing better than coming home and celebrating with our heroes who defend our country. "
- Troy Gentry added, "Eddie and I have been traveling on USO tours for 5 years and I couldn't be prouder to put on a USO concert here in Kentucky, the place where it all began for us and to say 'thank you' to the men and women who make it all possible, our U.S. armed forces."
- Montgomery Gentry have performed more than 20 USO concerts in locations such as, Nevada, South Korea, Okinawa, Iraq, Germany and Kuwait.
- The duo have played to more than 32,000 service men and women and their families since 2006.
- In January of this year, Montgomery Gentry visited with and performed for more than 8,000 soldiers, Marines and airmen and their families stationed in Korea and Okinawa.
Q. In what city and state is Garth Brooks Boulevard located?
A. Yukon, Oklahoma
Friday, July 29th
ON THE TUBE
CMT TOP 20 COUNTDOWN/CMT 11:00AM (ET)
THE COLLECTION: BILLY CURRINGTON/GAC 11:00AM (ET)
CMT CRIBS/CMT 1:30PM, 7:00PM (ET)
Jason Aldean, Jamie O'Neal, Paula Deen
TOP 20 COUNTRY COUNTDOWN/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
INVITATION ONLY: JASON ALDEAN/CMT 10:00PM (ET)
THE COLLECTION: JASON ALDEAN/GAC 11:00PM (ET)
- James Otto (37)
- Martina McBride (45)
- Ken Burns (Documentary movie producer, The Civil War, The War, Baseball, Jazz) (58)
- Elizabeth Dole (North Carolina Senator) (75)
- Patti Scialfa (singer-guitarist, the E Street Band; wife of Bruce Springsteen) (58)
- Wil Wheaton (actor, Stand By Me, Star Trek: The Next Generation's Wesley Crusher) (39)
- Tony Sirico (actor, The Sopranos' Paulie Walnuts) (69)
- Allison Mack (actress, Smallville's Chloe) (29)
- Stephen Dorff actor, Blade, Cold Creek Manor) (38)
- Marilyn Quayle (wife of former Vice President Dan Quayle) (62)
- Professor Irwin Corey (actor-comedian, Car Wash, Jack, The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion) (97)
- Tim Gunn (reality TV star/fashion consultant, Project Runway, Tim Gunn's Guide To Style) (58)
- Afroman (rapper, "Because I Got High") (37)
- Geddy Lee (singer-bassist, Rush) (58)
- John Sykes (singer, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, Blue Murder) (52)
- Neal Doughty (keyboardist, REO Speedwagon) (65)
ON THIS DAY
- Jason Aldean's "Why" earned a gold single from the Recording Industry Association of America in 2006.
- Faith Hill recorded "Mississippi Girl" at Emerald Entertainment in Nashville in 2004.
- The Dixie Chicks recorded an episode of CMT Crossroads with James Taylor in Nashville in 2002.
- Blake Shelton's self-titled debut album was released in 2001.
- Elvis Presley began a historic four-week run at Las Vegas' International Hotel in 1969 in his first live show since 1961. In the audience were Liberace, Herb Alpert, Dick Clark, Cary Grant, Fats Domino, Burt Bacharach, Pat Boone and Paul Anka.
- Jim Reeves died in 1964 at the age of 39 in an airplane crash near Nashville, Tennessee.
PAZ DE LA HUERTA PLEADS GUILTY TO HARASSMENT: Actress Paz de la Huerta pleaded guilty to harassing The City's Samantha Swerta. The Boardwalk Empire actress got into a scuffle with Swerta back in March, allegedly throwing a glass at her leg and hitting her in the face as they fought over who was more famous. Paz was originally charged with five misdemeanor charges, including two counts of third degree assault, criminal possession of a weapon, attempted assault and harassment -- but was able to cop a plea deal. In light of the plea, de la Huerta will have to perform one day of community service and go to 12 weeks of alcohol counseling.
LINDSAY LOHAN SETTLES UNPAID BILL: Lindsay Lohan has avoided another legal showdown. TMZ reported that the actress has settled her bill with Stephen Clark, who accused her of stiffing him on $1,100 worth of audio installation work in her home. Clark told the website, "She paid and I canceled the small claims file." He added, "Lindsay is actually really nice and I think my invoice got mixed up or something. It's all good now!"
'ENTOURAGE' MANSION SELLS FOR $4.2 MILLION: The mansion belonging to Vince Chase onEntourage has been sold for $4.2 million. AOL reported that a television producer bought the property -- which originally went on the market for $5.75 million in 2010. The 9,0101 square-foot pad in Encino, CA has seven bedrooms, eight bathrooms and seven fireplaces.
PLAYMATES DEFEND HEF'S SEX SKILLS: A variety of Playmates are standing up for Hugh Hefnerafter his ex-fiance Crystal Harris dissed his sexual skills. Miss June 2004, Hiromi Oshima, told Peoplemagazine, "I've heard girls say they have a lot of fun in there." Dani Mathers, a staffer at Playboy TV, added, "Hef is a lover. I think they definitely had sex more than that one time and it wasn't two minutes. Hef definitely has a sex life."
SARAH DREW IS PREGNANT: Grey's Anatomy star Sarah Drew is pregnant. The 30-year-old actress announced that she and husband Peter Lanfer are expecting their first child in January. Drew isn't the only expectant parent on set -- costar Eric Dane is preparing for the birth of his second child with wifeRebecca Gayheart.
LEO AND BLAKE: ON: Leonardo DiCaprio and Blake Lively still seem to be a couple. Despite breakup reports, the pair was spotted on a "cozy" lunch date in Los Angeles earlier this week. A source told the New York Post, "They shared a plate of tacos and sat in a booth side by side. They were whispering very quietly. No one bothered them."
JESSE JAMES' EX ARRESTED: Jesse James' ex-wife Janine Lindemulder was arrested for harassment on Wednesday -- just days after a judge awarded James custody of their seven-year-old daughter Sunny. TMZ.com reported that a judge ordered Lindemulder not to harass or annoy Jesse after she was arrested on the same charge earlier this year -- but she continued to do so. After calling him more than 25 times this week, the cops got a harassment warrant and arrested her again.
JENNY MCCARTHY DITCHING OPRAH: Jenny McCarthy is reportedly ditching Oprah Winfrey.Fox411.com reported that McCarthy is dropping OWN, where signed a development deal in 2009, and bringing her new TV series to NBC. A source told the site, "Jenny wasn't thrilled with the direction that OWN producers were going with on the show. She had been working with Oprah and her producers for over a year, developing this project for OWN. Jenny finally decided to embrace Oprah's philosophy, which is to 'follow your bliss.' Well, Jenny followed her bliss and walked right off the project."
JOE PESCI SUES 'GOTTI' PRODUCERS: Joe Pesci is suing the producers of the upcoming Gottimovie, claiming that he was unceremoniously dropped from the $3 million role he'd signed on for. In the lawsuit, Pesci claims he cut a $3 million deal to play Angelo Ruggiero, Gotti's close friend and enforcer -- and subsequently made statements on the film's behalf and gained 30 pounds for his part. However, he claims the producers reneged on the agreement, and instead offered him a lesser role for a smaller paycheck. Pesci is suing for $3 million minimum, as well as punitive damages.
KYLE RICHARDS BACK ON SCRIPTED TV: Kyle Richards is returning to her acting roots.RadarOnline.com reported that the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star -- who was a child actress -- signed on to appear in an upcoming Lifetime movie called Deadly Sibling Rivalry. Richards, whose feud with sister Kim was featured last season on Housewives, joked, "Don't think too much into the title."
KARDASHIANS REVEAL BOOK NAME: The Kardashians' new book will be called . . . Dollhouse. Kim, Kourtney and Khloe held a contest inviting fans to name their first joint novel, and Courtney Powell's submission was the winner. Dollhouse hits shelves on November 1st.
SCARLETT JOHANSSON GRACEFULL DECLINES INVITE TO MARINE CORPS. BALL
Scarlett Johansson is the latest celebrity to receive -- and reject -- and invitation to the Marine Corps Ball. Sgt. Dustin L. Williams uploaded a video YouTube in which he asked the actress to be his date, but she politely declined. To ease his sorrow, she even sent him a case of champagne.
Scarlett responded saying, "I feel incredibly honored to have been invited to the Marine Corps Ball by Sgt. Dustin L. Williams. Not only does Sgt. Williams deserve recognition for his bravery, selflessness and dedication to the United States and its people, but he also displays a cheeky talent for film making. Sgt. Williams, unfortunately due to prior commitments I will not be able to attend the Ball with you this year but I am sending you a case of Moet and Chandon with gratitude. In my absence, I raise a glass to you and all the men and women of the U.S. Marine Corps, past and present, in thanks for your continued commitment to preserving the safety of our nation.
- Friends With Benefits costars Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake have both accepted invitations to Marine events, while Betty White declined hers.
JENNIFER LOPEZ REPORTEDLY CLOSE TO 'IDOL' DEAL
Jennifer Lopez should officially be on board for the next season of American Idol by the end of this week. As reports of Lopez's rumored salary demands swirled around the internet, show sources insisted that a deal is on the horizon.
Cecile Frot-Coutaz, CEO of American Idol producer FremantleMedia North America, told the Wall Street Journal, "We're in good shape. No worries. No dark clouds on the horizon."
Lopez reportedly took home $12 million for her work last season on Idol -- which is far below Simon Cowell's previous annual salary of $35 million.
The National Enquirer claimed that Lopez was demanding a $7 million raise to return for season 11 -- adding that she's likely to get it. According to the Enquirer, "They'll have to do whatever it takes to keep her happy. Her new contract's their major priority. They'll have to come up with megabucks to appease Steven Tyler as well, but he only makes about half of what Jennifer earns.'"
- The Hollywood Reporter previously confirmed that the remaining judges, Steven Tyler and Randy Jackson, are already on board for season 11.
KAT VON D CANCELS MORE INTERVIEWS, EXPLAINS WHY SHE 'SUCKS'
Kat von D bailed on another interview this week, ditching E! on Thursday (July 28th), just a day after her headline-grabbing walk out at Good Day LA. EOnline.com revealed that the LA Ink star canceled her interview with the network -- as well as the remainder of her scheduled appearances in support of the LA Ink season premiere.
Jesse James's ex-fiance claims that raw emotions over the recent split are largely to blame for her recent behavior. In a lengthy Facebook post, titled, "What can I say? I suck," Kat attempted to justify her actions.
She wrote on Wednesday night, "Today felt pretty impossible. Most of the times, regardless of what's going on around me, I'm usually strong enough to not let things get to me like this. But today there seems to be no way of escaping my thoughts. 'What have I done?' 'I sure made a mess of things.' 'Wish today was over' . . . Somehow, I allowed today to get the best of me."
Kat touched on a number of subjects that led to the "mess."
- Her relationship with Jesse: "The accumulation of things this past year have been challenging in so many ways, but for the most part I found it easy to stay positive throughout it. There was my relationship with Jesse, which regardless of how happy it made me, sprung a lot of negativity from the outside world. It felt like it was just the two of us against the world. I think it's safe to say that a lot of times that would bring us even closer. Knowing that someone loves you for who you are and that they gain nothing from you other than the joy of being loved unconditionally is a good feeling. [I] never planned on walking away from this relationship."
- Her strength: "As much as I'd like to picture me being this strong, independent woman, the truth is most of the time I'm not as strong as I'd like to be -- but I'm still trying. Although my intentions were never to offend or hurt anyone's feelings, this isn't an apology for walking out on a silly morning show interview this morning -- and this isn't an attempt at justifying anything either. I don't expect people to understand, just like I can't expect myself to be able to please everyone at all times."
- Her media appeal: "I'm not going to flatter myself in thinking I'm interesting enough for the press not to pry into gossip-related questions so [it's] unfair of me to expect them to respect that. . . .but even though it's not in my nature to cancel on people, it IS in my nature to admit when I'm weak. Ratings. Sales. Publicity. The amount of followers I have on twitter. None of those things matter to me."
MOVIES OPENING TODAY AND PLAYING THIS WEEKEND
Opening today (July 29th) is the new western/sci-fi film, Cowboys & Aliens, starring Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde, Sam Rockwell and Paul Dano. The film follows a stranger, who, with no memory of his past, stumbles into the town of Absolution. Not the friendliest place, the town outcasts the stranger until it is attacked by aliens, and as he remembers little by little of his past, the stranger might hold the key to giving the town a fighting chance against alien forces.
- Cowboys & Aliens is rated PG-13 and has a running time of 2 hours.
Opening today (July 29th) is the new comedy Crazy, Stupid, Love, starring Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone and Marisa Tomei. The film follows Cal Weaver, played by Carell, who has the dream life until his wife unexpectedly tells him she wants a divorce. Now, with the help of Jacob Palmer, played by Gosling, Cal gets back on the dating scene but realizes it may not be for him.
- Crazy, Stupid, Love is rated PG-13 and has a running time of 1 hour and 47 minutes.
Opening today (July 29th) is the new family film, The Smurfs, with Hank Azaria, Neil Patrick Harris, Sofia Vergara, Tim Gunn and Katy Perry lending their voices. The film follows the Smurfs who, after being chased out of their village by Gargamel, find themselves in New York City's Central Park and must find their way back to their village before Gargamel can track them down.
- The Smurfs is rated PG and has a running time of 1 hour and 40 minutes.
HOUSE GOP DELAYS VOTE ON DEBT LIMIT PLAN TO TRY TO GET MORE VOTES: Republican House leaders last night (July 28th) abruptly delayed a planned vote on Speaker John Boehner'slegislation to cut the deficit that the GOP has tied to raising the debt limit before the deadline of August 2nd to avoid the federal government going into default. The vote had originally been slated for late afternoon, but was then postponed until some time later, and then called off altogther for the night. GOPRep. David Dreier of California conceded, "The votes obviously were not there." The GOP leadership in the House has been trying to round up enough votes from conservatives in the party, many of them Tea Party-backed freshmen, who think the legislation doesn't go far enough. While the vote wrangling was going on in the House over the measure, Senate Democrats, who hold the majority in the chamber, promised to defeat it if got to them, and President Obama has vowed to veto it.
U.S. SOLDIER CAUGHT BEFORE PLANNED FORT HOOD ATTACK: A 21-year-old AWOL U.S. soldier who was caught with weapons and a bomb after suspicions were reported by a gun store clerk has admitted to planning an attack on Fort Hood, the Army reported Thursday (July 28th), which would have been the second terrorist attack at the Texas base in less than two years. Texas native Pfc. Naser Abdo was arrested Wednesday at a motel about three miles from Ford Hood. Abdo, who is Muslim, had spoken out against the 2009 shootings at the base in which 13 people were killed by another Muslim serviceman, as he made a public plea to be granted conscientious objector status to avoid serving in Iraq or Afghanistan. Abdo had been approved as a conscientious objector this year, but that status was put on hold after he was charged with possessing child pornography. He went absent without leave from Fort Campbell in Kentucky during the July 4th weekend. Authorities were alerted that Abdo might be up to no good by a clerk at the same gun store where a pistol that was used in the 2009 attack was purchased. The clerk told them a man arrived by taxi on Tuesday and bought six pounds of smokeless gunpowder, three boxes of shotgun ammunition and a magazine for a semi-automatic pistol. The clerk, Greg Ebert, said they called police because store workers, quote, "felt uncomfortable with his overall demeanor and the fact he didn't know what the hell he was buying."
IRS ASKING AIRLINES TO REPAY TICKET TAXES TO CUSTOMERS: The Internal Revenue Service had some good news yesterday (July 28th) for passengers who bought plane tickets ahead of time for travel on or after July 23rd, when the airlines had to stop collecting federal ticket taxes because of a government dispute. The IRS said that it's asked airlines to to pay the money for the ticket taxes back to eligible customers who ask for a refund. Passengers who don't get one from the airlines can submit claims to the IRS under procedures that are being developed. Airlines suspended collection of the taxes when the Federal Aviation Administration's taxing authority expired at midnight on July 22nd, after Congress failed to extend the agency's funding. A spokesman for the Air Transport Association, the trade association for the airlines, said it agrees the passengers should get the money back, but said it should be the responsibility of he IRS, because, quote, "ultimately it's the Treasury that has the tax money, not the airlines."
TESTS ON N.J. GOV. CHRISTIE NORMAL AFTER DIFFICULTY BREATHING: Tests were normal yesterday (July 28th) on New Jersey Governor Chris Christie after the Republican rising star was taken to the hospital in the morning when he had difficulty breathing. The 48-year-old Christie, who is significantly overweight and suffers from asthma, was on the way to a bill signing when he started feeling unwell. He was treated for an asthma attack at the hospital and underwent testing to make sure nothing else was wrong. Christie has gained national Republican attention -- including many calls for him to run for president -- for his battles with public unions in New Jersey, as well as for his blunt and confrontational style.
STRAUSS-KAHN ACCUSER HOLDS MEDIA EVENT: New York City hotel maid Nafissatou Diallo, who's accused former International Monetary Fund head Dominique Strauss-Kahn of sexually assaulting her in a Manhattan hotel room, held a highly unusual news conference yesterday (July 28th) in which she made an emotional appeal for people to believe her story. Diallo told reporters she can't stop crying and wants no other woman to suffer like her, both in an attack by a powerful man and then in charges made in the media, such as the New York Post articles that accused her of being a prostitute. The tearful African immigrant said, "I am going through a lot. My daughter, we are going through a lot. We are crying everyday. We can't sleep. A lot of things they say about me are not true." After Diallo spoke, her attorney promised that a civil lawsuit will be filed soon against Strauss-Kahn, who has denied the charges. Manhattan prosecutors are still weighing whether or not to go ahead with the case, after revelations about lies in Diallo's past and actions after the alleged attack cast doubt on her credibility.
EXTRA STRENGTH TYLENOL MAXIMUM DOSE TO BE REDUCED: Johnson & Johnson said Thursday (July 28th) that it's reducing the maximum daily dose of Extra Strength Tylenol to lower risk of accidental overdose from the active ingredient acetaminophen, which is the leading cause of liver failure. Beginning in the fall, Extra Strength Tylenol packages will list the maximum daily dose as six pills, for a total of 3,000 milligrams, down from eight pills, or 4,000 milligrams. The maximum daily dose for Regular Strength Tylenol and other pain relievers with acetaminophen will also be reduced beginning next year. One of the main problems leading to accidental overdose is that acetaminophen is the active ingredient in many other nonprescription pain relievers, including NyQuil and some Sudafed products, as well as the prescription painkillers Percocet and Vicodin. Because of that, people taking multiple medicines don't always realize how much acetaminophen they're taking in.
- Acetaminophen overdose is blamed for about 200 deaths in the U.S. each year and sends 56,000 people to the emergency room.
DAUGHTER OF MALCOLM X GETS PROBATION SENTENCE FOR IDENTITY THEFT: The youngest daughter of assassinated black civil rights leader Malcolm X was sentenced in a Queens, New York, courtroom Thursday (July 28th) to five years probation for identity theft, after stealing the identity of a longtime family friend and using it to make more than $55,000 in credit card purchases. Malikah Shabazz, who's 46, was also ordered to pay restitution in full to the credit card companies. Shabazz pleaded guilty in June to opening several credit card accounts in the name of Khaula Bakr, the widow of a bodyguard who was with Malcolm X when he was killed in Harlem in 1965.SPORTS:
TIGER WOODS TO RETURN TO GOLF AT BRIDGESTONE NEXT WEEK: Tiger Woods will finally be returning to golf at the Bridgestone Invitational next week, ending 11 weeks away from competition due to injuries to his left leg. Woods made the announcement on his website yesterday (July 28th). The time away from the game, as well as his mediocre play before then, has plunged the former Number One golfer to 21st in the world, his lowest ranking since January 1997. Woods also hasn't won in more than 20 months, since shortly before his multiple extramarital affairs scandal exploded.
HAYNESWORTH, OCHOCINCO TO PATS, BUSH TO DOLPHINS IN DAY OF NFL MOVES: It was a busy day for player moves in the NFL Thursday (July 28th), the third day after a deal was reached that ended the lockout. Among the bigger-name trades that were made, the New England Patriots got Albert Haynesworth from the Washington Redskins and Chad Ochocinco from the Cincinnati Bengals, while the New Orleans Saints sent Reggie Bush to the Miami Dolphions and Kevin Kolb headed to the Arizona Cardinals from the Philadelphia Eagles. There were also a number of players released yesterday, including Vince Young by the Tennessee Titans, Nate Clements by the San Francisco 49ers, and Jake Delhomme by the Cleveland Browns.
EX-YANKEES PITCHER HIDEKI IRABU FOUND DEAD IN APPARENT SUICIDE: Former New York Yankees pitcher Hideki Irabu, one of the pioneering Japanese players who came to the U.S. major leagues, was found dead in his suburban Los Angeles home Wednesday (July 27th) in an apparent suicide. He was 42. Neighbors said that Irabu had seemed despondent recently because of a split with his wife, who reportedly left him and took their two young daughters. Irabu joined the Yankees to fanfare in 1997 as a hard-throwing starter and strikeout specialist. But after an impressive debut, he never lived up to the high expectations, and was famously called a "fat . . . toad" by late Yankees owner George Steinbrenner. Irabu was with the Yankees for three years, with New York winning the World Series in two of them, but he only appeared in the postseason once, in a relief appearance in the 1999 ALCS during which he gave up 13 hits to the Boston Red Sox. He then played two years with the Montreal Expos and a final season with the Texas Rangers in 2002, ending with a career 34-35 record and a 5.15 ERA.(Headline News, FYI and Sports stories were compiled in part from reports by the Associated Press and Reuters.)
ON THE TUBE TODAY....
- FLASHPOINT - The investigation into the kidnapping of a woman and her daughter reveals a dark family secret.
- CSI: NY (repeat)
- BLUE BLOODS (repeat)
- WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? (repeat)
- DATELINE NBC (repeat)
- BONES (repeat)
- HOUSE (repeat)
- SHARK TANK (repeat)
- PRIMETIME: WHAT WOULD YOU DO? (repeat)
- 20/20 (repeat)
- NIKITA (repeat)
- SUPERNATURAL (repeat)
DAY TIME TALK SHOW
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW - (repeat)
THE VIEW - Mario Cantone, John Pinette, Randy Fenoli
LATE NIGHT TALK SHOWS
THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN (CBS) - (repeat)
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO (NBC) - Gillian Anderson, Aziz Ansari, Kelly Rowland
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE (ABC) - (repeat)
THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG FERGUSON (CBS) - Tim Gunn, Ted Alexandro
LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON (NBC) - Brian Williams, Rashad Evans, Big Sean, Ben E. King
LAST CALL WITH CARSON DALY (NBC) - (repeat)
- SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE (repeat)
- BIG BROTHER - The nomination ceremony takes place.
- SAME NAME - Kathy Griffin swaps live with a married mother from Georgia.
- CSI: MIAMI (repeat)
- AMERICA'S GOT TALENT (repeat)
- THE MARRIAGE REF - Rachael Ray, Larry Miller and J.B. Smoove give marital advice.
- THE SIMPSONS (repeat)
- THE CLEVELAND SHOW (repeat)
- FAMILY GUY (repeat)
- AMERICAN DAD (repeat)
- EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION (repeat)
- THE BACHELORETTE - Ashley faces the bachelors she rejected; a sneak peek of the season finale.
- BREAKING BAD - Events spiral out of control; a friend asks Hank for help.
- TRUE BLOOD - Sookie searches for Jason; Marnie connects with spirits; Tommy trades place with Sam; Eric surrenders to his King's will.
- CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM - Larry vows to invalidate a dating taboo; Larry regrets making concessions to his neighbor.
- ENTOURAGE - Vince's film is reinmagined as a TV movie; Ari takes Lloyd on a recon mission.
- KEEPING UP WITH THE KARDASHIANS - Bruce teaches the girls a lesson; Kris's incontinence issue gets worse.
- ICO LOVES COCO - Ice and Coco renew their vows and throw an LA party.
- LEVERAGE - While the team inviltrates a high tech home to steal a computer chip, the family's child is abducted from a carnival.
- FALLING SKIES - Tom worries about Weaver's increasingly strange behavior; Pope tries to find a more efficient way to kill mechs.
- IN PLAIN SIGHT - Mary protects a courtesan from the gangster father of her baby.
OFF BEAT BRIEFS!
WOMAN IN BIKINI KICKED OUT OF WAL-MART: A woman in Eugene, Oregon who was wearing a string bikini while shopping at Wal-Mart says she was kicked out for her attire. Sandy McMillin said it was 90 degrees out so she threw on her bikini top and shorts to hit her local Wal-Mart. After just minutes in the store she says she was confronted and told to put a shirt on or leave. McMillin explained, "I was horrified. I am embarrassed . . . It's wrong. If you don't like the way someone looks, don't look at them . . . I hadn't done anything obnoxious or outlandish." A Wal-Mart spokeswoman told reporters that McMillin allegedly "verbally abused" others in the store, adding, "It was not our intent to offend the customer, and we have apologized to her." (Huffington Post)
CHECK IT OUT
WEBSITE TELLS YOU IF IT'S BS OR NOT: Ever wonder how much of advertising and news is laced with BS? Bernd Wurm, a former communication sciences student, was frustrated with the perpetual use of empty words in ads and press releases so he came up with a web app called the "Blablameter." Users can go on to his site at BlaBlaMeter.com and paste any text into a window that will calculate how much of that text is BS. Using a "Bullsh*t Index" and a scale from 0 to 1, Wurm's software will check for unnecessary words and grammar that could indicate a higher amount of BS in the text.
WOMAN FAKES CANCER GETS PRISON: A Norristown, Pennsylvania woman who faked having cancer to get donations has been sentenced to prison. The judge sentenced 27-year-old Alicia Tolton, who plead guilty, to 11 1/2 to 23 months in prison for theft by deception, forgery and other counts. Tolton lied about her health to get donations from friends so she could pay bills and get rid of a drug debt. Her friends who said they organized a benefit last year to raise money for Tolton said they felt humiliated by the betrayal. Among the cash gifts received from the Fundraiser Tolton also got two tickets to a Philadelphia Eagles game. (CBS News)
CASEY ANTHONY MASK SELLS FOR NEARLY $1 MILLION: An eBay seller who listed a Halloween mask that resembles Casey Anthony says the mask sold for $999,000. In the listing the item is described as "sculpted to precision for a parody video by enigmatic pop artist/scultpor Torro." The description also said, "Forget Freddy, Jason, Meyers, here's our chance to scare the *#&% out of everyone and win every costume contest with this amazing Tot Mom latex rubber mask, possibly the most frightening mask on the planet. And I can almost guarantee it's the 'only' Casey mask on the planet." (UPI)
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW....
ATTRACTIVE POLITICIANS DO BETTER AT THE POLLS: A recent MIT study found that more attractive candidates are also more successful at the polls -- at least among TV viewers. More than 36,000 voters in the MIT study rated a politician's appearance on a 1-to-100 scale. For every 10-point looks advantage a male politician had over an opponent, the better-looking candidate experienced a 5 percent boost at the polls among people who clocked at least 12 hours of TV time per week. Among people who watched little or no TV, an attractive candidates received just a 1 percent voting advantage. However -- the "hotness effect" did not translate to female candidates. (Men's Health)
'MISTAKE' CHILDREN DEVELOP MORE SLOWLY: If your child was a "mistake" -- aka an unplanned pregnancy -- he or she might have some extra problems to contend with. The British Medical Journal reported that children that are the result of unplanned pregnancies tend to experience developmental delays. The study found that other factors, like disadvantaged socioeconomic situations, also limit the child's vocabulary and spatial abilities. (Fox News)
- Do you become more laxed about your health during a pregnancy if you aren't excited about it?
WOMEN ARE MORE DARING THAN MEN: Women apparently take more risks that the stereotypically-more-daring other gender. The authors of a new study explained, "The typical view is that women take less risks than men, that it starts early in childhood, in all cultures, and so on. Men are willing to take more risks in finances. But women take more social risks -- a category that includes things like starting a new career in your mid-30s or speaking your mind about an unpopular issue in a meeting at work." (UPI)
HOTTEST BABY NAMES OF 2011 (NameBerry.com via The Frisky)
- Pippa. Obviously a credit to Ms. Middleton and her butt.
- Elula. Isla Fisher and Sacha Baron Cohen gave their second daughter this name, which apparently comes from the Hebrew calendar. It didn't even register on the list last year, so because it suddenly popped up in searches this year.
- Everett. More commonly a boys name, Everett -- which is linked to more feminine names like Eva and Ever -- suddenly became a top-searched girls name.
- Hadley. The novel The Paris Wife, about Ernest Hemingway's first wife Hadley Richardson, is likely responsible for this name jumping 50 spots.
- Mila. A sign of Ms. Kunis' popularity.
- Ada, Adele, Adeline, Adelaide. These old-fashioned names are back again, probably thanks to the popularity of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep."
- Luna. The Beckhams named their baby girl Harper, one of last year's hottest baby names. But during Posh's pregnancy, they were rumored to be considering the name 'Luna.; For that reason-- and, perhaps the popularity of Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter -- this name makes the list in 2011
- Asher. Henry has long been the number one all-time boys name on Nameberry, but this is the first year that Asher has pulled ahead.
- Arlo. This name's sudden hotness is a bit inexplicable, although other names ending in -o -- like Nico, Hugo, and Otto -- are also on the rise.
- Flynn. Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr gave their baby boy this name.
- Archer. This year's most trendy literary name -- like Holden, Harper, and Atticus in years past -- based on characters in Portrait of a Lady and The Age of Innocence.
RESULTS FROM THE GREAT FEMALE SURVEY OF 2011 (AskMen.com)
The jury is out for women when it comes to who pays on a date: 33% expect the guy to pay for most dates, but a significant number ( 38%) feel it should be 50-50 -- he should pay half of the time, and women pay half the time.
"The Rules, According to Facebook" aren't yet established: 38% are fine with your boyfriend/husband friending an ex on FB, but another 27% say it's okay only if you've met the ex before. And 34% say it's not okay for the guy to friend an ex at all.
Online dating has lost its negative stigma. 31% have met a guy online and of those, 12% have gone on to have a relationship. And 22% say you definitely wouldn't rule out the internet as a way of meeting guys.
Could it be the economy? A sizable majority -- 73% -- are perfectly comfortable if a guy makes less than they do. And 12% of respondents are already in a relationship where they make more money than the guy. But there are still the traditionalists: 25% feel that the ultimate status symbol is a successful husband or boyfriend. And "being dominated" ranks as the top sexual fantasy -- 35% say it's the sexual act most often fantasized about.
Sick of the Man-Child. 11% had issues with their guy's laziness and lack of ambition.
53% would want the guy to take a male birth control pill if one existed.
Only 20% would dump a boyfriend if he got fat, and only 18% want their guy's penis to be bigger.
26% of you have, at one time or another, fantasized about a boyfriend or husband's friends. As for full-on cheating, 12% would be tempted to cheat, as long as there was no way of your guy finding out. And many of you -- 13% -- know someone who has actually set up a secret Facebook account to conceal a relationship from your S.O.
35% have lied about the number of sex partners they've had, and 54% have faked an O.
What is the name of The Smurf's dog?
Puppy is a magical creature which was designed to look like a dog. He was offered as a gift to Papa Smurf by Homnibus. It was Baby Smurf, however, who opened the enchanted locket around Puppy's neck and became the dog's true master. Puppy is a good friend to the Smurflings and protects the Smurfs from Gargamel's cat Azrael.
WATER COOLER TALK
Larry Flynt Has Offered Casey Anthony $500K to Pose Nude for 'Hustler'Casey Anthony reportedly is seeking upwards of $1 million from media outlets to tell her story, but she wouldn't have to say a word if she accepts Larry Flynt's offer of $500,000 plus 10 percent of all profits to pose naked for Hustler. Flynt said on HLN's Nancy Grace show last night (July 28th) that talks are ongoing for Anthony to appear in his magazine, but her camp called the report "nonsense." Flynt said that after Anthony was acquitted of killing her two-year-old daughter Caylee, he didn't intially consider making her an offer. But he said he changed his mind after being approached by what he described as "droves of men" as he toured the country promoting his book, who would tell him he should try to get Anthony in his magazine because they thought she was attractive. Playboy founder Hugh Hefner said earlier this month that he got a similar flood of requests about Anthony, but he rejected the idea. He told CNN's Piers Morgan, "It is amazing the number of people that have tweeted me immediately after [the verdict], asking whether or not we would do a pictorial on her. And the answer is simply no. I wouldn't reward someone like that for what has happened."
Judge Orders Circumcision Ban Off the San Francisco Ballot
A judge yesterday (July 28th) ruled that a proposal to ban circumcision of male children must be removed from San Francisco's November ballot, saying it violates the constitutional protection of religious freedom and the provision of California law that makes regulating medical procedures a function of the state, not cities. The citizens' initiative, which qualified for the ballot in May, didn't offer exemptions to the proposed ban for religions reasons. Both Jews and Muslims carry out circumcision on male children, and the city attorney's office had joined several Jewish organizations and Muslim parents in challenging the ban in court. Backers of the proposed ban argued it was necessary to prevent circumcision from being forced on children. Ban sponsor Lloyd Schofield said he's considering an appeal, saying, "We will not stop until all men are protected from this damaging and harmful surgery."
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE!!!!
Marine Lance Corporal Nicole McCoy will be getting an official answer to her request that Luke Bryan attend the upcoming Marine Corp Ball with her in their shared homestate of Georgia. The singer plans to tape a message to post online in response to Nicole's YouTube invitation to the Ball.
While flattered by the invitation, Luke tells us that he likely won't be able to attend. "We're figuring out what we're gonna do. First of all, it's certainly awesome to be asked to do that, and we know we're gonna respond. We're gonna do something. We don't think I'll be going to the Ball physically. I think what we're gonna do is next time I'm home in Albany, you know, let -- I think the girl's married, A, -- and so maybe her and her husband, maybe we'll do something nice for them -- take them out to dinner. You know, my dad owns . . . we've got a quail hunting operation. If they're outdoors people we may do a day where we take her and some of her people, you know, go out and do some quail hunting or something. We're gonna figure something out."
Luke says he is happy that media coverage of Marine Ball invitations to him and fellow celebrities Justin Timberlake, Mila Kunis and Betty White have all brought positive attention to the U.S. military.
- Both Justin and Mila have accepted their invitations, while Betty declined due to her TV taping schedule.
- Luke is currently on the road with Tim McGraw. The Emotional Traffic tour plays in Holmdel, New Jersey on Friday (July 29th).
- Luke's new album, Tailgates & Tanlines, will be in stores on August 9th.
Timing is everything, and for Trace Adkins' soon-to-be-released album, it's not so good! Trace just learned that his new CD, called Proud To Be Here, will be in stores on a very unfortunate day for him and possibly for the entire country. "My album comes out August the second, and when is the deadline for reaching an agreement on the debt crisis? August the second! So what do you think's gonna dominate the press that day? And there's little ol' me out there fightin' for scraps, tryin' to get somebody to pay attention to me. My album's comin' out. Oh yeah, that whole thing (about) we're all going down the toilet. 'Nevermind that, I've got a new album out today.' That's gonna be great! I'm supposed to be on the Today show and Fox & Friends. I wouldn't be surprised if I just get canceled, if they don't even wanna talk to me, and I would completely understand it. I really would. That's just my luck, though, you know?"
In all seriousness, Trace says the U.S. government needs to get its act together, and fast! "No, I don't have an opinion on what might happen. I think I know what should happen. I think we should start livin' within our means and whatever it takes to accomplish that's what we have to do. You know, I keep on hearin', 'Somebody's got to be the adult in the room.' My God, is it really that difficult for somebody to do that? I don't know. It's just so ludacris at this point that I don't even like to listen to that stuff anymore because the solutions seem to be so obvious to me and to probably most everybody else and why they can't get their heads wrapped around it is beyond me. I don't know."
- Trace's latest single, "Just Fishin'," continues its climb up the charts.
- Proud To Be Here will be Trace's 10th studio album.
- It's his second for Showdog/Universal Records, which is co-owned by Toby Keith.
Taylor Swift will be on hand to accept the highest honor at the upcoming Teen Choice Awards. She will receive the Ultimate Choice Award during during the live broadcast on Sunday, August 7th at 8 p.m. ET on FOX. The award honors Taylor for her contributions to the entertainment industry.
- Fans are encouraged to tweet why Taylor is their Ultimate Choice to @TeenChoiceGirl. Those tweets have a good chance of being featured during the show.
- In addition to Teen Choice Awards nods for Female Country Artist and Country Single for "Mean," Taylor was included in the overall categories for Choice Music: Love Song for "Mine"; Choice Break-Up Song for "Back to December"; and Choice Red Carpet Fashion Icon: Female.
- Past recipients of the Ultimate Choice Award include Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Reese Witherspoon, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Mike Myers.
- Viewers can get an exclusive look at the Teen Choice 2011 red carpet and backstage action with a special live webcast airing August 7th beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET. or online at teenchoiceawards.com.
Fans can now watch the brand new video for Brad Paisley's current single, "Remind Me," featuringCarrie Underwood, on bradpaisley.com, carrieunderwoodofficial.com and cmt.com. The video will debut on GAC Turbo Track on Saturday (July 30th) and CMT's Hot Shot on Monday (August 1st).
The "Remind Me" clip was filmed in the El Mirage desert, which is about 90 miles north east of Los Angeles.
- Brad said, "This is my first desert video. I always said I wouldn't do one of those cliche desert videos but (director) Robert (Deaton) pitched his idea and it all made sense. It's a big metaphor -- Carrie and I are in a desert walking towards one another. It's as symbolic as it gets in reference to the song."
- Carrie added, "It was important to us that the video be shot with a sophisticated approach. The song and recording came together in such a wonderful, natural way. We wanted the video to also be something we could be proud of . . . and we are!"
- "Remind Me" is the third single from Brad's current album, This Is Country Music.
- The song sits at Number Nine on both the Billboard Country Singles Chart and Mediabase Country Singles Chart.
- Brad's H2O II tour rolls on to Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas on Saturday (July 30th).
CHECK IT OUT
Bucky Covington is denying reports that he allegedly stole money from a night club in Florida. The singer recently performed a show at the Iron Horse Saloon in Ormond Beach, after which promoterWilliam Fuller claims the former American Idol finalist and his twin brother and sister-in-law took $1500 from the club.
Bucky was charged with grand theft, but he is proclaiming his innocence. Bucky told the Daytona Beach News-Journal, "It's absolutely and completely false. The promoter didn't have his fingers together. He did not pay people. I didn't get paid. This is just a paint job gone bad."
Bucky says that he is considering taking legal action against the promoter because in addition to not getting paid, he is out the $2500 it cost him to get his tour bus to the show.
- Bucky performs on Saturday (July 30th) at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington.
- Bucky's only full studio CD, titled Bucky Covington, was released in 2007.
- He released an EP called I'm Alright in 2010.
Eric Church's brand new CD, Chief, is the Number One album on iTunes. It is also on track to debut at Number One on both the Billboard pop and country albums chart next week. Chief was released earlier this week.
Q. What superstar's real last name is Covel?
A. Toby Keith
ON THE TUBE
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW/SYN (check local listings)
The Band Perry
THE COLLECTION: MARTINA McBRIDE/GAC 11:00AM (ET)
THE COLLECTION: BILLY CURRINGTON/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
THE COLLECTION: REBA McENTIRE/GAC 11:00PM (ET)